iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Camping World vs. Good Sam (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/camping-world-vs-good-sam-104063.html)

GigiShaw 09-25-2011 06:20 PM

Camping World vs. Good Sam

Recently purchased 2005 Simba and, at same time, an extended warranty. After taking it out on 1st camping trip, we took MH to RV repair facility to have front end alignment done. They discovered crack in manifold exhaust among other things. Checklist from dealer indicates all items, including exhaust system, checked out fine. Now extended warranty administrator says all are pre-existing. No one wants to cover these and we are caught in the middle of two companies that are one. Any advice would be appreciated.

okgc 09-25-2011 06:42 PM

Did the selling dealer give you any sort of warranty?

I would be surprised to see any extended warranty company cover a cracked exhaust manifold.

texnet 09-25-2011 06:49 PM

Normally there is a window of time that a extended warranty will not cover anything just like some health insurance policies won't cover certain illnesses during the first 12 months. Since you said "recently purchased" your request for coverage may have been inside of the window.

GigiShaw 09-25-2011 07:09 PM

We did not find a window of non-coverage in the GS warranty policy.

Also, not being mechanically savvy, it would be helpful to know why a manifold exhaust would not be covered

Thanks so much for your replies. We really feel caught in the middle.

adamson 09-25-2011 08:04 PM

Extended warranty is basicly an insurance policy. I would make them show you where in the policy the items are excluded.

max49 09-25-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamson (Post 967797)
Extended warranty is basicly an insurance policy. I would make them show you where in the policy the items are excluded.

I agree, they insured it, did they have something in the policy that excluded 'pre existing conditions?'

I bought mine new. When I had a big blown engine claim, thy made me show records and receipts since it was new. How does that work if you buy a used MH?. I realize there is no maintenance for an exhaust manifold, but ESP companies try any thing to get out of paying a claim.
If they don't want to pay because they say it is a pre existing condition, they should have inspected it before accepting your money IMO.

navychaps 09-25-2011 09:30 PM

I just looked at my GS policy and it excludes exhaust systems. Now the definition of is is? :blush: I wonder if they are defining the exhaust manifold as part of the "exhaust system":banghead: Let us know how this turns out.:blink:

navychaps 09-25-2011 09:37 PM

When I bought mine used, GS told me I would have to produce only records since the date of purchase.

GigiShaw 09-25-2011 10:03 PM

Navychaps. Thanks for looking. Yes, there are several things that need to be defined. Of course, in any policy there are "weasel words.". We are disappointed in the lack of coordination between two arms of the same company. We are quite aware that we put too much trust in a dealer we had bought from in the past.

sdennislee 09-25-2011 10:04 PM

Have you wrote Good Sam's consumer advocate? Never used them myself but have read their stories of success with other MH owners.

GigiShaw 09-25-2011 10:46 PM

Thanks. That's good information. Did not know GS has consumer advocate.

puttin 09-26-2011 05:29 AM

GiGiShaw,

The exhaust manifolds are part of the exhaust system. Due to many variables- they probably are not covered by most policies. The manifolds get very hot by nature...they can overheat and crack as well. After you get it fixed and find out that everything else is normal-consider having an after market aux. fan installed....just the ticket for keeping the temp down.

GigiShaw 09-26-2011 07:20 PM

Good suggestion, puttin. Will sure look into the aux fan. Many people have mentioned having to stop to let the manifold cool.

Mr JP 09-26-2011 08:14 PM

If you have to replace the exhaust manifold check out a banks system. Headers will run allot cooler and you will like the performance also. Good luck JP