iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   Musty smell (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/musty-smell-125896.html)

beachnstars 06-03-2012 09:56 PM

Musty smell

Just bought 98 airstream cutter 35' that has been sitting outside (covered) for about 3 years. Any suggestions for getting the old musty smell out of the carpet and fabrics?
Thanks!

retmotor 06-03-2012 10:28 PM

Congrats on the rig and welcome to the forum.

I like this stuff, Bissell Allergen Cleansing. In our cars and for spot cleaning, I mix a solution in a bucket, apply with a sponge, vacuum it up with a wet vac and wipe dry with a towel, depending on the surface being cleaned. For a motorhome, I'd rent one of those carpet cleaners with an upholstery attachment -- the kind you see at the front of Lowes and grocery stores.

If the musty smell is mold, that's a different problem.

faye 06-03-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachnstars (Post 1199123)
just bought 98 airstream cutter 35' that has been sitting outside (covered) for about 3 years. Any suggestions for getting the old musty smell out of the carpet and fabrics?
Thanks!

take up the carpet and remove the drapes, can replace carpet with a laminate. Fabrics hold a musty odor. Musty smell is usually caused by water/humidity.

Vegasdan 06-04-2012 01:00 PM

Check for leaks and fix em or you'll never stop the musty smell.

beachnstars 06-07-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faye (Post 1199151)
take up the carpet and remove the drapes, can replace carpet with a laminate. Fabrics hold a musty odor. Musty smell is usually caused by water/humidity.

Replaced drapes. Any tips on carpet replacement?

Auto hauler 06-07-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegasdan (Post 1199664)
Check for leaks and fix em or you'll never stop the musty smell.

Ditto on checking for leaks!

Also check or service the air conditioner(s) Who knows what kind of funk might be growing in and around the evaporator coils and condensation pan/drain. Don't forget the return air filters as well.

bdpreece 06-07-2012 08:20 AM

Rent a commercial ozone generator and let it run in it for a day or so. This will remove odors and kill mold and mildew.

Erlingiii 06-07-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdpreece
Rent a commercial ozone generator and let it run in it for a day or so. This will remove odors and kill mold and mildew.

Ditto, they even neutralize cigarette smoke.

MRBB 06-07-2012 06:00 PM

If you have a musty smell you have mold. Mold can make you very sick. I'd pull up the carpet, check the walls, ceiling and find the mold first and get rid of it. If you don't you will be sick. Take it from someone who knows living in Fl. Good luck.

Davdeb1 06-07-2012 08:17 PM

We have a smell we can't identify. The inside looks like there has never been a drop of water anywhere. I've smelled mold and mildew before, and this is not the same smell. I've smelled dead animals before, and that is not it either. I am on oxygen, and in no shape to pull up carpet and open up walls, so I'm just going to buy a commercial ozone generator. Two of my kids have moisture and mold in basements, so we will get our use out of it.

beachnstars 06-12-2012 07:13 AM

Thanks for all the great advice! Will let you know how it goes.

Davdeb1 06-12-2012 09:59 AM

I just bought a ozone generator, commercial grade. I'm running very other day for a week. I'll keep everyone posted.

chasmatt 06-12-2012 08:29 PM

Replace all of the vacuum breakers. The gaskets dry out which allows odors from the holding tanks to leak into the coach. We bought a MH that had been stored for several years. We fought the odors until I repllaced the vacuum breakers. The odors were musty, funky odors.

Dogpatch 06-12-2012 09:03 PM

Here is a quick read on the dangers of ozone.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/indoo...ct_sheet-a.pdf

I don't recommend the inexperienced to mess with ozone!
I am in Restoration and use ozone. We are VERY careful with it's use and applications.