Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:45 AM   #15

Bev TY.
EdwardMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardMH View Post
Bev TY.
YW.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #17

We bought a used rig, and kept shopping around until we found one with a stove that had an oven. We both are kinda addicted to home-baked bread. For crockery, we went with Corelle, mainly for its resistance to breakage. Our "glass"ware is actually clear acrylic. My coffee maker is a Black & Decker single cup brewer. It works with filter paper and ground coffee - a lot cheaper than the Keurig type.

Initially, I got a Weber Q220 grill for barbecuing, but I found it wouldn't go through the stowbin doors without taking the lid off. It's now the patio BBQ at home! The smaller Q-100 works fine, but not having the fold-out shelves is a PITA.

For propane for grilling, I got a low-rise 10-lb portable that has the same base ring as a 20-pounder. I got a base stabilizer from Camping World and bolted it to the floor of a stowbin. It retains the bottle very well when travelling.

I'd heard stories of folks getting grill temps over 600 degrees on a minimum setting when they tried to use the low-pressure side of the RV's propane system. I wasn't comfortable tapping the HP side and having a 25' hose with that pressure draped across the campsite to the picnic table.

Unfortunately, after 4 years use, we're having to give up the lifestyle because of cost.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #18

I am still researching the costs I am told if I plan to park in one place 3-6 months at a time I can live a lot cheaper than if I go rent or get a mortgage on a home. I am 50 years old and Medically retired will be debt free in a couple Months no life savings to speak of. I was hoping the RV lifestyle would be affordable for me and my service Dog on $3,000 a month. Is this possible?
Old 10-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Quote:
$3,000 a month. Is this possible?

Absolutely. I have to work full time to take home that kind of pay. You are blessed.

Start living the dream!
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #20

I would suggest a small panini press. It doubles as an indoor grill. Perfect for making grilled sandwiches, and quesadillas. Quick, easy, doesn't take up too much space, and it is perfect for cooking for one or two.
Snownomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I was hoping the RV lifestyle would be affordable for me and my service Dog on $3,000 a month. Is this possible?
My wife and I aren't planning to go full time any time soon, but I've been doing tons of research on the subject because full-timing represents the most it should ever cost to live this lifestyle. Here's one very informative look at a real-life budget:

The Cost of Living full time on the Road in an RV

They have expenses that you're not likely to share, so read each of the quarterly reports and decide what does and doesn't apply to you. After everything I've read on the subject, I think $3,000 monthly for just you and your best friend would be very doable... depending on where you stay (rent) and how much you travel (diesel).

By the way - If you haven't read the Wynn's blog yet, you should. It'll give you excellent idea of what you're in for, what to look for and how to do it better. Start here and explore it all, including the other blogs they follow:

rving

The very best of luck to you

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:52 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Items I use most are:
Crock pot
Steamer
Microwave
And a small electric oven (It is a very very large toaster oven if you like)
I am working at getting a full kitchen but those are the main items.

I find the steamer very handy.. Unlike a pan on the stove food never sticks to the pan, nor does it burn. You can over cook, but ... Well, you can not burn.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #23

I read the Wynns blog already, great stuff, I do not have a RV yet and am already considering a composting toilet lol
Old 07-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #24

Crock pot,iron skillets,dutch oven
Paul Vines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our two main appliances are:
Cuisinart Griddler
Aroma rice cooker/steamer/slow cooker
Old 08-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Hands down it is the Keurig! And because I have rheumatoid disease I cannot function without a mandoline...the cats need their water fountain.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #27

Given what I have seen so far I would say a can opener, pot, and mug. After than it gets optional. I have made a lot of meals that way.

Cooking for one means you can use any kind of dishes that appeal to you as service for two does not weigh much. (spares are always good.) Most of us can cook quite well on a gas cook top. After than you are buying convenience. There is no reason to buy convenience that you do not use and do not have room to store. OTOH if you are planning on cooking then I would start with a pot around a qt and one around 2 -3 quarts. That gives you the can of soup/bowl of oatmeal size and stew or pasta size. If you like sets buy from a line that is open stock so you can add as needed. There are open stock lines of anything from junk to Haute Cuisine. Make sure it is weighty and you will be fine. Thin stamped sheet stuff sucks. Also get a frying pan around 8-10 inches. Add a cutting board with a paring knife and an 8-10 in chef knife. They will do most cutting chores and peel if needed. A big spoon. slotted spoon, spatula and one of the silicone (high temp) spatula/scraper things will round out the kitchen. You also need measuring cups and spoons and a colander or large strainer. With a similar setup I have made a lot of meals. It was my standard camping rig for many years then ended up in the MH. More things have been added but you can manage with that to start. As you figure out things like a potato peeler would beat the paring knife then you will know you need one. If you never figure it out you do not need to waste money and space. That goes for about everything else. Cooking is fun and can be very simple. I hope you learn to enjoy it but the best way is to start simple and add as your skills build. There is nothing wrong with old but good over new but junk.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:30 AM   #28

If you're not into cooking much, it might be best to get on the road, and then buy appliances if you know you'll use them.

For example, I use a ninja blender 4-6x per week for smoothies, pico de gallo, margaritas, salad dressings, marinades. A small hand mixer does whipped cream, batters, mashed potatoes. But, all those foods can be had without cooking them yourself. Would you use those appliances?
rolling_rhod is offline   Reply With Quote