iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Travel Trailer Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   What you you guys use to keep your trailer fresh? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/what-you-you-guys-use-to-keep-your-trailer-fresh-121735.html)

kwjjohnson 04-23-2012 03:29 PM

What you you guys use to keep your trailer fresh?

I think my old (new to me) trailer must have been in storage for a bit, it has a "old trailer" smell. Not bad, not mildew or anything, just old...like dust, or an old barn. I cleaned all the surfaces and let it air out, but after being closed up it's smells like old again. Open the doors and windows and it's fresh again within minutes.
What do you guys use to keep your trailer fresh when it's not in use. I was thinking one of those Airwick fresheners or even the kind that spray every so many minutes. At some point the paneling should absorb the scent, right? Febreeze worked great, but as soon as the doors are shut for a few days, it's back. Maybe an air filter/ozonator running for a few days? Maybe it's just what trailers smelled like in 1988 :laugh: Any ideas would sure help.

ghoststories 04-23-2012 04:17 PM

Maybe you could sprinkle some baking soda on the carpeted areas, and let it sit a day or so before vacumning it up, or try sitting some bowls of vinager in the camper...wishing you all the best.

kwjjohnson 04-23-2012 04:23 PM

Thanks for the reply, Ghoststories... there are no carpeted areas though. Maybe on the seating though. What does vinegar do? I've never heard of using that?

KJ

Senior Chief 04-23-2012 04:33 PM

Try throwing some Bounce fabric softener sheets in the cupboards. People think Bounce repels mice (it doesn't) but it does leave a light fresh smell in the air.

Vinegar in a dish is a good, old fashioned air freshener, as well.

That "old closet" smell has probably permeated a lot of surfaces. A wipedown of everything you can reach; ceiling, floors, insides of drawers and cupboards and so on with a very weak bleach and water solution will also help.

ghoststories 04-23-2012 04:41 PM

Have you tried using disinfecting wipes, there are many brands available, the ones I use are bleach free, safe to use on most surfaces, and are lemon scented...I use them every spring to wipe down the entire camper from ceiling to floor, adds a nice clean smell.

W4RLR 04-23-2012 10:32 PM

Get vent covers for your roof vents, then leave the vents open. The covers will keep the rain out but let the interior air be changed.

kwjjohnson 04-24-2012 06:48 AM

W4RLR, I was looking at those at CampingWorld. I think those will help. I was also thinking about wiping all the surfaces with someting like Murphy's Oils soap or Pine Sol... Something with an oil that will get into the wood and maybe seal it. Heck, Maybe lemon Pledge would even work. It's not looking like rain here for another week so I left several of the windows open just a bit to air it out. Thanks for the ideas.

kj

sdennislee 04-24-2012 07:58 AM

Vinegar is a great neutralizer. I've used vinegar sitting about in bowls before to remove smoke and other odors. It will smell like vinegar for a few days but then the vinegar odor goes away. Like any liquid vinegar will evaporate, so you may need to replace the vinegar a couple times.

Wayne M 04-24-2012 08:52 AM

I leave it to DW and she buys some sort of air freshener. it works.

I think that the more you use it the less smell you will have. As you move around you circulate the air, but it does have to have some way of venting. If you ever walk into a "New" RV it has that particular odor to it, lie formaldehyde. The dealer will put fans in there and fire up the AC for 3 or 4 days on full blast and by the time it is picked up the smell as diminished considerably. You may want to stick a couple osculating fans in there with the vent or window open to see if that helps.

Good luck.

Kunysz513 04-24-2012 11:08 AM

A few bars of your favorite scented bar soap works well. I used Irish spring over the winter.

Akibase 04-24-2012 01:57 PM

SMELLS

if you have access to an ion unit, it will help a lot But, ventilation is the best cure. Had a friend that had the same issue. They put a apple spice potpuree (spelling) on the stove and let it simmer. That unit still smells great.

rf4 04-24-2012 02:32 PM

if you don't like the smell of vinegar, you can use coffee grounds or baking soda.

I like reed diffusers such as these. You can get them in ANY scent you like. They are available in many stores such as Target.

Reed Diffusers Products | at Puritan's Pride

Wayne M 04-24-2012 03:28 PM

My wife provided an addendum to my post. Here it is - her voice.

"We use Bath and Body Works plug-ins (eucalyptus mint, lemon, non-floral scents) in the galley plus a gel Air Wick on the ledge behind the toilet. When doggy paw odors get to me, I spray the carpet with Febreze. When human odors get to me, I suggest that you shower." (You meaning me!)

She also mentioned that I am not allowed to .....Well, the Marines banned it in Afghanistan, she's a Marine, She has banned it in the MH - but I just ignore it - heck no court-martial would ever see it her way - would they?

MartySQ 04-24-2012 03:34 PM

MMHmmm. I told ya... if a woman can figure out how not to do the Afghanistan banned explosions, men could too if they only wanted to!