iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Good Sam vs. FMCA (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/good-sam-vs-fmca-102328.html)

sdennislee 09-06-2011 02:48 AM

Good Sam vs. FMCA

Has anyone had both memberships and have a reason why one is preferred over the other.

I have GS and no complaints so far (2 yrs) other than the amount of junk mail.

Looked into FMCA, looks similar at face value. I noticed they talk about a partnership with Passport America which I have also considered because of the 50% discount. I see FMC list benefits like fuel programs with FLying J but it seems to be the same discount I get with Flying J card.

Emailed FMCA customer service about their relationship with Passport America haven't heard back yet.

Just curious if you guys have seen a bigger benefit to one or the other

Wizard 09-06-2011 07:29 AM

I have both and can't tell much difference. The only thing I dislike about FMCA is that we have friends that have non-motorized RV's and they are not welcome at FMCA, Goodsam takes everyone equal

As for junk mail, seems as I get about the same amount from both.

The reason I have both is that I got a free membership the last time I traded and already had the other

Gary RVRoamer 09-06-2011 08:50 AM

FMCA magazine is far better than GS Highways. FMCA has a mail-forwarding service if you have need of one.

FMCA is owned by its members and exists to provide services to them. GS is a profit-making business owned by Affinity Group, which also owns Trailer Life, Woodalls, CW, etc. They exist to sell you stuff.

Many places give discounts to both GS and FMCA, so not much difference there. The Pilot/FJ discount is the same for all. FMCA gets an extra $5 off Passport America when you sign up, and also a discount on Coach-Net services.

GS is open to motorhomes and trailers, so their rallies are too, whereas FMCA is motorhome only.

You might also consider Escapees, another large RVing organization.

sdennislee 09-06-2011 09:29 AM

I think the discount with Passport America is worth it. I think I will move to FMCA.

Thanks for responding

1ciderdog 09-06-2011 11:35 AM

I have both and do get a lot of junk mail from Good Sam - none from FCMA.
Safe Travels
Bob

sdennislee 09-06-2011 11:38 AM

Got a very nice email back from FMCA customer service re. membership benefits. Joining and taking advantage of the $5.00 off membership in Passport America.

Billieg 09-06-2011 11:43 AM

Sold my Class A and got a 5th wheel so I guess I kicked myself out FMCA :sad:

Bob and Inga 09-06-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdennislee (Post 950680)
Got a very nice email back from FMCA customer service re. membership benefits. Joining and taking advantage of the $5.00 off membership in Passport America.

Make sure to use the FMCA discount code and that you get the extra months in addition to the discount. On a three year PA membership you get an extra 6 months free. Also, FMCA now has a discount program with Michelin, it is no longer a rumor but a done deal. But you still need to shop around first.

FMCA Member Benefits | Connections

We are full time and belong to both organizations as the benefits and advantages to each are very different.

Bob

Mr_D 09-06-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard (Post 950401)
I have both and can't tell much difference. The only thing I dislike about FMCA is that we have friends that have non-motorized RV's and they are not welcome at FMCA, Goodsam takes everyone equal

As for junk mail, seems as I get about the same amount from both.

The reason I have both is that I got a free membership the last time I traded and already had the other

FMCA has now opened up some of their rallies to non motorized RV's.

Mr_D 09-06-2011 04:10 PM

We are Charter GS Lifetime members. I would have quit years ago if I had been paying yearly for membership.
Unless GS upgrades their membership (like Marcus said at Redmond) I would not renew. Supposedly there are going to be extra benefits for longer membership in GS and Charter lifetime members get everything, like 10 a gallon discount at the J's. He even talked about Presidents Club membership as being included.
Minimum benefit for one year membership
Then each year adding more
Marcus said we should start seeing the new benefits in September.
Almost the same benefits although the FMCA magazine is FAR better than GS. Most places we've been give FMCA members the same discount as GS.

Half Dimes 09-06-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_D (Post 950882)

FMCA must be very happy with their membership base. Even though it may open up some of its rallies to folks with towables, it still doesn't want them as members. There are a number of other RVing groups that aren't as exclusionary, and we select from among those.

dons2346 09-07-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_D (Post 950882)

The only one was the Perry winter convention.

This is an excellent reason to belong to FMCA FMCAssist emergency medical evacuation

It is included with your annual dues and Good Sam has nothing like this with its membership.

Cat320 09-07-2011 12:37 PM

We have memberships in both and like both.

deandec 09-07-2011 01:41 PM

I have had both FMCA and Good Sam and sometimes at the same time.

I did not renew FMCA when they raised the dues to $40.

I did not renew Good Sam because they sent so much junk snail mail and early renewal notices.

This forum and RV.net are much more valuable for information than either of the magazines the clubs send out. And the forums are free.

I did sign up for Good Sam at an RV park because the discount paid for the membership giving me a year to save even more campground fees.

I will cancel again if it requires cash out of pocket.