iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   Hooray! Electric Vehicle Road Tax Parity! (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/hooray-electric-vehicle-road-tax-parity-146797.html)

Francesca 12-29-2012 04:36 PM

Hooray! Electric Vehicle Road Tax Parity!

Just wondered how many folks are aware that here in Washington State beginning the first of January, the owners of all-electric vehicles will at long last be made to pay a share of road building/maintenance costs! :D:D:D

A hundred bucks a year, paid straight to the roads fund since EV owners don't kick in at the pump the way we mere mortals do. It's still only about half of what most of us pay, but it's a start for the pay-your-share-for-the-roads-we-all-use movement.

There's a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth going on among the poor beleagured folks that own them.... :sad:

But as for little old strictly-dinofueled me, I say....

:dance: It's ABOUT TIME!! :dance:

:flowers: :thumb: Thanks, Washington State Legislature! :thumb::flowers:

Belgian 12-29-2012 04:42 PM

I often wonder how much of the taxes we pay in fuel tax go to road repair and new roads. So many $s get used to do other things, most I don't have a clue about. If you have ever tried to read your own city budget you can go crazy. Very frustrating!

CampDaven 12-29-2012 04:45 PM

About time!
Purely a token amount. But once such a tax is established it surely does not go down.

Projection is for 1.2M electric cars in the US by 2015. That would only be $120M annually. Chump change!

May hit the hybrids too?

Francesca 12-29-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampDaven (Post 1413780)
About time!
Purely a token amount. But once such a tax is established it surely does not go down.

Projection is for 1.2M electric cars in the US by 2015. That would only be $120M annually. Chump change!

May hit the hybrids too?

Here's hopin'! :D

RickO 12-29-2012 04:57 PM

I'll be doing this :banghead: if that tax comes to Arizona. My golf cart is licensed for the road because I have to drive one block to get it on to the golf course and this would tip the scale too far toward unfair the other way IMHO.

Rick

CampDaven 12-29-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickO (Post 1413785)
I'll be doing this :banghead: if that tax comes to Arizona. My golf cart is licensed for the road because I have to drive one block to get it on to the golf course and this would tip the scale too far toward unfair the other way IMHO.

Rick

Agree. But 2 bucks a week can be divied down pretty far if ya go often.
But when they raise your "contribution".....

RickO 12-29-2012 05:12 PM

Yep... that's why I won't be organizing any protests.... just :banghead:

And I use that "one block" several times per day so the denominator is pretty large.

:D

Rick

Francesca 12-29-2012 05:19 PM

Good grief...who said anything about golf carts???

This is for registered road vehicles.

Or are there so many golf carts in Arizona that they're issuing plates and requiring liability ins. for them now??? ;)

wa8yxm 12-29-2012 05:42 PM

Some states do license Golf Cars for street use.. I Stress the word "SOME".. I do not know about Arizona but I've seen some very .. er.. Fancy Golf cars in AZ.. (Fancy means V-8 Engines, capable of high speed, and licenesed for road use, Dang near a "Baha Bug" type craft only bigger and faster)

Francesca 12-29-2012 08:05 PM

Does anyone mind if I just gloat over all the holyfolks' comeuppance, they who thought buying these heavily taxpayer-subsidized cars relieved them of any responsibility whatsoever so far as the necessary supportive infrastructure is concerned?

flaggship1 12-29-2012 08:12 PM

We're used to you - so go ahead. :D

KSCRUDE 12-29-2012 08:13 PM

Road tax is a lot higher on diesel. Trucks pay about 85% of the road tax in the USA. Hence trucks (own) the road.

Walter5555 12-29-2012 10:09 PM

Just another expense for Motor Homers.

:facepalm: We live in the Bay Area and theirs about 7 Bridges that are all around the area and it seem that no mater which direction you want to go in (except South) with our M.H. we have to cross a bridge and just because we toe a car and our M.H. has a tamdom axle in the back they charge $5.00 per axle.:banghead:
It cost us $25.00 when ever we cross a bridge in this area,:nonono:

Just a thought.:wavey:

SiberCamper 12-30-2012 12:43 AM

I just don't know what to say about this. People will dislike you for the most absurd reasons. We bought a LEAF last year at this time and we also have a big SUV for pulling the camper. I'll never understand people who are pissed about our electric car. I pay a poop load of taxes and we're as charitable as we can be. Our tags are based on value and weight of the vehicle and since its new we pay plenty.

But to be mad because I do all of my city driving in an electric car is just silly. Feel free to call me sanctimonious because I pay the premium for wind power, too.