iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Vintage RV's (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Best RV Magazines for us vintage folks (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/best-rv-magazines-for-us-vintage-folks-117929.html)

Bilito 03-14-2012 01:52 PM

Best RV Magazines for us vintage folks

What are the best all around Magazines to subscribe to that not only
talks about destination but also has lots of DIY tips and tricks etc????

I recall the days when Magazines offered a free copy to examine before you subscribe, do any of the mags do that anymore

Ragingbull 03-14-2012 02:31 PM

I've signed up recently for free travel guides from various states. Most also send you the official state maps along with brochures for camping areas, state parks, BLM land etc.
As far as DYI stuff I can't help but I'm interested too!.

Bilito 03-15-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragingbull (Post 1113857)
I've signed up recently for free travel guides from various states. Most also send you the official state maps along with brochures for camping areas, state parks, BLM land etc.
As far as DYI stuff I can't help but I'm interested too!.

Wow for sure I thought I would gets lots of advice on a magazine, there is one called Motor Homes I think I will buy

TXiceman 03-15-2012 06:59 PM

There are a couple of Vintage RV groups on Yahoo Groups. You might look there as well.

Ken

Senior Chief 03-16-2012 02:34 AM

I don't think any of the current RV magazines are worth spit. Mighty thin on meat and mostly advertisements.

The only exception I can think of is the Escapees magazine, which comes with membership.

If you like "tips", try the RV 10 Minute Tech books- well worth it.

baraff 03-16-2012 06:47 PM

Hmm, sounds like a business opportunity to me..... a vintage RV owners mag. You may have identified a niche market. Hmmm.....

Bilito 03-16-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baraff (Post 1115868)
Hmm, sounds like a business opportunity to me..... a vintage RV owners mag. You may have identified a niche market. Hmmm.....

It does not need to be just for vintage RV, I guess any RV over 10 years of age will have lots of issues that need looking into. Lots of "how to stuff", and lots of reviews of cool places to visit with pros and cons about each.

Senior Chief 03-17-2012 10:19 AM

Why would anyone pay inflated dollars for a print magazine that is inferior in speed, content and information to any number of internet forums?

It's why print is dying.

A website, now, devoted to vintage might actually have legs.

RVluvin 03-17-2012 10:54 AM

I enjoy both Motor Home & Trailer Life magazine. The Highways mag from the Good Sam membership has too much advertisement for both Good Sam's and Camping World products.

ka7suz 03-17-2012 11:23 AM

I much prefer magazines. Take just this forum (to which I am addicted) but if you lose a thread you have been following (without contributing to) you may never find it again. So, I wind up printing pages - which then becomes a notebook, but not very well indexed. I have some old (really old - 70's) magazines which did have how-to articles, ideas to improve storage, mechanical suggestions etc.

I will never buy a brand new rv - so Motorhome magazine, and the others which are part of subscriptions are interesting to look at, but not so valuable for new ideas to improve the rvs in service.

I know the print media is fading, but I don't think the internet, websites etc are a great trade.

JoAnn

CapnMorgan 03-17-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka7suz (Post 1116374)
... but if you lose a thread you have been following (without contributing to) you may never find it again. ...

JoAnn

Don't forget that you don't have to contribute to a thread to get a subscription to it. Just use the thread tools to add a subscription.

Bilito 03-17-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senior Chief (Post 1116335)
Why would anyone pay inflated dollars for a print magazine that is inferior in speed, content and information to any number of internet forums?

It's why print is dying.

I have a magazine rack in my bathroom and while spending time there today I noticed I have several "this old House" and a "This Old Boat" magazine in my collection, Why not a "This Old RV" rag? The internet is great but when you are sitting around reading about how some Guy or Gal found a cool. way to polish up your rusty dirty wheels or how to keep your wiper blades from deteriorating or how to bleed your brakes, I am not gonna head to the internet to look that stuff up and 20 bucks a year for DIY info and some ads for stuff we could really use would be nice to see.

Superslif 03-17-2012 09:46 PM

I just read Trailer Life magazine. They have a section on warranty problems where readers write in about a dealer or manufacturer not fixing a problem within their warranty period of shortly out of warranty. There is also usually one article on a major project like replacing a window or swapping out a frig. In the back of the mag there is a page or two of helpful little things to make RVing easier. maybe once a year they will do an article on a actual vintage RV.

I would never pay cover price for the magazine. Too much what I call "fluff" not enough print.

ka7suz 03-18-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnMorgan (Post 1116377)
Don't forget that you don't have to contribute to a thread to get a subscription to it. Just use the thread tools to add a subscription.

I had not explored all of the features of this site. Thank you.

JoAnn

Curtis in TX 03-18-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senior Chief (Post 1116335)

It's why print is dying.

I'm with senior Chief on this one. Paper Magazines are a thing of the past. Dinosours that are having a hard time dying. You can get Electronic Books that will run circles around a paper magazine. And storing and sorting articles is easy with thumb drives or memory cards.

