iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Alpine Coach Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Water leak at filler port-what is the box called? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/water-leak-at-filler-port-what-is-the-box-called-112863.html)

Orville 01-15-2012 09:38 PM

Water leak at filler port-what is the box called?

I have a fresh water leak coming out of a small white box just behind the fresh water filler port. Does anyone know what that box is called? And what it should cost to have it replaced? It only leaks while the water pump is on, and not when the hose is hooked up directly??? I'm assuming it is some kind of "back flow" valve, but really have no idea? or why it is leaking? Anyone had the same problem?:banghead:

Jeff and Cheryl 01-15-2012 10:09 PM

Orville,
Could you provide us with the year and model (if there is a model designation) for your coach. WRV had set ups that varied over the years and sometimes previous owners have made modicications.

Orville 01-15-2012 10:21 PM

2001 Alpine?? 36

I only know it is a 2001 Alpine Vin #18XF4CC2911174224:nonono:

Wizard 01-16-2012 06:43 AM

There is a check valve behind your water connection, with no hose hooked up and the pump running, a defective check valve can let water run out. When I replaced mine several years back, the valve was only a couple of $$ and only took a few minutes to change. It just screws between the water line and the back of the hose connection.

However mine was easy to get to, don't know about yours.

To get by, go to any hardware store and buy a 3/4" pipe plug and thread in in where you normally hook up your hose.

OldForester 01-22-2012 08:57 PM

I had this check valve problem which would cause water to come out of the hose bib when I was travelling. Went to Home Depot and got a bronze connector with an off/on valve on it for a couple bucks. Hooked it up to the hose bib and now hook the fresh water hose to it. Shut the valve off when the hose isn't connected and works fine. Been using it for at least 3 years.

Old Trucker 02-17-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orville (Post 1058493)
I have a fresh water leak coming out of a small white box just behind the fresh water filler port. Does anyone know what that box is called? And what it should cost to have it replaced? It only leaks while the water pump is on, and not when the hose is hooked up directly??? I'm assuming it is some kind of "back flow" valve, but really have no idea? or why it is leaking? Anyone had the same problem?:banghead:

Hi Orville, I just had that problem today. After replacing the hose washers, ( I have a 99 Alpine) I removed the center panel in the utility area. After removing the 4 screws that hold the inlet valve, I was ablr to reach behind the rear panel, loosen the plastic fitting, then spin it off from the outside. A reasonably simple job. When replacing the valve be sure weep hole is on the bottom. Cost was $50. the rv people say that the pressure valve goes bad internally, that it causes the leak. Old forresters idea will work and much cheaper, but you may want to install a presssure regulator if you choose the economical way. Good luck, old trucker.

Lindenberg 02-20-2012 10:19 PM

Mine just started leaking this weekend. I removed the center panel of the service bay to get access to the small white box. Turns out one of the screws needed to be tightened. Once I tightened the screw the leak stopped. This is on my list of things to look at to see what is really causing the leak.

A few years ago I drilled out the pressure regulator that is in the center of this little white box and added an external, all brass, pressure regulator from Home Depot. The water flow is much better now. There were many posts about doing this mod.