iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   RV roof types: what's best? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rv-roof-types-whats-best-123532.html)

Tomthepilot 05-11-2012 03:59 PM

RV roof types: what's best?

Hello to all.
My first post here.
Wife & I doing the research to find the right diesel pusher. Probably end up with something about ten years old.
What are the roof choices:
  • Fiberglass vs. Rubber vs. ??
  • Which is the least maintenance?
  • Which is more durable for walking on?
  • Is it reasonable to attach a small lightweight platform to watch the sun set?
  • What if I wanted to attach something like solar panels?
  • Am I asking all the wrong questions?<grin>

Thanks,
Tom & Mel (soon to be retired)

JPMaly 05-11-2012 05:59 PM

Fiberglass, aluminum, tpo, britetek and rubber. I'd go with one piece fiberglass. Rubber roof cost $4000 and up to replace, and 10 year is getting close to the life of a rubber roof.

WeatherTodd 05-11-2012 06:15 PM

mine has an aluminum roof built on top of 4" of styrofoam and cross braces. It has 3 seams that are pretty easy to seal. The previous owner had a shop use dicor caulk to seal them over the existing eternabond. Wet or dry its no problem to walk around on it.

Fiberglass is nice but slick as hell with some morning "dew" on it. And with just enough slope to make it feel "unsafe". But overall...very waterproof. Some dont like the loud sound of rain with fiberglass. When clean... its blindingly white. Also the method with which its fastened is important. The "J" channel could come undone. Have seen this personally on a friends coach. $6k later he had a new roof.

Rubber is ok if the edges and caps are sealed properly. Not a hard job to replace but can be expensive at retail labor. Also branches and other objects could tear the membrane.

Old Bounder 05-11-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPMaly (Post 1174015)
.............10 year is getting close to the life of a rubber roof.

Where did this erroneous information come from?

Vegasdan 05-11-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loulong (Post 1174238)

Depends on how you take care of it. Neglect it and maybe 10 years. Take care of it and it will last.
As far as questions from the OP, have a bunch of people walking around on any roof is probably not the best idea.

AGP 05-11-2012 10:37 PM

Have had aluminum,rubber,and fiberglass over the years on various coaches.
If I had to choose I would go with fiberglass.

JPMaly 05-12-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loulong (Post 1174238)

Real life Lou.

336muffin 05-12-2012 07:00 PM

I have fiberglass with no seams.

Tomthepilot 05-13-2012 05:50 AM

Thanks to all for your advice. Looks like I'll lean toward fiberglass but if presented an offer I can't refuse I'll consider rubber or other.

Thanks,
Tom & Mel (soon to be retired)

az bound 05-13-2012 07:34 AM

Since you are just starting your search for a motorhome you might want to look at the "Airsteam Skydeck". The last ones were built in 2006. They were designed for roofop entertaining.

Jim_HiTek 05-13-2012 11:36 AM

Many people have added both solar panels and decks...I don't have the link to the deck company that gets the best reviews but you could probably search here on the forum and find it pretty easily.

Solar panels are fairly light, any competent solar installation outfit should be able to mount them no problem.

My TPO roof is still sound, I've had to seal a couple tears, the front and endcap seams, and around some roof mounted devices with Eternabond but the TPO itself is holding up well after 18 years.