Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > RV Gourmet
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Slow Cookers/Crock Pots

Looking for some recommendations on slow cookers suitable for RVs. Perhaps I'm underestimating our needs but I don't think a 6-7 quart slow cooker is a good choice simply because they will take up a lot of space. OTOH...is a 4 quart model enough for 2 and a reasonable amount of left overs.

One model I am looking at is the Cuisinart MSC-400. It is a bit pricy compared to middle range slow cookers but I like the aluminum pot and the ability to braise in that pot. Giving all the bouncing around I also like the aluminum over porcelain pot for durability.

The other consideration is size. The above model will not fit in our sink so if we wanted to slow cook something while traveling that would not work well. Are there any models that you use that work well and fit into a sink?

Any other thoughts?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
We use ours while traveling frequently. We run it with it in the sink. I love the smell of a roast cooking while driving all day. When we get set up at our spot for the night, dinner is ready, and delicious. So my requirement would be that it fit in the sink. I see nothing wrong with having a few leftovers for the next day or two.

I hope this helps,
Old 10-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We have two. A 6 quart and a 2 quart. The 6 is aluminum with silverstone lining. The 2 is ceramic. Have not had issues with either. We are able to "bungee" the smaller one on the counter. The large one is two piece so bungee is not an option.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #4

No matter what I can't seem to cook for 2...so I still have my 6 and 4. Of course the 6 doesn't fit in the sink especially for washing so I...wash it in the tub. Oh well still gets clean!! Can't live without my crockpot! Especially in the fall!!!
NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two one is a 4 or 5 quart oblong (West Bend I think) not really the best slow cooker the other is a "Lunchbox" dC/AC unit (Burton) not unlike those found in truck stops.. I normally use the big one.

Suggestion is this: Measure sink and measure display model .
Old 04-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #6

If you're running on an inverter. Stay with the simpler models. Just the the off warm low and high settings. The ones that program really finicky. Something I found out. They make those crock pots West Bend has them and Crock-Pot that the lives actually snap down. We use one in our travel trailer while we're on the road it's a 2 quart that we simply bungee the lid down and put it in our stainless steel sink. Just thought I'd let you know... Dusty .. Safe travels
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Hey just an aside, but have you considered a pressure cooker? Ours is a Cuisinart and programmable and does most of what a crock pot does, in 1/4 the time (or less) and lid locks down. Easy clean up Just an idea. mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
We use a 3qt. Crock Pot. Place a towel in the bottom of the sink, place the Crock pot on top and plug it into a small inverter. I ran a heavy gauge (10 gauge) wire to the side of the cabinet and plug the inverter in there. That way we don't have to run the generator to use the Crock Pot. DW also uses the liners in the pot so clean up is just a matter of throwing away the bag. I agree with others the smell of dinner cooking is great. It's so nice to be able to pull into your site and have dinner on the table in a matter of minutes. We normally don't have left-overs, just cook what we can eat that day.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #9

I would not be able to use pressure cooker they wanted is higher than my little inverter would accept. They usually run about 1500 watts and my little inverter only pumps out 400 I use it mostly where am I BiPAP machine when I sleep. And it would draw too hard on my truck. The wire is only a 10 gauge. That's about 10 a.m. for the hundred what that the Crock-Pot uses. Good thought though thank you for saying it ... Safe travels Dusty.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #10

Just thought I would have a recipe that is quick and easy. Before you leave put a couple of pieces of chicken some potatoes and chopped up onion and a little celery into the crock pot pour over a can of cream of chicken soup. Condensed soup works best. Plug in turn on home
Old 07-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #11

Plug it in turn it on high probably about 4 hours maybe 5 when you get there trailer smells great and supper is ready. Not sure when I get there the last post but this is the last of it or at least the way it's supposed to be. Safe travels... Dusty
Old 07-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #12

I got wondering if a 12 volt crockpot was available...Google found this...

I don't know if 1.5 qts. is large enough, but it looks purpose built for cooking while traveling.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Herself decided on a pressure cooker. Gave away the crock pot and the steamer (for rice etc.) She used one at home, until she could no longer replace the seal. Was a 1940 model! Does all the things that the others did. We have only used it when parked, as it cook so fast.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I see the post about using a simple crock pot. Do they run OK on MS inverters?
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr