iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Tips on scootering.... (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/tips-on-scootering-148202.html)

vanbuskirk 01-13-2013 03:53 PM

Tips on scootering....

My DH and I just purchased a 125cc scooter today as well as a hitch for the back of the MH. We are planning to use the scooter for weekend /short trips to run errands, etc. This is all new to us....any tips would be apreciated. Are there any restrictions we should be aware of? Is a cover recommended while on the back of the MH?

wonderer1 01-13-2013 04:05 PM

my question to you is, have you and your husband ever had a street legal motorcycle before??? why i ask is riding two wheels is totally differently from driving a car. point one you have no protection. so you have to constantly scan everything around you to avoid accidents. you might be in the right but you'll end up being dead right. you need to dress for when not if you go down ( no shorts or sandals). if you say i won't get hit or go down you're out in dream land. fyi after i got hit the second time i quit riding the street. both times the cars came out of nowhere. 500 lbs never wins against 3000 lbs.

vanbuskirk 01-13-2013 04:26 PM

Actually this is our first "2 wheeled motorized" vehicle. We are not planning on taking it on any major highways...just to the store and local restaurants and attractions. And believe me we will be protective gear!

Theluckys 01-13-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanbuskirk (Post 1429809)
My DH and I just purchased a 125cc scooter today as well as a hitch for the back of the MH. Are there any restrictions we should be aware of?

In the State of Florida you need to have a motorcycle license when using a scooter greater than 50cc - make sure you check for state laws regarding this.

Dog Folks 01-13-2013 04:33 PM

Take a local motorcyle riding course. Almost everything you learn you can apply to a scooter.

Grimesy 01-13-2013 04:34 PM

Make sure your D.L. is endorsed for your new ride and an old mortorcycle comment those have gone down and those who will go down.

Don

dieselclacker 01-13-2013 06:30 PM

The small diameter wheels on your scooter do not deal well with pot holes, try to avoid them. Also use caution when crossing railroad tracks, and always cross in a perpendicular direction to the tracks. Use caution and be aware of your surroundings at all time. Have fun.

beaverfever 01-14-2013 03:32 PM

cover will help keep it clean but will wear the paint (gel coat ) off. not the best idea if you have a nice scooter.

jimmyjnr 01-14-2013 03:49 PM

A police pursuit rider gave me two pieces of advice
1 . assume every driver has failed to notice you and will try to knock you off
2. All the information you need to read the road ahead is posted on the roadside signage .

Good luck enjoy the new scooter and stay safe

CampDaven 01-14-2013 04:22 PM

I had a 1965 Triumph Bonneville. Loved it!

The third time I laid it down because a car pulled out, I sold it. Yeah, 3 and out for me.
Still love it.

PyrateSilly 01-14-2013 04:37 PM

x2 on taking a motorcycle riding course. I encourage anyone that is even remotely thinking about a bike to take the course. Most community college's offer one or go to a Harley dealer since I know they offer a course too.
I know in several states that if you pass the course that you do not have to take the tests and they will go ahead and give you the endorsement on your license. Even if you have riden for years I still encourge people to take the beginners course. I know lots of Harley riders that have ridden for yrs and wanted to take the advanced course and the college made them take the beginning one. They thought since they ride all the time that they already know everything but when they actually took the course found out that that some of the things there were doing were wrong and corrected themselves and found out about why they were doing some things right and the reasons for doing them.

cadguy 01-14-2013 06:37 PM

Remember with the scooter wheels being smaller in diameter than a normal motorcycle they are less forgiving on bumps and rocks/gravel. Turn slowly and avoid big leans until you get more practice. Driving school is a good thing.

rhks 01-14-2013 07:16 PM

Be very careful of loose sand, dirt.

Forest Grump 01-14-2013 07:18 PM

I've bought my first bike in the 70's and graduated to a big V-Twin in the 90's. three years ago we sold that and bought a 200cc scooter which we carry on the back of the motorhome. The scooter is actually more stable, easier to ride and more maneuverable that the big v-twin. The suspensions on a new scooter are wonderful and offer a very stable ride even with two up. Now for some good assumptions: assume the other driver never sees you so always be able to avoid the other driver, some curves are decreasing radius - oops you just lost control, there is a rock in the road - don't look at it- if you do you wll hit. Learn how to do emergency stops, practice on the street when you come up on a red light and no one else is around. You front brake does 90% of the braking. Lear which hand operates which brake. If you are too heavy on the rear brake the wheel will slide and come around. If you are too heavy on the front brake the bike can flip end over end. Learn what is and how to counter steer. Don't out drive your ability. Watch watch watch then look again. In car vs bike you will always loose big, no matter who was in the right!