iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   Truckers have no manners? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/truckers-have-no-manners-116860.html)

Sofiatalvikw 03-02-2012 07:26 PM

Truckers have no manners?

We've parked in a flying J once and being crammed between a hundred trucks who all had their engines in all night was not my idea of a good nights sleep. But lately when we've parked in walmarts we've started out by our own and after a few hours there will be five trucks all parked RIGHT next to us with their engines on full speed.

We've even made a point of not parking at the farthest side of the lot to avoid this but it seems it doesn't matter. When we've been parked next to other RVs we never keep the generator on all evening or all night to avoid disturbing others but this does not seem to apply to truckers.

Several times I've considered moving to the other side of the parking lot because we've suddenly found ourselves surrounded by big trucks.

Why do they do this? Don't they have any manners?

trampsrv 03-02-2012 07:32 PM

thats why they have campgrounds.

Tsronco 03-02-2012 07:35 PM

Some trucks have to run their engines to keep their trailers warm/cool I'm sure it's not a purposeful "let's piss that rver off"

La-Z-Boy 03-02-2012 07:37 PM

I have always found...
Things that are free usually come with consequences... Not to say that I don't Wal-dock, just that expectations are different than CG

Grumpytrkr 03-02-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofiatalvik (Post 1101788)
We've parked in a flying J once and being crammed between a hundred trucks who all had their engines in all night was not my idea of a good nights sleep. But lately when we've parked in walmarts we've started out by our own and after a few hours there will be five trucks all parked RIGHT next to us with their engines on full speed.

We've even made a point of not parking at the farthest side of the lot to avoid this but it seems it doesn't matter. When we've been parked next to other RVs we never keep the generator on all evening or all night to avoid disturbing others but this does not seem to apply to truckers.

Several times I've considered moving to the other side of the parking lot because we've suddenly found ourselves surrounded by big trucks.

Why do they do this? Don't they have any manners?

OK, as a 25 plus year driver, let me say that the engines are not running at full speed. Reefer units have to run on trailers. Trucks run to keep the A/C or heaters running. I will agree with the person who said that is why there are campgrounds. I would like to see the average RVer having to run under DOT rules. Keep log book, not drive more then 10 hours, physical cards, and a special license. Just keep in mind that truckers are out there because they have to be, you are out there because you want to be. Are truckers loosing their manners? Well, I will say in the past years, I have noticed that the "professional coutesy" has gone down the hill. My suggestion to you is plan your trips so you can stay at campgrounds.

Regards,

baraff 03-02-2012 07:50 PM

Try a Cracker Barrel restaurant for a better "free" overnight experience. We usually call ahead and ask if they allow overnight parking, get a good meal and don't have to deal with noisy trucks all night. If we're just passing through I can't see spending $40 or more for a site with amenities we'll never use.
Maybe if campgrounds offered a no-frills overnight rate, say, $10-$20, even with no hookups, I'd go for that. But nobody does so it's CB for us.

TAZ 03-02-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trampsrv (Post 1101793)
thats why they have campgrounds.

X2 :)

CorLynn 03-02-2012 07:57 PM

I will be traveling this spring, and im sure i will have a trucker pull next to me if i happen to stop to sleep at a rest area. Now i have a hard time sleeping in silence, I normally have a fan and tv on. So when i am at a rest area I would probably sleep better with their engine running. LOL as weird as it sounds. And I would also probably feel a little safer too.

I could never feel upset or frustrated with a truck driver. I give them 2 thumbs up. They have a hard job, well hard to me because I believe it to be hard behind the wheel for many hours. Also they deliver so much goods for us. food being the most important.

FATMANAR 03-02-2012 08:00 PM

When i get off the road to rest a truck running isn't going to keep me awake.. If i am tired i can sleep through anything...

Craig_R 03-02-2012 08:24 PM

A truck engine will be running at high idle to run the truck's engine powered A/C or keep the engine warm to provide heat to the cab on a cold night. Sometimes the truck is carrying perishables that require refrigeration. The refrigeration units are usually powered by diesel engines of their own that have to run to maintain the trailers temperature. Some trucks are equipped with small APUs that generate heat or A/C but they still make some amount of noise.

Truckers are in the Walmart parking lot for the same reason you are. To get some shut eye. Once you get used to it, the steady drone of a diesel on high idle will block out other noises and put you to sleep.

Back in October, we wished there was an idling truck next us, in the Walmart, that would have blocked out the young lady who was screaming obscenities into her cell phone at 3 AM.:eek:

new2RVn 03-02-2012 08:26 PM

IMHO I have the right to stay overnight in a reststop, Flying J, Wallyworld or what ever. I also have the right to move on if I'm not comfortable there. If you are looking for ideal conditions then my guess is the place for you is a CG. If you are looking to catch a nap during your travels then you will take what you can get. Truck drivers, as stated previously, are on the job making a living and are doing a job that most of us wouldn't want to do on a permanent basis so don't expect them to try to make your night more pleasurable. Last time I checked, Flying J is a truck stop not an RV stop. I'm sure there are more truck customers than RV customers so RV's are the minority. Live with the situation or move on.:cool:

Being retired means you can put off till tomorrow what you could have done today

kalynzoo 03-02-2012 08:37 PM

I have been RV motorhoming for over 40 years, and I have been assisted by truckers innumerable times. Maybe I have been just lucky, but I have never met a trucker who was not friendly. I have been offered the use of tools, parts, and physical assistance. We have in turn offered beverages and assistance when needed. When pulling through a rest stop, if a truck is blocking a lane, without asking, I have seen truck drivers move their rigs to accommodate others.
They work hard at a hard job. Let's not paint an industry with a broad brush.
Happy trails.

Craig_R 03-02-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2RVn (Post 1101852)
...Last time I checked, Flying J is a truck stop not an RV stop. I'm sure there are more truck customers than RV customers so RV's are the minority. ...

Actually most truck stops reinvented themselves back in the '80s and now refer to themselves as "Travel Centers". An all encompassing term designed to increase the bottom line by attempting to make the traveling public feel welcome and equal to their commercial counterparts.

Unfortunately, over the last 30 years this has lead to an erosion of services, poor dining choices and possibly the reason for more trucks in Walmart lots. :nonono:

djhinds 03-02-2012 08:51 PM

One thing to remember is if you wear it, eat it, watch it, sit on it, or just about anything else a TRUCK brought it to you. Give them a break, they are just trying to make a living!!!

Dave