Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #15

In my experience yes! That's why I mentioned it. The fancy programmable ones get finnacy but the simple ones work great. DW and I use a 1 1/2 quarter . Big enough for two. I don't make more than we will eat that way. When camping we don't have a lot of space in fridge for leftovers. While camping I like to cook over campfire but getting to wherever, I Like my crock pot. I do remember that there is a place on here for crock pot recipes . Stay safe and enjoy....Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #16

I just ordered the Instant Pot on Amazon's Prime Day. $50 off the regular price. I will try it's slow cooker functions plus will experiment with the pressure cooker function. That feature will be new to me. I am a huge slow cooker fan. I have a roast ready to go into my old crock pot in the morning!
SunnyAZgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a pot similar to the instant pot, It's ability to multi tasking, is great. I have used it to slow cook and it does a great job.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I see the post about using a simple crock pot. Do they run OK on MS inverters?
We have the MS2812...

For the two of us...(and it can make a light meal for four people) - we like the Instant Pot Mini-duo.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-M...words=Mini+duo

It is a perfect size...and the wattage is lower than the larger Instant Pot. I watched a YouTube video, where an Engineer compared efficiency of the Mini-duo to the larger Instant Pots. It took a little longer to reach temperature, but overall used less electricity. It would also be a better pairing when trying to work off an Inverter. If you have to run a generator, then I guess it really doesn’t matter as much.

It is the easiest meal maker we have. We carry some pre-prepped ziplock bags with spices and lentils. I add a little olive oil to the bottom in Sauté mode...sweat a chopped onion and garlic...add a pre packaged lentil/spice...water....put the top on, set the cook time...and done. Of course there are hundreds of Instant Pot recipes out there...
Old 02-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #19

An easy recipe. Cut up a couple potatoes course or wedges. Some carrots celery onion a couple chicken thighs layed on top of vegetables. Add a can of cream of chicken cook on high till done about 5 hrs ( do not add water unless you wish to make chicken soup ) . Dusty
Old 02-07-2018, 09:37 PM   #20

Oh on a side note. Change chicken to pork. Chops loin even Boston butt use cream of celery and you have several different meals. Beef and cream of mushroom. You get the idea. DWs go to. All just dump and go.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #21

Instant pot is awesome. We are wearing it out.

Crock pot went in the dumpster quick. Never again.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #22

Heck, I never use a slow cooker at home so I know I wouldn't use in the RV.
Most recipes that you cook to death in a slow cooker can be done very fast with a stove top pressure cooker.

Slow cook pot roast 4-8 hours
Pressure cook pot roast 1-1.5 hours

I have a pressure cooker and don't use that either.

I usually cook a pot roast in the oven or on the top burner.
Faster than a slow cooker, slower than a pressure cooker.
I can keep an eye on everything as it cooks and stop when perfectly done.

Just never got into the slow cooker thing.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #23

Foretravel Owners Club
When traveling, use a smaller crock pot on a no slip mat in the sink, put whatever we will have for dinner in it, (use a short bungie cord to keep the lid where it's supposed to be) plug it in (inverter on) after about 6 /7 hrs or so (when it starts to smell really good) park for the night, boil up some spuds and a veggie, by then the whatever is done. dinner is served..And a while after dinner.. make up some 3.2.1. cake with an ice cream topper.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
An easy recipe. Cut up a couple potatoes course or wedges. Some carrots celery onion a couple chicken thighs layed on top of vegetables. Add a can of cream of chicken cook on high till done about 5 hrs ( do not add water unless you wish to make chicken soup ) . Dusty

I do the same exact receipt in our electric pressure cooker and set the cook time for 10 minutes. It does take about 10 min to warm up and another 10 minutes to cool down and release pressure, but in 30 min time, ready to serve. I use the EPC at least once a week or more. Bean soup in 2 hours where it used to take 12-15 hours in a slow cooker.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
We have started using a sous vide to prepare meals ahead of time. We can cook meat to whatever doneness desired and either finish quickly on the stove or store in the fridge for use whenever we want.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We just bought an Instant Pot for our coach. I have been using at home just getting to know it. Tons of recipes plus an recipe APP for our phones. We bought the 6 quart version.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-M...ds=Instant+Pot

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #27

I still use both. It depends on what I’m cooking and the amount of time I have earlier or later in the day.

At home I have more time in the morning and get off at 8pm so pressure cooking that late while efficient takes longer than lifting the lid off the crockpot, filling a bowl and grabbing a fork.

I am really bad at planning ahead so usually pressure cook. I did chili in 30 min the other night. I have both a traditional pressure cooker an IP. Haven’t touched the traditional for years.

I will mention that veggies in the pressure cooker even when over cooked have a better texture and flavor instead of the flavor cooking out of the veggies into mush.

I usually don’t do either in the RV we usually camp and I use the Dutch oven. Although if I plan ahead I will throw something in the slow cooker if we are stopping for lunch.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #28

I cook lots in pressure cooker while camped.
After reading your posts I'm inspired to see if my pressure cooker will fit in the sink. Love the idea of cooking 'on the road'. Also, using a cooking bag in the cooker...how does that work?
Artsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr