iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Xtra ride extended warranty - your ideas? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/xtra-ride-extended-warranty-your-ideas-135921.html)

SF Bob 09-04-2012 02:18 PM

Xtra ride extended warranty - your ideas?

My dealer is proposing I buy an XtraRide extended warranty for my 2011 Winnebago Sightseer (which I purchased new). It is through a company called Protective, Asset Protection Division. I asked for a quote on their "platinum coverage" because it was the only one that lists what is excluded, rather than what is included. Got an initial quote of $4725 for 60 months.

1) Does anyone have experience with this particular company?
2) Any comments on the price?

Thanks, in advance, for your comments

Bobbi

Ranger Smith 09-04-2012 02:26 PM

I would be careful of any extended warranty. They usually exclude more than they include. I have Good Sam ESP and like it.

jmarmor 09-04-2012 02:33 PM

I liked them

I purchased the same coverage when I purchased my new 2005 Holiday Rambler in 2006. The unit new cost me $195K. I paid around $5000-$6000 for coverage. I feel I got my monies worth because several things had to be fixed or replaced. I returned to the same dealer who sold me the coverage and all is taken care for without any hastles. When I had to go to a different repair shop, not RV, I had a hard time with them because they didn't follow the protocol XTRA ride requires. So made sure you have them call first because they repair anything. The repair shop must follow Protective (XTRA ride) protocol sequence before any repair. They still paid (not 100%) but I had to call them and argue myself for payment. I think you won't go wrong if you can afford the initial outlay. If I buy another unit, higher end, I would look for pre owed. Too much money goes out the window for new and you have more issues new then used. It taked many trips before you get out all the kinks.
They have a very good pay policy in my opinion. Good luck. Jeff

daveshan 09-04-2012 03:24 PM

I took over the XtraRide policy on my coach when I bought it from a private party. Not too long after I took it in for a cracked exhaust manifold on the ISC. They paid no questions asked and the owner of the shop said it was the best experience with an "Extended warranty" company he'd had.

YMMV and of course the company is in it for the money and on most policies they don't pay out as much as they take in. You buy hoping you'll save more in repairs than you'll spend on the policy and they write the policy hoping they won't have to pay out more than they got. From what I've seen in the last year or two on forums XtraRide seems to pay well when needed, my experience certainly mirrors that.

Itascarizon 09-04-2012 03:58 PM

Check Wholesale Warranties for a quote before you purchase. They saved me some bucks.:)

montiem 09-04-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SF Bob
My dealer is proposing I buy an XtraRide extended warranty for my 2011 Winnebago Sightseer (which I purchased new). It is through a company called Protective, Asset Protection Division. I asked for a quote on their "platinum coverage" because it was the only one that lists what is excluded, rather than what is included. Got an initial quote of $4725 for 60 months.

1) Does anyone have experience with this particular company?
2) Any comments on the price?

Thanks, in advance, for your comments

Bobbi

I have had three coaches with Good SAMs always good experience. This last coach checked wholesale warranty, GS was considerably lower with better coverage.

bldr11 09-04-2012 05:08 PM

I had extra ride and loved it. No questions asked on claims,more than paid for itself. Check around, you can save money by shopping different agents

Brinson 09-04-2012 05:52 PM

I had Xtra Ride on my last coach and while I never had a claim on it, I requested a refund after I sold the coach. I followed the procedure in the book and sent the request in writing. After just a few short weeks I received a refund check in the mail with no problems.

B Bob 09-04-2012 06:39 PM

We have had an Extra Ride extended warranty policy for almost 3 years now. They have been very good to work with. I recommend them highly.

buck454 09-05-2012 08:26 AM

This company also recommended by the dealership where we purchased our GS last year (now a Newmar dealership). In our trade deal a 3-year ext warranty was included and we added an additional year. Fortunatedly we have not made a claim with company but I trust the dealership to have made a good recommendation. I must admit the 3-yr ext warranty help sweetn the deal.

kalynzoo 09-05-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itascarizon (Post 1298845)
Check Wholesale Warranties for a quote before you purchase. They saved me some bucks.:)

2x: They not only gave me a good price but when I had a claim they acted as an agent making sure the claim was handled promptly. Most dealers just sell a product (the warranty).

rvrover2010 09-06-2012 08:17 PM

I have a winnebago Voyage that I bought new with the extended warranty. Glad I did. it has paid for itself with all the issues I've had

Mr_D 09-06-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buck454 (Post 1299511)
This company also recommended by the dealership where we purchased our GS last year (now a Newmar dealership). In our trade deal a 3-year ext warranty was included and we added an additional year. Fortunatedly we have not made a claim with company but I trust the dealership to have made a good recommendation. I must admit the 3-yr ext warranty help sweeten the deal.

Just a note: by law they are not a "warranty" they are a contract that may or may not pay for repairs. There are certain provisions that must be followed, if not they can deny payment. A true warranty can only come from the vehicle manufacturer.

drwyatt 09-07-2012 12:02 AM

I have ExtraRide and it has been great, But call Jeff Shelton at Wholesale Warranties or email. He can save you money on the plan. Tell Jeff I refered you to him for the best price, Dave Wyatt
I have the Platinum plan and it has been great.
jeff@wholesalewarranties.net or 800-939-2806 x 703

This plan has paid for itself in 2 years. RV repairs of any kind is expensive.