iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Air force 1 brake system (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/air-force-1-brake-system-146566.html)

The Okie 12-26-2012 06:42 PM

Air force 1 brake system

I may need to set my wrangler up to tow. Already have air force 1 unit on motorhome and jeep cherokee. Need to purchase the auto half to install on 2010 rubicon. Emailed SMI but no response who sells just the half I need.

macandphyl 12-26-2012 06:52 PM

They may be closed for the Holidays, as I've all ways found them
to be flawless on customer service/support.
Try calling them as well.

FlyingDiver 12-26-2012 07:08 PM

I've never seen just half the kit listed for sale anywhere. I expect you'll need to get the parts directly from SMI. They're very good about service, but they might be closed for the holidays.

Pigman1 12-27-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macadnphyl (Post 1411035)
They may be closed for the Holidays, as I've all ways found them
to be flawless on customer service/support.
Try calling them as well.

X2

I'd retry them after Jan 2

Wayne M 12-28-2012 09:53 AM

Any dealer should be able to order what you need. Parts are parts, and they are in business to supply parts. I don't think you will get a break on the $$$ ordering direct from SMI. JMHO.

Stan&Jacquie 01-19-2013 10:36 AM

Air force One

I see a few of you use Air Force One from SMI for your toad's braking system.

Would you please comment on the quality of this product, ease of installation, your satisfaction, etc. I need to buy a system and am rather confused with all the different types.

SVTotem 01-19-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stant (Post 1435819)
I see a few of you use Air Force One from SMI for your toad's braking system.

Would you please comment on the quality of this product, ease of installation, your satisfaction, etc. I need to buy a system and am rather confused with all the different types.

Very happy with AFO. Just moved it from our Pilot to our jeep. Easy hook up and disconnect. Nothing heavy to lug around or store, just a coiled air line and light breakaway cable.

I had it professionally installed.

pagosajoe 01-19-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigman1 (Post 1411484)
X2

I'd retry them after Jan 2

X3! Excellent customer service. :thumb:

enjoyrv 01-19-2013 04:13 PM

Love it.

Deek 01-19-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVTotem (Post 1436028)
Very happy with AFO. Just moved it from our Pilot to our jeep. Easy hook up and disconnect. Nothing heavy to lug around or store, just a coiled air line and light breakaway cable.

I had it professionally installed.

X2 on system -- it's outstanding.

Would nonetheless agree with SVTotem -- have it professionally installed by an authorized SMI dealer. This is one place not to scrimp on -- especially as to toad installation -- more work is done there than on the coach. Too much riding on it to miss anything IMO.

Deek:dance:

Stan&Jacquie 01-27-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deek (Post 1436120)

X2 on system -- it's outstanding.

Would nonetheless agree with SVTotem -- have it professionally installed by an authorized SMI dealer. This is one place not to scrimp on -- especially as to toad installation -- more work is done there than on the coach. Too much riding on it to miss anything IMO.

Thank you everyone for your assistance. Am leaning towed AFO for my '07 Monaco Knight and '12 Chevy Equinox.

Stan

smlranger 01-30-2013 06:57 PM

Regarding the OP's question, why not just remove the AFO from the Cherokee and install it on the Rubicon. I've moved my AFO toad parts from a 2004 Explorer to a 2008 Explorer, then to a 2012 Honda CRV. When I got the CRV, I did notice the plastic box with all the controls had been partially deformed from engine heat. Called SMI and they offered to have me ship that old box to them, check the electronics and re-install them in a new metal box. I also bought a new 'install kit' for the toad. I believe the total cost was around $75.

SMI will sell you any parts you need.

CoreyinWP 01-30-2013 07:03 PM

Anyone have a range as to what it should cost to have the complete installation (coach and toad) done professionally?

Deek 01-30-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smlranger (Post 1448255)
Regarding the OP's question, why not just remove the AFO from the Cherokee and install it on the Rubicon. I've moved my AFO toad parts from a 2004 Explorer to a 2008 Explorer, then to a 2012 Honda CRV. When I got the CRV, I did notice the plastic box with all the controls had been partially deformed from engine heat. Called SMI and they offered to have me ship that old box to them, check the electronics and re-install them in a new metal box. I also bought a new 'install kit' for the toad. I believe the total cost was around $75.

SMI will sell you any parts you need.

This, IMO, is not just super service, but all the reason you need to have in order to know what supplemental brake system to invest in.

When they service us this way, they are truly listening to what we need ... and taking care of business. Excellent product, excellent service -- this is who to buy from in my thinking.