Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking for good meatloaf recipe

I do most of the cooking, but sometimes my wife decides to make her meatloaf.
Does anyone have a good meatloaf recipe they would share? I could use a good slow cooker one also.

Stan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My favorite meatloaf recipe ever came from Alton Brown's Good Eats show on the Food Network. It's a little more work than your average meatloaf, but it's absolutely delicious so worth the effort! I've seen a few slow cooker meatloaf recipes on AllRecipes.com and they look like basic meatloaf ingredients, just cooked in a crock pot for 4 hours (high) to 6 hours (low). So, though I've yet to try it that way myself, I would guess you could make this in a slow cooker just as easily.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Hopefully that link will work. If not, go to the foodnetwork.com and search for good eats meatloaf.
CheetahGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have made many meat loaves over the years. Some were downright excelent

My suggestion is www.blackle.com (or Google if you like, same server) and type in: Meatloaf recipies

Expect a hit count that will amaze you One comma for sure, 2 likely
Old 04-08-2009, 07:00 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have a recipe I use that we like. The ingredients are variable.
1 1/2 lb. ground chuck
1/4 c beef bullion with 1 egg mixed in
1/4 c minced onion
1 c bread crumbs
1 T. mustard
1 T. worstershire sauce

I cook it in the microwave in a glass bread pan. Maybe 15 mins. on high or until done.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 AM   #5

The following recipe is one often requested by the chruch people for us to bring. It is my favorite meatloaf. It's called "Classic Interstate Meat Loaf."

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups finely chopped onion
1 medium green bell pepper, finally chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1 large celery rib, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
2 lbs ground beef
1/2 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup ketchup
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
4 slices of bacon, halved crosswise

In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. When it foams, add the onion, bell pepper, celery and thyme. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, onion mixture, oats, 1/3 cup ketchup, eggs, salt and pepper; mix thouroughly. Place the mixture into a large shallow baking dish and shape into a flat loaf about 2 inches high. Smooth the top and spread the remaining 1/3 cup ketchup over the loaf. Arrange the bacon strips overlapping them slightly, if necessary, on top of the ketchup.

Bake for about 1 1/4 hours, or until a thermometer registers 135 degrees. Let the loaf rest on a rack for 10 minutes before slicing.
The Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Most of the time I "cheat"! Hunts(you can find it with their canned tomato sauce)has a meat loaf sauce,add it,with an egg and crumbs for a good meat loaf every time!
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
delish.com is a good site for all kinds of recipes.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #8

This is our meatloaf. I developed it shortly after David & I met. He told me he hated meatloaf. After eating his Mom's meatloaf, I could understand why. I make 1 large meatloaf. There are only the three of us but never any leftovers. Stacey really likes it. We have to get before she does (98 lbs and all hollow)! The 90/10 ground beef from Sam's Club makes a really good meatloaf with very little fat drippings. I usually line the bottom section of the broiler pan with foil to make clean up easier. This freezes well. A little meatloaf tucked away in the freezer already cooked is a handy thing to have.

MEATL0AF
Makes 1 large loaf or 2 small loaves

Cook's Note: I make Oat Flour by processing regular rollled oats (old-fashioned oatmeal) in a food processor with a knife blade until it is finely ground. I use 90/10 ground beef for my meatloaf.

Combine 2 LB LEAN GROUND BEEF, 1 C OAT FLOUR, 1 FINELY CHOPPED MEDIUM ONION (1/2 C), 1/2 C KETCHUP, 1/4 C MILK, 2 LIGHTLY BEATEN EGGS, 1 TSP SALT and 1/4 TSP PEPPER in a large bowl. Mix well with your hands. Shape into either 1 large loaf or 2 smaller loaves (7 1/2" X 4"). Place on a lightly greased rack of a broiler pan. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes. Let sit a few minutes before cutting.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the replies. I finally got around to trying Lorna's last night and DW said it was the best she has ever had - she likes Craker Barrel's meatloaf and said it was better than theirs.

I will try some of the others in the coming weeks.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #10

I do a cajun meatloaf that is Paul Prudhomme's recipe. You can google it. It is spice hot. But its the only meatloaf my 15 yr old son will eat now. I used to fly in the Navy with a cajun. He said nothing was too hot for him. LOL. I made this which is warm but I added Pauls recipe for sauce for beef. I never saw this guy sweat so much trying to eat. I do the sauce for me but not my son. It is very spicy hot. The meatloaf is warm but not over powering.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #11

I have to go with CheetahGirl on this one! I have tried an awful lot of meat loaf recipes over the years and this one beats them all hands down. If you follow it to the letter it will give you a meat loaf to die for. The cold meat loaf sandwich's made with this recipe are the absolute best

2006 Cougar 289 EFS
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
what ever the recipe is, i always make a log out of foil to put the meatloaf on so the grease will collect on the bottom and loaf won't be soggy.
bakdraf is offline   Reply With Quote