I retired 3 years ago and have magazines from the 60's in foot lockers that someday will fuel my fireplace. Now don't panic, I'm scanning in the article I want to save into electronic form. I figure if I have to have a paper copy, I'll print it out to share with my Grandchildrens. Besides you can get 1000's and 1000's of magazines in one memory card.
Takes up a lot less space and doesn't weight a thing. So your RV milage may improve.

And the Forums are great because you get to bounce questions and ideas off the Author and Audience and get real time answers. Try that with a Magazine!

Not to mention I can block a lot of the Advertising that I don't want to look at!

Something else to think about. If you're gettting old like me having my Computer tied to my TV, I can blow up the articles to as big a print as I want. And really study the pictures too!

Yea, you've probably figured it out that I made my living in the growing Technical World!:angel:

This Website can be a great source for us Vintage RV'ers.
Curtis in Texas

Senior Chief 03-18-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilito (Post 1116942)
I have a magazine rack in my bathroom and while spending time there today I noticed I have several "this old House" and a "This Old Boat" magazine in my collection, Why not a "This Old RV" rag? The internet is great but when you are sitting around reading about how some Guy or Gal found a cool. way to polish up your rusty dirty wheels or how to keep your wiper blades from deteriorating or how to bleed your brakes, I am not gonna head to the internet to look that stuff up and 20 bucks a year for DIY info and some ads for stuff we could really use would be nice to see.

The costs of mailing and printing a paper magazine are mind-boggling these days. Have you noticed almost all magazines are stuffed with advertising? Its because subscriptions only pay for a fraction of the costs.

A limited resource group like vintage RV owners will probably never be able to support its own paper magazine, due to the huge costs and (relatively) small readership. But an e-zine?

THAT is a distinct possibility.

Would you pay a modest $5 or $10 a year for a subscription to colorful, informative electronic magazine about older RVs? Would you contribute?

If you have an iPad or a Nook or a Kindle Fire, you can still read it in the bathroom :dance:

I'm serious, now.

QuietWater 03-18-2012 12:00 PM

So just exactly what would you want to see in a vintage magazine, ezine, etc.? Installations, renovated rigs, vintage friendly campgrounds, upgrades, maintenance, vintage pets? What would pull you in?

MattC 03-19-2012 09:28 AM

I'm happy with my 1973 GMC. I'll never be able to replace it, I can barely afford gas for anymore.
I would like something that tells me about neat places to go and possible gadgets and things, but has no time for the brand new $$X00,000 coach as this is no interest at all. Maybe it will have upgrades done to old coaches - Kind of like the Good Old Boat Magazine.

Matt

BigJack 03-27-2012 10:58 AM

I'm a low tech guy who still likes to hold a magizine in my hand. I've subscribed to Motor Home mag since 1984 and I still look forward to it coming each month. I have two file cabinets in my barn with all the old issues and I find myself going through my personal archives fairly often. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks!!!

TBirdCastle 03-27-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baraff (Post 1115868)

Get it rolling, I'd Subscribe.

Bilito 03-27-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBirdCastle (Post 1126672)
Get it rolling, I'd Subscribe.

Me too, I'll subscribe and I would like to see things about camp grounds written by campers that have actually been there (The good and the bad), what's bad for one person might be good for another and not ad exec's pushing a campground. I would like to see stories and pics of remodeling jobs, repair jobs, tips and tricks, anything that would be of interest to a vintage owner trying to keep the rig going and making it a little nicer

Bad for me would be a place that is kid friendly, good for me would be a place on the water where I could bring along my 13 ft boston whaler

We are removing carpet to make floor repairs and finding a jillion staples in it, tips on replacing that carpet with resiliant flooring would be nice and how do you edge steps to look nice etc

RedneckExpress 03-27-2012 02:56 PM

Me, I try and find all of the old Popular Science, Popular Mechanics magazines from the 60s-80s I can find if for no other reason than the neat old RV ads in them. I've got a nice book that was actually published by Trailer Life years ago called "RX for Performance and Fuel Economy for your RV" or something very similar in name.

We've got some National Geographic magazines going back to 1900 in our library. Will never stop getting print material (Well vintage print material anyway), it's far too easy to lose it all (and far more likely) in a digital format than in a print (Chances of you being hacked/virused or your chinese made computer taking a dive are far more likely than a house burning down).

katmat 03-27-2012 05:22 PM

a magazine is nice . i work 3rd shift some times when my machine is running ive got time to read alittle plus lunch but no internet excess. a diy mag would be nice. we do have this section here!!!

mikelcan 03-27-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senior Chief (Post 1117386)
The costs of mailing and printing a paper magazine are mind-boggling these days. Have you noticed almost all magazines are stuffed with advertising? Its because subscriptions only pay for a fraction of the costs.

A limited resource group like vintage RV owners will probably never be able to support its own paper magazine, due to the huge costs and (relatively) small readership. But an e-zine?

