iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   VA Benefits question (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/va-benefits-question-109992.html)

Ramblin 12-07-2011 05:08 PM

VA Benefits question

My father in law, a veteran of the Army Air Corps, recently had a stroke, and can no longer care for himself. He is diabetic, and goes to dialysis three times weekly. He was fiercly independent, and never took advantage of any VA benefits or even looked into it. He will need round-the-clock care, and we don't have the means to provide what he needs.

So, we're looking into everything we can to help us help him. I know there are many veterans here, and so my question is, how do we get started to find out how/if the VA can help? Any information you might have would be appreciated.

Jim

Afubar 12-07-2011 05:24 PM

I'd start here: New to VA - Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs

Jim-in-Hope 12-07-2011 05:27 PM

Many counties have VA assistance offices this would be my first chice. I would then go to the local American Legion post. If there is a VA hospital near you can take him there, he will probably have to go there at some time to be evaluated.

Good Luck I hope this helps.

Larry & Rita 12-07-2011 05:28 PM

Jim
The site I found most useful is: Veterans Benefits Network Forums.
This ids the site for the VA in case you need it: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Good Luck
Larry

Afubar 12-07-2011 05:28 PM

There's also a great forum for Veterans and they can answer alot of questions:

Veterans Benefits Network Forums

I'm also sorry for your troubles.

Kaye

catonine 12-07-2011 06:25 PM

If there is a VFW, DAV, American Legion or other veteran organization near you contact them as they all have Service Officers as do most State Employement Offices. A good Service Officer can be the key to getting the ball rolling and keeping it rolling so that the veteran can get the help he needs as quickly as possible. NEVER< NEVER, try to get benefits without a good Service Officer, there are far to many rule and regulations and laws. Get started now and dont stop until you get him the help he has earned.

Ray,IN 12-07-2011 06:44 PM

Acceptance for the VA programs is the first step. One may apply online , or utilize the VSO locator for assistance.

Wizard 12-07-2011 08:49 PM

Apply onlike where the previous post stated.

I will say that I was recently turned down and was told that they was only accepting new patients in my financial status that has service related disabilities.

Hope you can do better than me. Good Luck

Wayne MD 12-07-2011 10:32 PM

If you get the letter of denial because its not service related, or we cannot accept you because of current overloads, take the letter and see your State rep for some clarification. He is a vet, and deserving of care.

garmp 12-08-2011 07:54 AM

I have to agree with catonine. I went through the VFW and the advocate has been terrific. They know the ins and outs and can get things done. With their experience they can pretty much tell you from the start what to expect and how to go about it. I did all my communicating via the telephone and never met my advocate in person nor went to his office. Super people and mostly disabled vets them selves.

Ramblin 12-08-2011 11:39 AM

Thank you all for your replies. :thumb: There is a lot if information here to digest. Turns out he was formerly a member of the American Legion here, so I'm going to start there after I read up on the VA benefits. You guys are the greatest. I'll let you all know how we make out.

Thanks again!

Jim

fletch460 12-08-2011 12:02 PM

VA benefits

If your father is a Vietnam Vet, diabetes is a known effect from agent orange. If so that would be the first road to travel. For any benefits it has to be proven it is service related. Again as others have posted the sites will help.

Wayne M 12-08-2011 03:11 PM

Look up - Agent Orange Presumptive Conditions. It is not only diabetes.

hondo122 12-08-2011 08:26 PM

Try this site http://www.veteranaid.org/:thumb: