iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Alpine Coach Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   A couple of "hacks" for an '01 (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/a-couple-of-hacks-for-an-01-a-10105.html)

F&D ABQ 06-10-2005 11:50 AM

Socrates was right: Ask the right question and the answer suggests itself.

After I broke off the catch for the sliding door on the wardrobe (and fixed it using epoxy -- wonderful stuff), my first "fix" was to make a label saying "don't pull on this". Then I wondered why the catch was made to look like a handle anyway. So I sawed off the nonfunctional, but tempting, part of the catch.

After complaining about the difficulty of using the various (important!) controls in the slideout cabinet between the driver and copilot, I realized that Alpine's original intent was to have the slideout slid out when underway. But it wouldn't stay out.

My solution: Loosely attach a latch-board under the drawer, between the drawer slides, so that it will drop down against the plywood bottom of the cabinet. The screws for the latchboard go into the bottom of the drawar (which is sturdy plywood) at the pull-out end of the drawer. My latchboard is about 8 inches long by three inches wide by 3/8 inch thick, but the dimensions aren't critical. I have a little lip at the fixed-cabinet end so the board won't drop down too far. To release, reach under the (open) drawer and push the latchboard up.

(Boy, a picture would be nice -- but I don't know how to post one.)

Now, does anyone know where I can conveniently get 12 volt power to the over-bed cabinet so I can install a couple of reading lights?

Franklin

F&D ABQ 06-10-2005 11:50 AM

Socrates was right: Ask the right question and the answer suggests itself.

After I broke off the catch for the sliding door on the wardrobe (and fixed it using epoxy -- wonderful stuff), my first "fix" was to make a label saying "don't pull on this". Then I wondered why the catch was made to look like a handle anyway. So I sawed off the nonfunctional, but tempting, part of the catch.

After complaining about the difficulty of using the various (important!) controls in the slideout cabinet between the driver and copilot, I realized that Alpine's original intent was to have the slideout slid out when underway. But it wouldn't stay out.

My solution: Loosely attach a latch-board under the drawer, between the drawer slides, so that it will drop down against the plywood bottom of the cabinet. The screws for the latchboard go into the bottom of the drawar (which is sturdy plywood) at the pull-out end of the drawer. My latchboard is about 8 inches long by three inches wide by 3/8 inch thick, but the dimensions aren't critical. I have a little lip at the fixed-cabinet end so the board won't drop down too far. To release, reach under the (open) drawer and push the latchboard up.

(Boy, a picture would be nice -- but I don't know how to post one.)

Now, does anyone know where I can conveniently get 12 volt power to the over-bed cabinet so I can install a couple of reading lights?

Franklin

EngineerMike 06-10-2005 12:13 PM

The space between the back of cabinet & rear end-cap of coach may be hollow. You could verify w/a mirror thru the rear engine hatch. If yes, you can get 12V w/a fuse from the chassis area (batt compartment?) & fish the wiring up the hollow space, affixing new chafing loom w/zip-ties along the way.