iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Forest River Fifth Wheels (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/forest-river-fifth-wheels-129136.html)

gwlaeb 07-04-2012 03:08 PM

Forest River Fifth Wheels

Thinking about getiing a Wildcat. But just came across Pissed Consumer website that just ran Forest River into the ground checked about Keystone not as bad but still scarey.
Anybody have an idea we are ready to buy but know abit scared.

mhbell 07-04-2012 03:36 PM

I have had 2 Forest River 5th wheels and Liked both of them. They may not be top of the line, but if I was to get another fiver I would be considering the Wildcat with rear kitchen. I have a Jayco Designer right now. All trailers have there detractors those who have had problems and those who have not. BTW Warren Buffet is the Major stock holder in Forest River. Check the Forest River Owners Forum. You will find the same Displeased people about Keystone and any other brand.

amxpress 07-04-2012 05:51 PM

If you haven't already done so, check out this website:
Wildcat - Forest River Forums

kbaerg 07-04-2012 07:31 PM

Although it's not a fifth wheel we have a forest river Cherokee Grey wolf trailer and we really like it. we have had no issues what so ever with ours, in fact we just got back last week from a 700 mile round trip to Custer,SD. When we started our search to upgrade we had selected another Forest river fifth wheel but due to layout and options as of now we are looking at something else. When We looked at ONE wildcat fifth wheel there were two concerns I had with it, One was some (a lot) of the welds on the aluminum frame were burnt through and looked like only one little bead holding it together, the second was the floor between the bedroom and bathroom felt spongy so we passed. Again this was only ONE we had looked at.

mga60tw 07-04-2012 07:51 PM

I bought a 2006 Wildcat almost 3 years ago. It has done very well and I took it on a 10 month trip from Florida to Alaska and back and it did very well. I would not hesitate to buy another Wildcat. That said there are always some that are going to be trouble as with any brand. Is it the luck of the draw? Maybe, but as with anything you buy, you can get the lemon.

Beausdog 07-11-2012 04:56 PM

I have a 2013 Forest River Sierra 365SAQ. Love every aspect of it. Sure i have had the normal issues for warranty work but one issue i did have, the dealer couldnt get me in for 3 weeks. I called FR and as i was passing through Indiana anyway....they brought me into their factory to fix it. Couldn't have been more helpdul and accommodating!!!!!

jmrkav 07-11-2012 06:02 PM

Forest River and Keystone are both low end manufacturers. At their price range that is what you are going to get. They work for some people. You just need to think if that is what you want and or can afford.

JIMNLIN 07-11-2012 06:37 PM

First off I'm not a brand basher as I have owned a Fleetwood/Skyline and my current Thor product which were all 5th wheel trailers. I would buy another if I needed one and the floorplan was right.

You can insert any 5th wheel trailer name in place of the FR or Keystone and do a google. You can find customers complaints of all kinds.

Same with your brand of tow vehicle.

I don't have a FR product or Keystone product nor have I ever owned one. They have entry level units and higher quality units depending on the product you buy.

My advise is chose the floorplan you like within your price range and go camping or RVing whichever the case.

jmrkav 07-12-2012 06:45 AM

The Rv industry knows that most Rvers are more concerned with floorplans than quality. Most of the low end manufactuers make more expensive low end models by adding upper end features and glitz but use the same low end construction. Again, it doesen't hurt to go in with your eyes open.

azdryheat 07-12-2012 09:56 PM

Ok so who are the higher end manufacturers THAT ARE STILL IN BUSINESS? All I ever seem to hear is that best made are orphans.

Terry Jay 07-12-2012 10:33 PM

Purchased a FR Coachmen Brookstone in February. Moved it from Boise to Forks,WA to storage. Got it out in April, took it to Indiana, then to Montana and now in Alaska. Have had some warranty issues but nothing that has not been dealt with. So far we are very happy with it.

TXiceman 07-13-2012 05:29 AM

You will generally have issues to varying degrees with any RV. Remember that the Wildcat is an entry level trailer and it is built pretty inexpensively.

I feel you will be better off to buy a 3 to 5 year old higher end RV than a new entry level.

Ken

Rogerl 07-13-2012 08:07 PM

We bought a wildcat last September. It is our first Rv. When we bought it I didn't know if it was top of the line, bottom of the line or anything. We have taken it on a 3,000 mile trip and a 1500 mile trip and are quite happy with it. We are planning to take it to Alaska next summer.

azdryheat 07-15-2012 12:31 AM

According to the mod,
there are no new high-end models on the market, only used. Did I read that correctly?