Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Portable Induction cooktop-which is best?

Hi all,

I am interested in buying a portable induction cooktop and would like to get some input on which brand model has worked well. I would like to get some real life experiences, especially if you have tried more than one variety.

I have been looking online at the Nuwave PIC 1,300 watt, the Nuwave PIC Pro 1,800 watt (some call it the titanium) and the Max Burton 6200 - 1,800 watt model.

Thanks for your input,

Stuart
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 02:48 AM   #2

Good info here: http://theinductionsite.com

We're in the design phase of a kitchen remodel. I am very interested in induction cooking, mostly for home, but also in the RV. I purchased two of the Max Burton units and returned both of them. Just about any cooktop will boil water very quickly. Low-temperature performance, however, is another story. The Max Burton units, despite their claims of 100 degree simmering, cannot sustain any temperature below 150 degrees. Also, there is an undocumented feature that shuts the cooktop off after two hours. I spoke with an engineer on their support line and he confirmed that neither if these design "features" will be changed. If you want to simmer and/or cook for more than two hours, look elsewhere. My next portable cooktop will be a Vollrath.

Mike
Old 01-16-2015, 05:34 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
We use a Berghoff unit in our RV and haven't used the lp stove top in years. The only criticism I have of this unit is that the edge of the unit is surrounded by a 1/4 inch frame of plastic. If your hot pan touches the plastic edge there is a small melt spot - you have to be careful it doesn't get near the edge. I would look for a unit that is glass all around the edge so that isn't an issue if we ever buy another one. good luck.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:45 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
We have been using the NuWave 1300 for several months and love it! It does have a timed shut off, but can be bypassed with the program feature. I simmered some beans all night recently.
rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:49 AM   #5

Nuwave....100%....been using it for two years now...still amazed how it operates...plug it in, set the temp and cook in seconds.
rjcopters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:55 AM   #6

I too have a Nuwave and love it. Can cook at low temps without boil overs. You do need to use pots and pans that a magnet will stick to on the bottom, cast iron works well.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just bought a BIG-BOSS "Smart Top" this is a 1300 watt model So far have used it twice,, Very happy with it.. Do not know how long it will run in slow cooker mode but throry says slow cooker mode should go for hours, and I'd have to look up the lowest temp it can hold (slow cooker mode is fixed) checked chart 150 is lowest programmable temp and 195 (fixed) on slow cook.

I paid 37.00 for it new and in the box from NoMoreRack.com (Incldes shipping and a 10 dollar credit I had with them)

With the 1800 watt units I would worry about the wiring in a motor home.. Those quick outlets they use have enough issues with a 1500 watt space heater. they are iffy at full power.

(I cooked a hamburger on my one and only piece of lodge cast iron Very fast (Used sear 400Degree setting) and made un-stuffed cabbage (used boil setting power 4 and my big Basic Essentials Cheif's pan with cover, first time I used that pan too, bought it.... long time ago).

(Unstufed cabbage recipe is basic cabbage roll, only instead of doing all that work you basicall make coleslaw and stir it all together.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone.

I do love cooking with induction. Have any of you compared the Nuwave 1,300 watt model with the Nuwave (Pro or titanium) 1,800 watt model. The most recent model is the Titanium and am interested if it is worth the extra expense. The Titanium is $140. It has a larger coil, more temperature settings and higher output.

Thanks,

Stuart
Old 01-17-2015, 06:47 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I said, in an RV, I would avoid 1800, stick with the 13, less likely to cause problems.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
As I said, in an RV, I would avoid 1800, stick with the 13, less likely to cause problems.
I agree on the 1300 opposed to the 1800. We also have the Nuwave and it has operated flawlessly.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I got a Tramontina 6 piece set from SAMS Club for $99.00--it comes with a frying pan and 2 pots with lids. It is adjustable from low watts to high (300-1800) and can be changed to degree from watts as well. Also has an auto shut off. I really love it. Saw it for sale at over $150 other places.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Nuwave PIC and would love it, if I could use it. It appears that it scares my dog to death. He shivers uncontrollably if it is turned on. Thought it was just a 1-2 time scare, but no, he just can't stand it. It has been reported that induction cooking can cause temporary tinnitus and young kids may actually be able to hear the very high pitched whine that the system generates. Too bad for me and our Nuwave and the second "free" one!
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote