iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV Systems & Appliances (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Septic smell when driving (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/septic-smell-when-driving-139565.html)

PuebloPete 10-09-2012 12:52 PM

Septic smell when driving

Only when driving, I get an intense sewer smell throughout the coach. As soon as I park, it goes away until I drive again. I've done a lot of searches here and have come up with these two possible solutions. One was the vent cap by the sink, which is sprung closed, and two, was the vent on the roof. Here's my problem, the vent is screwed down and then just gobbed with putty. What am I looking for exactly and do I have to scrape off all the putty, look in there and seal it back up? Or could it be something else? Its been fine since I've owned it. Thank you for any input.

CLIFFTALL 10-09-2012 01:05 PM

I found if we have grey water in our tank and don't put stoppers in all the drains , we get the same.

Cliff

redfire312 10-09-2012 01:25 PM

agree, sink stoppers go a long ways towards odor abatement

PuebloPete 10-09-2012 04:00 PM

But its been fine for a year and a half and all of a sudden it happens. Stoppers might help but there's something else wrong.

Tony Lee 10-09-2012 04:12 PM

Only happen when the drivers window open causing suction?

Check the air vent valves under each sink/basin to make sure they aren't stuck open.

Roof vent pipe slipped down into the tank so not functional. (the cap comes off the roof vent so you can check that without having to remove the whole fitting off the roof.

Ed-Sommers 10-10-2012 08:38 AM

The P-traps can be emptied by the wind blowing across the vent pipe so an adapter to the pipe is needed, or, all drains, including the shower drain, being blocked should stop the smell from invading during travel.

This is, of course, a stop gap measure.

Ed

JC2 10-10-2012 09:06 AM

Each sink should have one of the following valves shown for your gray water tank that allows air in but not out(unless defective)for proper venting of odors/draining. They will occasionally go bad and need replacing. Simply unscrew and replace handtight. Shop Keeney Mfg. Co. Black Plumbing Vent at Lowes.com=

If your black tank vent pipe on the roof has not slipped down into the tank, I would consider removing the current cap and installing one of these. I would avoid the solar powered fan caps as they are usually junk.
Rotating Plumbing Vent Cap - Cyclone by Camco - PPL Motor Homes

Lastly, make sure that the toilet bowl has water in it and all sink ptraps have water in them especially if the rv has been sitting unused for some time.

hamguy 10-10-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuebloPete (Post 1334611)
Only when driving, I get an intense sewer smell throughout the coach. As soon as I park, it goes away until I drive again. I've done a lot of searches here and have come up with these two possible solutions. One was the vent cap by the sink, which is sprung closed, and two, was the vent on the roof. Here's my problem, the vent is screwed down and then just gobbed with putty. What am I looking for exactly and do I have to scrape off all the putty, look in there and seal it back up? Or could it be something else? Its been fine since I've owned it. Thank you for any input.

My Itasca has vent pipes coming from the holding tanks and rising up about 2- 2 1/2 feet with a anti suction stopper ball to keep the drains from being siphoned when the tanks are dumped. The pipes are located in the kitchen sink cabinet and the bathroom cabinet. Look under either sink and you should see pipes going up to nowhere in each.

leadfoot3 10-10-2012 11:57 AM

empty p trap for the washing machine?.........that's what it was on mine.

PuebloPete 10-12-2012 11:50 AM

Thanks for all your replies. The sink one seems fine, its sprung shut. I think the problem is the vents on the roof, but the caps on them are screwed down and then all the screws are covered in putty. Should I scrape that off and unscrew the cap to look in? Will I be able to see anything? I also have 2 vents up there, is one for the grey and one for the black? Thanks.

PuebloPete 10-12-2012 11:52 AM

One other thing, how come only when I'm driving? Cause the tanks are sloshing around?