iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/)
-   -   Journey toad light wiring dilemma (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/journey-toad-light-wiring-dilemma-10229.html)

smlranger 03-13-2005 01:47 PM

My toad is 4 wire system, obviously the Journey is 5 wire. Now, I thought this was easy...went to Wally World and got my Hoppy 5 to 4 converter. Crawled under the coach and, duh, there is already one mounted there. However, there is only a 6 pin round connector at rear of coach. Called previous owner in Florida...he says his old toad was 4 wire and dealer installed the Hoppy converter. Then he got a Honda Pilot with separate stop/turn lights and dealer changed it back to 5 wire. Since he said the 6 pin connector was back to normal (wired for his Pilot), I wired the 5 input wires on my Hoppy converter into the 6 pin plug the plugged my toad cable into the 4 wire outlet on the Hoppy..it did not work.

I have tried everything short of undoing all the wiring at the rear and all I can get is tail/running lights on toad.

Any ideas, suggestions?

smlranger 03-13-2005 01:47 PM

My toad is 4 wire system, obviously the Journey is 5 wire. Now, I thought this was easy...went to Wally World and got my Hoppy 5 to 4 converter. Crawled under the coach and, duh, there is already one mounted there. However, there is only a 6 pin round connector at rear of coach. Called previous owner in Florida...he says his old toad was 4 wire and dealer installed the Hoppy converter. Then he got a Honda Pilot with separate stop/turn lights and dealer changed it back to 5 wire. Since he said the 6 pin connector was back to normal (wired for his Pilot), I wired the 5 input wires on my Hoppy converter into the 6 pin plug the plugged my toad cable into the 4 wire outlet on the Hoppy..it did not work.

I have tried everything short of undoing all the wiring at the rear and all I can get is tail/running lights on toad.

Any ideas, suggestions?

tomsm 03-13-2005 04:44 PM

My Journey has a 7 pin connector, but it is set up as a 4 pin system for the toad as it comes from the factory. Looking at the separate lights on the Journey, I expected a 5 wire also, but I believe the connector is supplied by Freightliner.

According to the diagram in my owner's manual, if you're looking straight on at the connector, the pin at 3 o'clock is "RH STOP/TURN", at 7 o'clock is "-"(ground), at 9 o'clock is "LH STOP/TURN", and at 11 o'clock is "RUNNING LAMPS". I wired my 4 wire toad hookup according to this and it works fine.

Joe-K 03-14-2005 07:09 AM

If your factory connector was rewired by the previous owner, you might be better off starting from scratch.

When I bought our new Journey, I just took the factory connector off and left all the wires hanging. From there, with a test light, it was quick to determine which wires were the turnsignals, marker lights, and break lights. Those wires I then connected to a converter and ran the output of the converter to a 6 way connector I put on the coach. I hate trying to figure someone else's wiring scheme. Simpler to start over.

The other two wires on my 6-way connector are for the braking unit.

smlranger 03-14-2005 10:01 AM

Joe:

I talked to the dealer service guys today. The remember re-doing that coach when the previous got the new toad but cannot remember exactly what they did. I realized they might not but thought it was worth a call. I had pretty much decide to start over and re-do it. I want to re-wire the 6 way as it should be from the factory. Then I want to wire the input of my new Hoppy converter to a 6 way female connector and plug it into the factory connector on the coach. The new Hoppy converter I have has a flat 4 outlet connector. This way, if I ever get a different toad with separate turn sigs, I can just unplut the converter and I should be good to go.

thanks.