iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Prevost slide out and leveling question (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/prevost-slide-out-and-leveling-question-104530.html)

dfwcantor 10-01-2011 08:58 AM

Prevost slide out and leveling question

Pardon my ignorance but can someone answer the following:

When did Prevost start putting in the slides at the factory? When looking at a used unit, is there an easy way to tell if a slide is factory or aftermarket?

Also, I had heard that Prevost's do not have or cannot be fitted with hydraulic leveling jacks - is this true?

Many thanks

JMonroe 10-01-2011 10:03 AM

I am not a Prevost expert, but I don't think they ever build more than just the shell. It's the RV upfitter that puts in slides, as specified by the owner. In other words, they're all "aftermarket".

Pairajays 10-01-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMonroe (Post 972225)
I am not a Prevost expert, but I don't think they ever build more than just the shell. It's the RV upfitter that puts in slides, as specified by the owner. In other words, they're all "aftermarket".

I think your right on one item. They supply converters with just a shell. However, they started adding slides at some point in time. That's why the shell price increased over a $100K. Unfortunately, i don't know the year they did this, which was the question.

Jim E

Papa_Jim 10-01-2011 10:27 PM

I read an article in Motor Coaching magazine about Liberty or Marathon coach. They are supplied with Prevost coach shells, complete with slides and custom exterior paint.

So that's what is happening today.

I don't know when Prevost began supplying their coach shells with slides, and I believe that was the original question.

hellojohnny 10-01-2011 10:40 PM

Prevost will install two factory slides on the driver's side. I do not know what year that they started doing that but it was many years ago. Some converter's such as Marathon are known to add extra slides. Many owner's if not most opt to just have the two slides that come Prevost factory installed.

Visit: www.prevostcar.com and they describe this. I have been a fan even before they offered slide out's (or should I say XLII fan). I thought that their website is interesting and has links to converter's etc. I will buy a Prevost someday but for now I'm looking at a new Mountain Aire.

dons2346 10-04-2011 08:40 PM

I was at HWH back in '03 and they were doing Prevost slide conversions.

They did say that Prevost was doing their own but a lot of converters wanted a HWH slide.

motorhomeguy 10-05-2011 07:42 PM

It amazes me when I read responses to questions that people just guess at the answer. I've been looking at and studying used Prevost on close to 2 years now and I assure there is a lot to know. The best place to ask a Prevost related question is on POG, Prevost Owners Group website. The site is about Prevosts and only Prevosts. There are primarily three types of slides on Prevosts: Prevost , Valid and HWH. Prevost began installing Prevost slides somewhere around 2000/2001. Marathon primarily uses Valid slides where Vantare uses HWH along and their own slides. Prevost was tthe last to install their own slides because they did not want to compromise the structure of the coach itself. However, some converters began installing slides years before official Prevost slides were offered. I have even seen some Prevosts that were sold as a non-slide coach and the owner, at a later time, had slides installed. To sum my answer up, no there is not an easy way to tell unless you knonw what your are looking at. If you are seriously interested in a Prevost purchase, I recommend you start learning as much as you can about them and I don't mean to be rude, this is a fantastic web site, but you need to go where the Prevost people hang out so you can post your questions to people that know the answers.... Any motor home is an expensive piece of machinery, but when you talk about a Prevost, you can get into some serious money very quickly. To your question about levers, Prevost uses air leveling, not hydraulic. Good luck...