iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Dash AC blows hot air (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dash-ac-blows-hot-air-14040.html)

GoneFishin 11-08-2007 05:04 PM

I've searched all the forums and read the posts on dash AC, but didn't find an answer so here I go. (I'm posting without the input of Rick, so bear w/ me please.)

This was an admitted problem from the selling dealer (who we fired) and continues today. The heater hose was clamped off by the dealer with a barlock and the dash AC blew cold air. Very nice. They removed the clamps and replaced the temp valve controller and thought they fixed the problem until I drove away and the engine temperature reached 125. Then it blew hot and progressively got hotter as the engine temp increased.

Our second, new-favorite, dealer wasn't sure they had the techs to fix it, but they talked with Monaco and replaced the entire unit. They also thought it was resolved until I drove away and the engine temp reached 125 and started blowing hot again. An interesting thing and a possible hint to the problem is when I stopped and let the engine idle before shutting it off, the air started getting cold again!

We've seen a shut off valve installed on SOB MH's but don't know if any other Monaco owners have resorted to this. The dealer wants to try again (when they try again to fix the impossible speaker noise), but we are not sure we want to leave it again if there is no end in sight. We believe the dealer will do their best and work with Monaco to try to resolve it, BUT. We will be at the FMCA rallies in January and February and the Monaco rally in February and I'm thinking of "saving" it for the Monaco technicians, either at the rallies or in Oregon a couple months later.

Any thoughts on what's wrong?
Any further tests we can run to try to help find a resolution?
Any thoughts about taking it to the techs at a rallies? (the dash AC and the speaker noise problems)

Thanks in advance! Much appreciated.

GoneFishin 11-08-2007 05:04 PM

I've searched all the forums and read the posts on dash AC, but didn't find an answer so here I go. (I'm posting without the input of Rick, so bear w/ me please.)

This was an admitted problem from the selling dealer (who we fired) and continues today. The heater hose was clamped off by the dealer with a barlock and the dash AC blew cold air. Very nice. They removed the clamps and replaced the temp valve controller and thought they fixed the problem until I drove away and the engine temperature reached 125. Then it blew hot and progressively got hotter as the engine temp increased.

Our second, new-favorite, dealer wasn't sure they had the techs to fix it, but they talked with Monaco and replaced the entire unit. They also thought it was resolved until I drove away and the engine temp reached 125 and started blowing hot again. An interesting thing and a possible hint to the problem is when I stopped and let the engine idle before shutting it off, the air started getting cold again!

We've seen a shut off valve installed on SOB MH's but don't know if any other Monaco owners have resorted to this. The dealer wants to try again (when they try again to fix the impossible speaker noise), but we are not sure we want to leave it again if there is no end in sight. We believe the dealer will do their best and work with Monaco to try to resolve it, BUT. We will be at the FMCA rallies in January and February and the Monaco rally in February and I'm thinking of "saving" it for the Monaco technicians, either at the rallies or in Oregon a couple months later.

Any thoughts on what's wrong?
Any further tests we can run to try to help find a resolution?
Any thoughts about taking it to the techs at a rallies? (the dash AC and the speaker noise problems)

Thanks in advance! Much appreciated.

Robin_M 11-08-2007 06:55 PM

Mic,

In my opinion, it may be doubtful if you will get satisfaction with either of these items at a rally. They are more complex than what they normally do at rallies - at least by my observations at the recent East Coast rally in Greensboro. I'd continue to work with your dealer on them.

I don't have a suggestion about the AC problem, but a good dealer mechanic who's been trained on the chassis should be able to fix that - especially with Monoco's help. It may be an engine issue and not an issue with the AC unit itself.

I do know more about the noise problem, if you are talking about "noise" coming from the speakers when you are using the home theater amp. I've resolved that problem in my Diplomat using parts from Monaco's first attempt at a "kit" to fix the problem. See this thread for details. Also Mike Becker, the manager of Customer Service in Indiana, said at the Greensboro rally that they are working on a new fix for the problem. My suggestion would be to discuss this with Monaco tech reps yourself to get the latest details.

MonacoMama 11-08-2007 07:52 PM

Mick...
Ditto what Robin said about trying to get those two items taken care of at the rallies. I am like Rob..I cannot answer the AC problem...BUT check out the link he has in his post. I am about ready to post some info there regarding what Monaco did and didnot do for us...

GoneFishin 11-08-2007 08:22 PM

Oh, I've followed the speaker noise problem on these boards since before I knew we had that problem. And we provided our dealer with Service Bulletin 07-07-08 which Monaco emailed to us. And as the dealer was working through it, the news that a second fix was available. I plan to contact Elkhart tomorrow morning to get the details on the new fix. Thankfully Rick understands electronics very well and I think if given the opportunity to live in the MH for a few days, he could fix it.

You answered one of my questions about the tech repairs at rallies. We've been informed by the Monaco rally organizer that we can have 2 items listed to be repaired. I think these 2 would be a good challenge for them. http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/whip.gif

I also give our new dealer, Robert Crist RV a lot of credit for trying to fix the dash AC. They explained in the beginning that they did not think they had the techs qualified for the AC repair. Our options are to let them try again, which they want to do rather than refer us to someone else, OR we take the MH to Massey's here in Phoenix.

