iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   New Tires (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/new-tires-122846.html)

majfrizz 05-04-2012 04:24 PM

New Tires

well it is time again to invest $$$ in my DP. last year I replaced the front Michelins with a prorated deal from them. Now my rear tires are hitting 5 1/2 years young with about 17K miles, but the outside duals are showing too much cracking on the sidewalls. i went to 3 different Michelin dealers locally and of course received 3 different suggestions. the inside duals have no cracking and very good tread depth, same age, so just wait till they are 7 years old and replace them so one dealer said just replace the 2 outside tires and install the new tires on the outside, next dealer said to put the 2 new tires on one side and put the 2 inside duals on the other side, now of course the 3rd dealer says to replace all 4. i know the safest is to do all 4 since i am not sure of mixing the new tires like the other two dealers suggested. plus if i do all 4 right now it will save me any future price increase in another 18-24 months.

just wondering what others have done. even with the FMCA pricing i am looking at about $600 each out the door.....

Belgian 05-04-2012 04:46 PM

I just replaced all 6 on my W22 which are considerably less $s. I could have gotten away with only changing the rears but for peace of mind I went with full replacement. I understand FMCA has a deal with Michelin on pricing. I know you don't want to mix tires on the same side as the new tire will wear quickly to match the older tire. If you are a Costco member you can see if they carry your size. That is where I bought mine. They won't install them but the pricing was $100 less per tire. I also installed Magnum Beads (balancing beads) and they seem to work very well.

ninos 05-04-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgian (Post 1165952)
I just replaced all 6 on my W22 which are considerably less $s. I could have gotten away with only changing the rears but for peace of mind I went with full replacement. I understand FMCA has a deal with Michelin on pricing. I know you don't want to mix tires on the same side as the new tire will wear quickly to match the older tire. If you are a Costco member you can see if they carry your size. That is where I bought mine. They won't install them but the pricing was $100 less per tire. I also installed Magnum Beads (balancing beads) and they seem to work very well.

What size tires do you have

Belgian 05-04-2012 05:07 PM

W22 uses 235-80R/22.5 I bought the Michelin XRV which is what the MH came with from the factory. I think the other style is the ZXE which is stiffer and gives a harder ride.

majfrizz 05-04-2012 06:06 PM

i have 255/80R22.5, COSTCO can get them at $501 plus tax each, but then by the time I pay to have them installed elsewhere, almost at the same price.

majfrizz 05-07-2012 07:55 PM

i talked to Michelin today and here is what they suggested, something my old brain never even thought of. since the new front tires have only about 1000 miles on them, only replace the two outside duals, and put the new tires with the current new front tires on the rear. Then rotate the inside duals to the front. Personnalyy, I just like having the new treads on the front steering wheels myself. he then suggested that I take it to a Michelin dealer and have them evaluate the two outside duals and maybe they can work a pricing even better than the FMCA price. we will see later this week.

majfrizz 05-14-2012 09:43 AM

Michelin made my day again. The FMCA price for the tires were $493 each and they are going to give me a $250 credit on each tire for the abnormal sidewall cracking. I was shocked. So out the door the total price will be less than $500 for 2 tires, the date code was 4 months old, but for that price i will live with that date. They staff from Ziegler tire were very helpful in working this deal.

Jim_HiTek 05-14-2012 11:48 AM

Wow, I think this may be the first time I've heard of Michelin give an RV'er a break. And even admit that the cracking might be abnormal. I think you're lucky to have a dealer who will work with you.