iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   After 4 years of Retirement it's back to work. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/after-4-years-of-retirement-its-back-to-work-126108.html)

slickest1 06-05-2012 07:20 PM

After 4 years of Retirement it's back to work.

My body thinks it's going to die. I hauled 5 loads of ready mix today, and man am I stiff and sore. Any one else done something so dumb! I should be Rving, but decided to fill the coffers for this fall and winter. Hopefully we will head south then.

bsirby 06-05-2012 07:58 PM

We are workkamping this summer, so we can play this winter.

kben39 06-06-2012 02:46 PM

Retired in 04, in 08 went to work for Academy Sports and Outdoors. I wowrk pretty much when I want to, take off for trips, and best of all I get paid for talking about guns, hunting and fishing.

bluepill 06-06-2012 03:09 PM

I'm in the same boat. Retired 4 years ago, but it's time to think about recharging the bank account after our big trip (sse sig line).

I was thinking about WalMart greeter (really), but they are cutting them out in many stores. Now I'm thinking parts delivery driver for a dealership or parts store. I know that they have problems filling those positions with kids because of bad driving records amd general unreliability, and they usually like more mature people. It's also nice because you don't get stuck in the store for 8 hours standing on your feet.

Hipshot 06-06-2012 08:17 PM

I retired 3 years ago and unless the economy goes into a 1929 depression I will never have to work again. That said I do have a problem with a 25 year old mind trapped in a 66 year old body. My body just cannot do what my mind says it can do. Then we have a conflict and the body looses.

slickest1 06-06-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipshot (Post 1202528)
I retired 3 years ago and unless the economy goes into a 1929 depression I will never have to work again. That said I do have a problem with a 25 year old mind trapped in a 66 year old body. My body just cannot do what my mind says it can do. Then we have a conflict and the body looses.

I think I suffer from that problem as well 25/63 syndrome!:banghead:

AGP 06-11-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipshot (Post 1202528)

You got that right. I retired 5 years ago I'm so busy I don't know where I ever found the time to work. :thumb:

Cat320 06-11-2012 02:53 PM

Back to work!!! D**n, I'm sorry to hear that.:D

99-Am.Star 06-11-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kben39 (Post 1202177)
Retired in 04, in 08 went to work for Academy Sports and Outdoors. I wowrk pretty much when I want to, take off for trips, and best of all I get paid for talking about guns, hunting and fishing.

Now that there is the kind of job I need. I'm just starting to feel to old for what I'm doing now, and I only work part time:D:D

catonine 06-11-2012 04:03 PM

I retired about 7 years ago. I was sorta forced into retirement by the powers that be and at first hated not working. Now, unless something happens to change things, I never intend to work for a salary again. Retirement takes some serious adjusting but once you get past the initial stage, it is great. But like others have said, my body and my brain are totally against each other. Brain tells body you can do it, body tries, then pays the price.

desertrv 06-11-2012 08:43 PM

I hung up the tie and coat in 97, good pay but it was time. Started a house remodeling business in 99, doing well, bad auto accident, sold out. Got bored again, drove a school bus for 5 yrs then really retired. I am so busy that I don't know how I worked all those years. Only difference now, is I do what I want to do, travel a bit, ride the motorcycles, play bluegrass music, and enjoy the family, girls, grandkids, and great grandson. I should I add, with no pay. LOL

Mr_D 06-11-2012 08:50 PM

I retired in '98 at 51. Don't have to work but do just to keep busy and bring in a few $$ while waiting for the wife to retire.

Just For Fun 06-11-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickest1 (Post 1201203)
My body thinks it's going to die. I hauled 5 loads of ready mix today, and man am I stiff and sore. Any one else done something so dumb! I should be Rving, but decided to fill the coffers for this fall and winter. Hopefully we will head south then.

You gotta do what you gotta do. But why such a strenuous job?!?!?!

There's always next year.

FrankandMike 06-11-2012 09:52 PM

While camping this weekend I met a retired gentleman and his wife that are working for a security company where they park their RV at the entrance to drilling sites here in Texas. Their job is to log each person/truck that enters and leaves the location. I believe they said they're paid $150 per day (roughly $4,500 per month). They stated that with the oil and gas boom here in Texas that they are needing to fill many of these positions. They are provided all the resources for their RV (a generator and fuel, a large water tank for fresh water, propane, septic tank, security lights, etc.). They work roughly 6 - 8 months to accumulate funds and then take off the other months to have vacation. Could be an interesting thing for consideration.