iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   34TGA vs 34RED vs 36 Phaeton (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/34tga-vs-34red-vs-36-phaeton-146377.html)

deasnealy 12-24-2012 06:53 AM

34TGA vs 34RED vs 36 Phaeton

Hello everyone,

My wife and I will be newbies and are looking for lightly used Tiffin or possibly a new one. I have been watching, reading and enjoying this forum. Its such a great source of info and everyone is so informed. We enjoy getting information directly from owners.

We have been narrowing down our search and found we want a rig between 30 and 36 feet. Somewhat of a compromise, as I want to be stealth and hit all the national park sites with no problem and DW would like a larger coach and its amenities. I have narrowed the search to Tiffin, Newmar and Winnebago. We really like floorplan and amenities of the RED 34. I like that the Phaeton 36 has some better chassis components and other options. I like the price of the Gasser that looks similar in floorplan.

I have been looking hard for a comparison chart of models. I am thinking of something like:

34TGA 34RED 36 Phaeton Notes

Engine
Chassis
CCC
Storage
Sleeps

Etc..

I figured Tiffin would have a comparison. Anyway, I thought the group of owners may have some input. We are also posting this on the Tiffin forum.

Its me and DW and 3 dogs and cat.. (I know a little crazy.)..

Thanks again for any thoughts and advice.

Oscar Mike 12-24-2012 07:03 AM

I don't see the comparisons...the 34TGA being a gasser, compared to two DP. The Phaeton is my dream coach so I am a bit biased. When and if I get to move into a DP it will be along the Phaeton lines.

luvlabs 12-24-2012 07:34 AM

The comparison is $, $$, and $$$. The Allegro and Allegro Red have different chassis but share the same interior components. The Allegro Red is more expensive since it sits on the Freightliner small diesel chassis. The Phaeton also uses the Freightliner or Tiffin chassis but with the larger Cummins diesel. Phaeton interiors are different as well as the electronics packages.

I'd say pick the floorplan you like and then figure out if you can afford it.

woodburner 12-24-2012 07:48 AM

Not knowing what your budget is; If you could afford it I would go with the Phaeton with out giving it a second thought. The gasser will never give you the type of ride or the power you'll get out of the bigger diesel. Not to mention they are quite a step up from the gas models with a similar floor plan.

CoastieSCPO 12-24-2012 08:32 AM

Speaking of Tiffin, if you can afford it, go for the Phaeton. It's the best selling DP out there! Now, to compare the 34 foot Red diesel with the 34 foot gasser, that's a different story. I would like to have a DP, but am not prepared to spend the extra cash for one based upon our financial situation and our traveling needs. The RED and the TGA are both Allegro Open Road trim lines. They are basically the same inside insofar as the furniture, electronics, cabinets, etc. Of course the RED has the air ride, residential refrigerator, DP performance, braking, etc. But, and it' the decider for me, the RED costs about 75 thousand dollars more, give or take, than the TGA.

I am a tad biased however as I own a 2012 Tiffin 34 TGA. We have traveled and lived in it for several months since purchasing it in April and I must say, it is the most livable gas motor home that I have owned. Another thing, in your search, check with RED owners concerning the access to the bathroom in the 34 footer when all the slides are in. I am not certain that the toilet is easily accessible. Not certain, just a thought.

deasnealy 12-24-2012 10:06 AM

I had heard about the bathroom issue before. I heard you had to leave the door open to really get in underway.. Thanks for your thoughts

deasnealy 12-24-2012 10:09 AM

Thanks. I see you have the 32 CA. What do you like and dislike about that floorplan. Would you want to upgrade to the 34 gasser if you could or is the 32 working well for you?

Appreciate your thoughts.

deasnealy 12-24-2012 10:12 AM

Well I could go with the Phaeton budget wise, but I also could buy a Lexus and buy the same car in an Avalon. So I struggle moving up unless there is clear value for the dollars spent. I would be interested in know if someone upgraded from the 34 gas to a phaeton or red and are they all glad and feel its worth the extra 75k to 100k spread.

lass 12-24-2012 12:09 PM

deasnealy, My wife and I are also new to the RV world, and just like you, narrowed the search to the Tiffin (RED Diesel) and Newmar (Ventana) because they are both very reputable and established companies. After deciding that I wanted the HP and torque of the diesel, and settling on the floor plan, my final selection came down to the Newmar Comfort Drive steering which really is a big deal for easy driving. You're doing the right thing by asking questions on this site.:thumb: Good luck in your choice.

Las, 2013 Ventana 3434

okgc 12-24-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deasnealy (Post 1408971)
Well I could go with the Phaeton budget wise, but I also could buy a Lexus and buy the same car in an Avalon. So I struggle moving up unless there is clear value for the dollars spent. I would be interested in know if someone upgraded from the 34 gas to a phaeton or red and are they all glad and feel its worth the extra 75k to 100k spread.

We went from an 34 ft Fleetwood Bounder Gas to a Tiffin RED 36QSA. There is absolutely a huge jump between gas and a DP chassis. If you can afford the DP go that direction.

In the spring of 2010 we drove to a Tiffin dealer to look at Phaeton models. We did not know about the Allegro RED until we arrived. 32 months later, we still believe a RED is HUGE bang for the $ spent.

deasnealy 12-24-2012 01:19 PM

Thanks. I recall the newmar steering and that is an excellent point. I hear these smaller coach wheelbase ratio need some additional steering control. Actually, I hear most say the aftermarket addition of a steer safe or similar control is necessary. Makes you wonder why the manufacturer does not do this for all low wheel base ratios??

I will look into this comfort steering. Appreciate it.

luvlabs 12-25-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deasnealy (Post 1408967)
Thanks. I see you have the 32 CA. What do you like and dislike about that floorplan. Would you want to upgrade to the 34 gasser if you could or is the 32 working well for you?

Appreciate your thoughts.

If I was going to upgrade my 32 CA to another gas unit, I'd go for the 36 LA. It is Tiffin's largest gas coach and it has one of the more creative floor plans available in a gasser.

However, we love our little 32 footer as it has more than enough room for the two of us. We still have empty drawers and cabinets. What can I say.

deasnealy 12-25-2012 07:12 AM

And you can fit in most spaces! I am 6'4" and we have 3 dogs and possibly a cat (hoping someone in the family will babysit the cate for a year or 3). I think we may need a bit more space...

Tractor16 12-25-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deasnealy (Post 1409594)
And you can fit in most spaces! I am 6'4" and we have 3 dogs and possibly a cat (hoping someone in the family will babysit the cate for a year or 3). I think we may need a bit more space...

Deasnealy, We looked at both DP & Gassers. We had SOB before that was a Gasser. We are retired but not fulltimers as our home base is in Arizona. We wanted the DP but could not see the $$$$$ for the Red at almost the same size. We go up hills a little slower but we are not in a hurry to get there. We found a 2012 Tiffin TGA with only around 4600 miles at Lazydays. She is a Beauty. The extra $$$$ we saved we put in an account every month that is just for Travel. We also go on long trips with cats and we also have bays that are not full. The only thing i would have liked on the 34' TGA was a 4 door Frig but the counter space is great as our last coach did not have much. I hope you are happy with what you Choose and have safe Travel's and No WIND!!!