We'll think this through some more, get the latest fix on the surround sound speak problem, talk with Massey's, see if anyone can provide some cool thoughts on our hot AC, http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/sun_smiley.gif and work it out. We are very happy with the motorhome and with the dealer. Just need to spend more time in it. Thanks!

MonacoMama 11-08-2007 08:47 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We've been informed by the Monaco rally organizer that we can have 2 items listed to be repaired. I think these 2 would be a good challenge for them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
AHHHH..yes... but the catch is...they can choose to do them or NOT! Those two items will be shuffled to the bottom of the list. I would have some other items as backup repairs... http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/cute.gif

ronboc 11-09-2007 02:11 AM

I also agree that the AC issue may be bigger than can/want to be handled at a Rally. It could get into several different systems, and a knowledgeable dealer (huh?) would be better-prepared to handle it.

I had a SOB that had a real bad heat-problem with the AC, and the mfgr finally came out with an 'upgrade' (at additional cost!) system that was to fix the problem. I'd already gotten fed-up with the coach and had sold it by then so I don't know how well the fix works/worked. But when I did have it, I had installed a simple shut-off valve on the waterline, which did help immensely.

Since I hate being near cold-weather, the dash AC is more apt to be running than the heater, so I put a shutoff valve in the present coach "just in case". If it's going to be cold that day, I'll open the valve, but it most-often stayed in the 'off' position. I did periodically cycle the valve and run anti-freeze thru the heater-core to keep it clean and flowing, too.

It's not necessarily a fault of Monaco, but could be a result of several conditions. The shutoff valve could be weak/leaking, the AC hoses could be flowing less volume than spec'ed, engine-water temp could be higher than spec, and so on. That valve has to shut off water at (typically) 100*F over ambient and at a good amount of pressure, while the AC system is either energized (and flowing) or not, so there's a lot less force with it compared to the heater side.

A simple water shutoff valve and a couple hose/thread adapters is probably the easiest solution. It can always be taken off at some later time for a more 'elegant' fix.

Robin_M 11-09-2007 04:48 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
AHHHH..yes... but the catch is...they can choose to do them or NOT! Those two items will be shuffled to the bottom of the list. I would have some other items as backup repairs... http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/cute.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep, and the other "catch" is that they try not to schedule more than two hours per coach. (Otherwise they might not get around to everybody.)

Robin_M 11-09-2007 04:56 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronboc:
Since I hate being near cold-weather, the dash AC is more apt to be running than the heater, so I put a shutoff valve in the present coach "just in case". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ron,

Isn't there already one somewhere on our ISL engine? I remember the ISB on the Discovery had a "house type" water valve right on top of the engine that could be adjusted. But I haven't seen it on the ISL - not that I've looked very hard.

ronboc 11-09-2007 03:26 PM

Robin -

Yes, there is a shut-off valve from the factory, and perhaps I should have been more clear on that. It is vacuum-operated and controlled by the dash-mounted AC/heat/fan controller (you can often hear the little pump running when you're cycling the controller).

On my coach, and probably your Dip' too, it's located on the passenger-side front firewall just below the rest of the AC assembly. The existing shut-off valve can sometimes not fully cut-off the hot-water flow, hence the addition of the manual valve (What?! You mean you DON'T wear suspenders along with a belt too?).

The AC/heat system is made by the Specific Climate Systems (SCS) company out of Fort Worth TX, good folks to work with if ever needed.

Robin_M 11-09-2007 07:13 PM

Ron,

So THAT'S what that noise is I hear when turning the comfort control switch? I've wondered about that often. http://irv2.infopop.cc/groupee_commo...n_confused.gif Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is any adjustment on that vacuum operated valve? In my coach, I get heat unless I turn the temp. control knob almost all the way to the "blue" side - even when the selector switch is on "AC".

On the ISB there was a hefty valve right on the top of the engine that could be easily reached through the bedroom floor access hatch. Turn that off, and no hot water moved forward.

ronboc 11-10-2007 02:00 AM

Robin -

Yup, that's what it is. We were in WY a few months back, and I pulled off the road when I heard a new noise coming from somewhere "up front". Turned out to be the vacuum pump trying its little heart out to pull sufficient vacuum when we were already over 10,000 ft altitude. Everything normal when we got back to flatlands.

To my knowledge there is no adjustment per se, other than the dash-knob.
After a LOT of fiddling with my previous one (and this coach system is very similar), I found that you could get a bit of heat/cool adjustment at the dash know but you had to make small changes and wait for a period of time til the heater/AC cores would equalize temps again. The heat side would very easily 'overpower' the cooling side, so it was touchy.

Ron

Robin_M 11-10-2007 05:32 AM

Ron,

Ah, that too, is helpful information. Understanding of how something works is always better than the frustration of trying to figure out why it's not doing what you expect. Thanks again.

GoneFishin 11-10-2007 09:10 PM

The really great thing about this site is that even though no one has an answer (yet) for our dash AC problem, my questions prompted others to discuss similar issues and information is shared.

I'm glad we could help by getting you guys together. I learned something from your discussion. When our issue is resolved we will post the informatin here for others to learn about. This is a great site! http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/program.gif