+1

The more limited the market the harder it is to make work as a business model. The advertisers subsidize the high cost of printing and mailing but will not advertise if the number of subscriptions are low. Another downside is that the advertisers will try to see where there money is coming from and kill ads in venues that do not have a return on their investment.

A related interest group is the bus conversion folks. There used to be a magazine in printed form that has fallen on hard times. There are people that have recently paid for subscriptions even though it has been a long time since the last printed version mailed. There is promise of one printing soon but they have heard that promise before.

I do understand the desire of folks that like the tactile feel of a magazine compared to e-readers or forums on the internet however the money is following the technology. So an e-zine in pdf format that gathers articles, and maybe an FAQ built from forum topics would be the way to go.

Another plus for electronic medium is the ability to search for topics.
Mike

camperme2 03-27-2012 07:53 PM

RV Lifestyle Magazine is the best I have found. Good tech, towing tips and reviews of products. Good Sam is mediocre but I do like to see how the staff have helped people with problems.
RV Lifestyle iss Canadian and can be accessed at www.rvlifemag.com and digital at www.rvlifemag-digital.com Tell them Mark sent you.

Bilito 03-28-2012 05:17 PM

I went to the contact us link at the top of the home page and wrote to the admin of irv2 and mentioned the interest in a subscription monthly vintage RV E Magazine and they wrote back saying thay have been considering such a thing, perahps if everyone dropped them a line we might speed it along

Bilito 03-29-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilito (Post 1127959)
I went to the contact us link at the top of the home page and wrote to the admin of irv2 and mentioned the interest in a subscription monthly vintage RV E Magazine and they wrote back saying thay have been considering such a thing, perahps if everyone dropped them a line we might speed it along

Here is their answer to me about an e Magazine, I suggested a 5 or 10
Full View [iRV2 #FHR-826324]: iRV2 Forums Contact Us Form - starting an e magazine

Add to ContactsTo:kubiakw@bellsouth.net

Thanks for the interesting suggestion. We actually are considering something along those lines and would be happy to contact you when we're closer to implementation. iRV2 members have so much knowledge and it's cool to see so many folks willing to help out.

Janet

Forums Staff
dollar a year subscrpton price

TBirdCastle 03-29-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedneckExpress (Post 1126846)
Me, I try and find all of the old Popular Science, Popular Mechanics magazines from the 60s-80s I can find if for no other reason than the neat old RV ads in them. I've got a nice book that was actually published by Trailer Life years ago called "RX for Performance and Fuel Economy for your RV" or something very similar in name.

We've got some National Geographic magazines going back to 1900 in our library. Will never stop getting print material (Well vintage print material anyway), it's far too easy to lose it all (and far more likely) in a digital format than in a print (Chances of you being hacked/virused or your chinese made computer taking a dive are far more likely than a house burning down).

check google books, many free mags there.

TBirdCastle 03-29-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camperme2 (Post 1127100)
RV Lifestyle Magazine is the best I have found. Good tech, towing tips and reviews of products. Good Sam is mediocre but I do like to see how the staff have helped people with problems.
RV Lifestyle iss Canadian and can be accessed at www.rvlifemag.com and digital at www.rvlifemag-digital.com Tell them Mark sent you.

the problem with the mags offered now is it is 95% new and ad stuff and doesn't apply, I won't pay for an ad rag.

kenjh 04-12-2012 09:49 AM

I found this place by surprise.. like I find most of my reading ..RV times and such ..I like to read ..and I like to crawl under my new toy I don't think either medium can cover everything we need ..that is why I have 6 or 7 magazine subscriptions,and bookmarked a dozen web sites ..even the manufacturer can't help us with a 20 year old unit ..glad I found you guy's ..gonna need your help soon !!!

Bilito 04-12-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjh (Post 1141598)
I found this place by surprise.. like I find most of my reading ..RV times and such ..I like to read ..and I like to crawl under my new toy I don't think either medium can cover everything we need ..that is why I have 6 or 7 magazine subscriptions,and bookmarked a dozen web sites ..even the manufacturer can't help us with a 20 year old unit ..glad I found you guy's ..gonna need your help soon !!!

Welcome aboard, whatchagot??? I have a 20 yr old silver eagle 30 ft and have been bugging everyone here for a few months now, with the help I got here I am getting my rig roadworthy and livable

camperme2 04-17-2012 10:53 PM

I favour RV Lifestyle Magazine. It's a Canadian Publication. It has excellent articles and suggestions for repairs and other interesting things. Far better than many others I had received and did not renew.
Mark

kenjh 04-18-2012 10:36 PM

my rig is a rescue ..a 1987 Itasca Windancer..31 foot ..always wanted a Kenworth truck ..but this will do Lol;)...it has the normal problems ..owner doesn't know how to start the Generator ..open the Awning ..work half the lites ...and a bunch of other things ..and work gets in the way..