iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   2008 Allegro Bay FRED no DC power in Coach (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/2008-allegro-bay-fred-no-dc-power-in-coach-145563.html)

data4dan 12-13-2012 08:48 PM

2008 Allegro Bay FRED no DC power in Coach

I've replaced the two 6 volt dead house batteries with new batteries... still can not operate slides. Chassis battery is low, tried AUX start, did not work. Is connected to 50 amp AC power. Was hoping to operate slides to get to chassis batteries to charge or change out. Does anyone know if there is a breaker or fuse that I might check... Thanks

LVJ58 12-13-2012 10:49 PM

You should have 2 battery disconnect switches located somewhere in your coach, one for the chassis battery and one for the house batteries, are they ON?

Also in some coaches before slides can be operated the parking brake may need to be set, but not sure..

You might also want to check all the 12v fuses in the 12v fuse panel generally located somewhere inside your coach.

Sure hope you can resolve your problem without too much difficulty. Perhaps a FRED chassis owner will jump in and be better able to help you with more detailed information.

Best of luck and safe travels...

smaaj 12-17-2012 08:08 PM

Slides

The slides work off the battries. Make sure you engine is running and your battery indicator is at 13.9 volts., parking break set and battery sut off switch is on.

Smaaj
2008 Alegro Open Road (Fred)

mrv8outboard 12-18-2012 09:47 AM

Also check the condition of the chassis batteries. My FRED did not have a way to charge/maintain the chassis batteries on shore power so I installed a "Battery Tender" in electrical compartment connected the the chassis battery leads for this purpose.

Grn_Mtn_Boy 12-19-2012 03:05 PM

To operate slides, engine must be running, parking brake engaged and chassis battery voltage must be high enough. Before running the slides, you'll have to get engine started. Try running the generator (make sure the AC breaker for the charger is not tripped). Run it for a while once your voltmeter indicates it is charging the coach batteries, (voltage above 13.5). You should then be able to start the engine with the aux start button, that jumps the coach batteries to the chassis batteries. After a few minutes, the alternator will be putting out 13.9 volts or so, then the slides should work.

jzick 12-19-2012 03:41 PM

There is a large, flat fuse (50 Amp, I believe) between the house and chassis batteries. On our 2007 it is on the wall of the battery compartment. If the chassis batteries are real low and you use aux start, that fuse can blow. If you have a road service, you can call them for a jump start, or pay someone. You have to make certain they bring a big truck like used for semis. They can connect under the front access door (opened to check oil, etc) if the slides are closed. With ours, the slide could be opened while connected to the jump vehicle.

mrv8outboard 12-20-2012 06:07 AM

That flat fuse (copper ends with the holes and black plastic center?) is 250 AMP's. Yes if your chassis batteries are that dead you can fail that fuse. I have done just that and that is why I installed the "Battery Tender". also by that time one of the chassis batteries were bad so replaced both.

data4dan 12-21-2012 09:26 AM

Thanks for all the replys... we did all that was suggested. We had McFaddins RV repair guy out and it appears we may have a defective inverter that may have failed. It did not fail due to a power spike because it was protected by a Hughes Autoformer. Like the idea of using a battery tender.

LVJ58 12-22-2012 06:32 PM

Happy to hear you got your problem identified and we appreicate the feedback.

Best of luck and travel safe...

danf7 12-28-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrv8outboard (Post 1403616)
Also check the condition of the chassis batteries. My FRED did not have a way to charge/maintain the chassis batteries on shore power so I installed a "Battery Tender" in electrical compartment connected the the chassis battery leads for this purpose.

Did the same on my rig. Easy to do and took care of my charging issue.
Make sure parking brake is on or slides don't work. Another way to charge is to start the genny and use genny to charge both battery banks.
Dan