Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
New to cast iron

I bought a cast iron frying pan a little more than a week ago. I've used it nearly every day since then to fry things that make or use some grease, like bacon and eggs.

Any idea how long it will take before the surface becomes non stick? I'm leaving bits of egg behind every time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you season it before the first use?

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockTank View Post
Did you season it before the first use?
What they said ^^^^

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Wash the skillet with warm, soapy water and a sponge or stiff brush. Cast iron should not normally be washed with soap, but it's fine here since the pan is about to be seasoned.
3. Rinse and thoroughly dry the skillet.
4. Using a cloth or paper towel, apply a thin coat of vegetable oil or melted shortening to the inside and outside of the skillet. Vegetable oil and shortening are the most commonly recommended oils used for seasoning, but according to Lodge, you can use any oil of your choice.
5. Place the skillet upside down on the oven's center rack.
6. Place a sheet of aluminum foil below the rack to catch any drips.
7. Bake for an hour.
8. Turn off heat and allow to the skillet to cool completely before removing from oven.
Additional Notes: A seasoned skillet is smooth, shiny, and non-stick. You'll know it's time to re-season if food sticks to the surface or if the skillet appears dull or rusted.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Cast Iron fry pans are great but some knowledge about first use (seasoning) and care is good to know.

Click here --> Truth About Cast Iron - Some bad Myths
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #5

I have better luck seasoning my cast iron with lard. And the seasoning process works better if done multiple times over several days i.e once per day. Then start using.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #6

My grandma seasoned mine in the oven with lard and potatoes. That was 40 years ago; still perfect
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So, pre-seasoned is marketing hype? It's a Lodge pan, says "Pre-Seasoned" on the label. I ass-u-med that it would get better with use, and by using oil or fat containing ingredients, like bacon, would help it.

Should I wash it really good and oven season it with veggie oil? Or just keep on going and it will get better with more use?
Old 07-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #8
YC1

Heck, fry some bacon and potatoes. Eat em. Don't clean it out. Let it sit overnight. When you clean it just wipe it with a wad of newspaper. Leave it shiny and a bit greasy. Next time, heat it up and while it is getting warm enough to melt anything wipe it out again. Now use plenty of cooking oil and fix your next meal. Let the cooking oil get nice and hot before adding any ingredients.

Cast iron never becomes teflon but with the proper cooking and cleaning you won't care.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #9

After seasoning never use soap on it again!!!!!! Wipe it out while warm, not hot, with a damp cloth or paper towel. That also works with non stick.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
After seasoning never use soap on it again!!!!!! Wipe it out while warm, not hot, with a damp cloth or paper towel. That also works with non stick.
I have never washed mine in 40 years. put a little butter in warm pan and wipe with paper towel also.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
So, pre-seasoned is marketing hype? It's a Lodge pan, says "Pre-Seasoned" on the label. I ass-u-med that it would get better with use, and by using oil or fat containing ingredients, like bacon, would help it.

Should I wash it really good and oven season it with veggie oil? Or just keep on going and it will get better with more use?

The pre-seasoned thing is hype. I had to redo mine like 5 cycles. Don't over season it. Has too be multiple thin coatings! Not one big thick one!

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a lodge Dutch oven and a few competitor's products.. I season Even if it says pre-season I still re-season.. Wash with warm water (Lodge says use no soap but I always wiped it out with a dishwater soaked dish rag) rinse and pat dry with paper towel. then heat to finish drying.

Do NOT soak in sink, Do not put in dishwasher Just wipe it out and dry.

Loosen any stuck on food till it gets less sticky using whatever means but try to be gentle to the pan. I really like my cast iron, Way better than the coated aluminum pans.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #13

How abut this idea: Think of the seasoning as a layer of paint. You can season "baking sheets" the same way for great cookies!

Yeah, "baking sheets" as if I ever make anything on them but cookies!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 AM   #14

And after rinsing out and drying I heat it back up and apply a very thin coat of Crisco. If I need to stack cast iron pans (and I have several sizes) I put a piece of paper towel between the pans, don't want to damage that nice layer of seasoning I've built up over the years.

Love my cast iron. It's great for induction cooking as well.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote