iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Vintage RV's (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Best RV Magazines for us vintage folks (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/best-rv-magazines-for-us-vintage-folks-117929.html)

Bilito 03-14-2012 12:52 PM

Best RV Magazines for us vintage folks
 
What are the best all around Magazines to subscribe to that not only
talks about destination but also has lots of DIY tips and tricks etc????

I recall the days when Magazines offered a free copy to examine before you subscribe, do any of the mags do that anymore

Ragingbull 03-14-2012 01:31 PM

I've signed up recently for free travel guides from various states. Most also send you the official state maps along with brochures for camping areas, state parks, BLM land etc.
As far as DYI stuff I can't help but I'm interested too!.

Bilito 03-15-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragingbull (Post 1113857)
I've signed up recently for free travel guides from various states. Most also send you the official state maps along with brochures for camping areas, state parks, BLM land etc.
As far as DYI stuff I can't help but I'm interested too!.

Wow for sure I thought I would gets lots of advice on a magazine, there is one called Motor Homes I think I will buy

TXiceman 03-15-2012 05:59 PM

There are a couple of Vintage RV groups on Yahoo Groups. You might look there as well.

Ken

Senior Chief 03-16-2012 01:34 AM

I don't think any of the current RV magazines are worth spit. Mighty thin on meat and mostly advertisements.

The only exception I can think of is the Escapees magazine, which comes with membership.

If you like "tips", try the RV 10 Minute Tech books- well worth it.

baraff 03-16-2012 05:47 PM

Hmm, sounds like a business opportunity to me..... a vintage RV owners mag. You may have identified a niche market. Hmmm.....

Bilito 03-16-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baraff (Post 1115868)
Hmm, sounds like a business opportunity to me..... a vintage RV owners mag. You may have identified a niche market. Hmmm.....

It does not need to be just for vintage RV, I guess any RV over 10 years of age will have lots of issues that need looking into. Lots of "how to stuff", and lots of reviews of cool places to visit with pros and cons about each.

Senior Chief 03-17-2012 09:19 AM

Why would anyone pay inflated dollars for a print magazine that is inferior in speed, content and information to any number of internet forums?

It's why print is dying.

A website, now, devoted to vintage might actually have legs.

RVluvin 03-17-2012 09:54 AM

I enjoy both Motor Home & Trailer Life magazine. The Highways mag from the Good Sam membership has too much advertisement for both Good Sam's and Camping World products.

ka7suz 03-17-2012 10:23 AM

I much prefer magazines. Take just this forum (to which I am addicted) but if you lose a thread you have been following (without contributing to) you may never find it again. So, I wind up printing pages - which then becomes a notebook, but not very well indexed. I have some old (really old - 70's) magazines which did have how-to articles, ideas to improve storage, mechanical suggestions etc.

I will never buy a brand new rv - so Motorhome magazine, and the others which are part of subscriptions are interesting to look at, but not so valuable for new ideas to improve the rvs in service.

I know the print media is fading, but I don't think the internet, websites etc are a great trade.

JoAnn

CapnMorgan 03-17-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka7suz (Post 1116374)
... but if you lose a thread you have been following (without contributing to) you may never find it again. ...

JoAnn

Don't forget that you don't have to contribute to a thread to get a subscription to it. Just use the thread tools to add a subscription.

Bilito 03-17-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senior Chief (Post 1116335)
Why would anyone pay inflated dollars for a print magazine that is inferior in speed, content and information to any number of internet forums?

It's why print is dying.

A website, now, devoted to vintage might actually have legs.

I have a magazine rack in my bathroom and while spending time there today I noticed I have several "this old House" and a "This Old Boat" magazine in my collection, Why not a "This Old RV" rag? The internet is great but when you are sitting around reading about how some Guy or Gal found a cool. way to polish up your rusty dirty wheels or how to keep your wiper blades from deteriorating or how to bleed your brakes, I am not gonna head to the internet to look that stuff up and 20 bucks a year for DIY info and some ads for stuff we could really use would be nice to see.

Superslif 03-17-2012 08:46 PM

I just read Trailer Life magazine. They have a section on warranty problems where readers write in about a dealer or manufacturer not fixing a problem within their warranty period of shortly out of warranty. There is also usually one article on a major project like replacing a window or swapping out a frig. In the back of the mag there is a page or two of helpful little things to make RVing easier. maybe once a year they will do an article on a actual vintage RV.

I would never pay cover price for the magazine. Too much what I call "fluff" not enough print.

ka7suz 03-18-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnMorgan (Post 1116377)
Don't forget that you don't have to contribute to a thread to get a subscription to it. Just use the thread tools to add a subscription.

I had not explored all of the features of this site. Thank you.

JoAnn


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.