iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Travel Trailer Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   6-gallon water heater on AC also? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/6-gallon-water-heater-on-ac-also-104265.html)

clarkgriswold 09-27-2011 09:32 PM

6-gallon water heater on AC also?

I've had a couple of 10 gal DSI water heaters in our MHs that had the 110VAC addition in order to save propane. My question is, we're buying a TT that will most likely have a 6 gal water heater....can the 110VAC be added to it? I'm not sure of the amperage draw so I'm a little concerned that this might also involve having a 'spare' breaker position in the TT. :angel:

Kurmudgeon 09-28-2011 03:07 AM

Both Atwood and Suburban 6 gallon water heaters are available with or without electric elements. If your new RV comes with a gas only water heater, I don't know if you can add electric or if you have to replace the whole thing. I'm sure someone here will know.

mhs4771 09-28-2011 08:25 AM

There are kits on the market, Hot Rod is one I believe that lets you add an electric element to the tank. CW sells a kit I believe. Do a little "Let the Mouse do the walking" and I'm sure you will find something.

oldSarge98 09-28-2011 08:26 PM

Be sure to check if it voids the water heater first.

W4RLR 09-28-2011 11:04 PM

If you are buying a new trailer, see if the dealer will swap out the water heater for a gas/electric with DSI.

If the trailer is being purchased from a private party, you can install a Hott Rod. It's a simple addition.

clarkgriswold 09-28-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rray32539 (Post 970475)
If you are buying a new trailer, see if the dealer will swap out the water heater for a gas/electric with DSI.

If the trailer is being purchased from a private party, you can install a Hott Rod. It's a simple addition.

That's what I was wondering - what it was called. I know it was added to our MH water heater that was simply a heater element inserted into the water heater. Of course I would think that would require some sort of mid level amperage circuit and even a thermostat. Am I wrong?

Mr_D 09-29-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newsomer (Post 970379)
Be sure to check if it voids the water heater first.

Both Atwood and Suburban say that adding a Hot Rodd or any of the other aftermarket heating units will void the warranty. But, there is the Magnusson-Moss act to prevent that. BUT, you have to take it to court and for a few hundred $$'s it's not worth it.

wa8yxm 09-29-2011 11:45 AM

My Attwood six gallon came with electric already in it.. I do recommend this as if you add a Hott-Rod to a gas only model ... they will give you a hard time if it fails.

frankdamp 09-29-2011 09:25 PM

We have the 6-gallon Suburban in our rig with the electric option. The only problem is, every time I try to use it at a CG it pops the pedestal breaker. At home, I'm plugged into a regular domestic 15A circuit and the electric water heater also blows that breaker, with nothing else in the rig turned on.

I don't have any documentation on the water heater. Does anyone know how much current they draw or what the cold resistance should be? I e-mailed the Suburban folks a week ago but have had no response.

Midniteoyl 09-29-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankdamp (Post 971206)
We have the 6-gallon Suburban in our rig with the electric option. The only problem is, every time I try to use it at a CG it pops the pedestal breaker. At home, I'm plugged into a regular domestic 15A circuit and the electric water heater also blows that breaker, with nothing else in the rig turned on.

I don't have any documentation on the water heater. Does anyone know how much current they draw or what the cold resistance should be? I e-mailed the Suburban folks a week ago but have had no response.

The heating element is bad (or cruded so it shorts, still bad)..