iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   Drones over head (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/drones-over-head-115141.html)

powerboatr 02-13-2012 02:50 PM

Drones over head

Since the leaders have now decided there will be TONS of drones flying over us and watching

I suggest we all put big banners on our Rv roofs

FOLLOW ME, we are going RVing :D:D

or

paint on a landing strip, complete with lights and headings :rofl::rofl:

or

Landing ramp under construction
:rofl::rofl:

or

paint the roof top appendages to resemble airfield items like a refueling truck for the a/c shroud
maybe paint on some wings to the rear a/c

maybe glue on some barbies and their little jet :rofl::dance:

sgtjoe 02-13-2012 02:56 PM

How about a painted hand telling them they're number one.

JC2 02-13-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtjoe (Post 1083217)
How about a painted hand telling them they're number one.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

frankdamp 02-13-2012 08:42 PM

My main concern about the increasing domestic use of drones is the risk of conflict with piloted air traffic. There's nobody on board those things doing the "see and avoid" that VFR pilots routinely do and I don't know if ATC can talk to the guys in a trailer somewhere, maybe in New Jersey, who are driving those things. I'm sure they don't have the TV equivalent of two Mk.1 eyballs on a Mk.1 head swivelling all around.

In our region, there's talk of survey drones operating very close to SeaTac airport. Who's responsible if one of those things collides with a 747 on finals and kills 450 people!

chuckinthebus 02-13-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankdamp (Post 1083503)
My main concern about the increasing domestic use of drones is the risk of conflict with piloted air traffic. There's nobody on board those things doing the "see and avoid" that VFR pilots routinely do and I don't know if ATC can talk to the guys in a trailer somewhere, maybe in New Jersey, who are driving those things. I'm sure they don't have the TV equivalent of two Mk.1 eyballs on a Mk.1 head swivelling all around.

In our region, there's talk of survey drones operating very close to SeaTac airport. Who's responsible if one of those things collides with a 747 on finals and kills 450 people!

Call center in India. Remember this is the good ole USA and we outsource everything! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

whem2fish 02-14-2012 02:51 AM

in arlington (home of the rangers and cowboys) they operate a small one. now on the border we use the big ones i work where we build the jets. look up tri-60 and tri-45 drones. the small one here is used around the stadiums and maybe its 10 miles south of dfw airport

wa8yxm 02-14-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankdamp (Post 1083503)

As it happepns.. I know someone who knows a whole lot more about Drones than I do... I mean a whole lot more. (Of course that would not take much)

I will foreward your comments to his wife and ask her to ask him about it.

LadyFitz... 02-14-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnkinthebus (Post 1083570)
Call center in India. Remember this is the good ole USA and we outsource everything! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now that is scary! :eek:

woodburner 02-14-2012 01:42 PM

Drones?
What did I miss?:eek:

LadyFitz... 02-14-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodburner (Post 1084043)
Drones?
What did I miss?:eek:

Drone=male bee

Chuck 1935 02-14-2012 07:41 PM

Drones, another word for Sporting Clays;)

VanDiemen23 02-14-2012 08:06 PM

Not as much as a problem as you might think in controlled airspace - except if the transponder fails. Controller can talk to the radio relay on the bird, banged off the satellite to the "pilot" to wherever in the middle of nowhere. The easy way is to get the bird to 60K and then you don't have to worry about other traffic.

VFR is another issue. Not a lot of progress on collision avoidance - a lot of false starts but not a lot of true solutions. FAA is supposed to open the national airspace in a few years - UAVs will revolutionize law enforcement - but it's definitely Big Brother - and all the talk about saving $$ is a lie - the cops will just buy as many as the budget allows and cover more area.

We used to handle it by putting the UAV in a "box", issued a NOTAM with times and the "box", essentially telling other A/C "there's a little aircraft in here - don't run into it".

Ragingbull 02-14-2012 08:23 PM

I have extra christmas lights,How much runway do they need?

woodburner 02-14-2012 08:31 PM

Well dang; sorry I asked.
Didn't realize I'd get baloney answers.