iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   front end alignment??? (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/front-end-alignment-147932.html)

FLYING BUTCH 01-11-2013 07:17 AM

front end alignment???

04 Beaver Marquie wear on the inside left front tire. I was told, by truck tire dealer, this was pretty normal on these big rigs and would be a waste of money to try to have front end aligned. When I was at the shop getting two new front tires and another coach (different brand) was there and had same issues.
Any thoughts guys?

whem2fish 01-11-2013 07:42 AM

If you decide to get the front end looked at I would highly recommend Ray's champion spring just north of down town Fort Worth they do rvs and big trucks

D M 01-11-2013 07:49 AM

Hi Butch The alignment is one of the cheapest things that you can do for your Rig. You want to make those tires last as long as you can. If you see abnormal wear then something is going on. Possibly warn parts in the front end like ball joints, tie rod ends,the list goes on,or maybe the alignment settings are off, and it can even be the tires. The point I am trying to make is no one can step back and look at your tires and tell you your alignment is fine with out hooking it up to the alignment machine after getting the readings then they can say it is fine. Hope this helps.

mel s 01-11-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D M (Post 1427038)
Hi Butch The alignment is one of the cheapest things that you can do for your Rig. You want to make those tires last as long as you can. If you see abnormal wear then something is going on. Possibly warn parts in the front end like ball joints, tie rod ends,the list goes on,or maybe the alignment settings are off, and it can even be the tires. The point I am trying to make is no one can step back and look at your tires and tell you your alignment is fine with out hooking it up to the alignment machine after getting the readings then they can say it is fine. Hope this helps.

A GOOD alignment can improve both your tire wear and your handling.
As with most things, an alignment is a "crap shoot" and depends on the philosophy of the shop.
I they are concerned with accuracy of your alignment, having an alignment done is a good thing.
If they are only concerned with your $$$...NOT SO MUCH!
Unfortunately you have no idea WHAT you will get.

whem2fish 01-11-2013 08:41 AM

My bad Ray's I south of down town on 287

is.chowa 01-11-2013 12:06 PM

Don't know about your rig but on mine the front end parts had excessive play, plus the front airbag leaked all of which caused the steers to wear causing "feathering". Before replacing the fronts had the front end repaired. (replaced the airbags, drag link, tierod ends etc" and proper coil springs for the weight, the tires and a realignment. She handles now "real nice" so's that the YL can take ASLY for a spin.

Steve

Dennis_K 01-11-2013 05:04 PM

What the tire dealer told you about the tire wear may be true but the part about "waste of money to try to have front end aligned" is just stupid.
Have it aligned before the new tires go on. The last time I got new tires I waited a couple of years because I thought the alignment was okay. I ended up ruining the front tires in 12,000 miles. When I got my new 2012 I took it to the shop the first chance I had, it was out of alignment but not much.

CampDaven 01-11-2013 06:39 PM

Got my new rig and had alignment as soon as I had a travel load in it. Improved everything. Best $250 I ever spent on an RV.

Previous rig needed ball joints and tie rod ends before alignment.

YZF571 01-11-2013 09:26 PM

Have to agree with the others. I had issues, had my 34" Class A alligned and shimmed (front end place did itr because it needed it), any way all of the problems I had.....dare I say went the way of the doo doo bird!

FLYING BUTCH 01-12-2013 06:53 AM

tire wear

Thanks for advise guys, headed in to have it aligned.

bthomforde 01-13-2013 08:28 PM

Everyone talks about a front end alignment but what really matters is a front end AND and rear end alignment.
Front and rear must be in alignment or the tires will wear strange.

ClassCnewbie 01-13-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bthomforde (Post 1430113)
Everyone talks about a front end alignment but what really matters is a front end AND and rear end alignment.
Front and rear must be in alignment or the tires will wear strange.

Get it alined by a shop the cares about quality. Make sure the check and adjust camber, caster, and toe end. Some shops do what's known as a toe and go. Just to get your money. If the steering wheel isn't straight, when I go down the road, I take it back. Also, have it travel loaded when you take it in.