iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Satellite connections for Scottsdale (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/satellite-connections-for-scottsdale-15338.html)

jeeprubi 10-04-2005 03:42 PM

I have some questions (maybe dumb questions) about connecting a satellite dish to our 2005 Scottsdale 3671. I hope that someone can help me.

We have 2 televisions and would like to have both of them connected, so I know that I need a dual LNB dish. The dish would be a free standing model, not one on top of the MH at this time. We also have a Winegard Video distribution switch located in the cabinet above the drivers seat along with the VCR/DVD player. We want to use Direct TV.

My Questions:
1. Where would the 2 cables come into the MH from the dish? What are the options for doing this?
2. Can one of the cables be plugged into the Cable TV receptor located in the back compartment where the shore power cable is?
3. On the Wingegard distribution switch, is a connection for 'SAT' that I know we an use for one of the cable, but can we use 'AUX' or 'Cable TV' for the other cable.

Could someone who has a Scottsdale and has done this setup, please share with me what you did.

Thanks in advance.
Ben

jeeprubi 10-04-2005 03:42 PM

I have some questions (maybe dumb questions) about connecting a satellite dish to our 2005 Scottsdale 3671. I hope that someone can help me.

We have 2 televisions and would like to have both of them connected, so I know that I need a dual LNB dish. The dish would be a free standing model, not one on top of the MH at this time. We also have a Winegard Video distribution switch located in the cabinet above the drivers seat along with the VCR/DVD player. We want to use Direct TV.

My Questions:
1. Where would the 2 cables come into the MH from the dish? What are the options for doing this?
2. Can one of the cables be plugged into the Cable TV receptor located in the back compartment where the shore power cable is?
3. On the Wingegard distribution switch, is a connection for 'SAT' that I know we an use for one of the cable, but can we use 'AUX' or 'Cable TV' for the other cable.

Could someone who has a Scottsdale and has done this setup, please share with me what you did.

Thanks in advance.
Ben

tmitchell 10-04-2005 05:02 PM

We have 2 sat. recs. in our front cabinet. One is connected to sat. and the other to aux. We bought an RF system from Radio Shack for around $40. This allows us to change the channels when in the bedroom.

Cruzer 10-05-2005 05:39 AM

If you want to view two different channels at the same time, then you will indeed need a dual LNB dish, as well as two receivers - one for each TV. If you only need to view your TVs on an "either-or" basis, a single LNB dish and receiver is fine.

Taking RF output off the back of the SATV receiver and running it through the distribution switch/selector is fine. If you have two receivers located up front you can use the AUX input to feed the rear TV. There is no quality difference in the switch between SATELIITE and AUX. It's just a labeling thing so you can use AUX for whatever you like.

You can use the CATV cable in the basement compartment but there are some drawbacks to it.

First, it's probably RG-59, which is a lighter gauge coax. RG-6 is recommended for SATV signal because it's heavier and doesn't have the signal loss that RG-59 does. However, it is a short run and many RVers do use it without any serious degradation of signal.

Second, CATV is an RF signal, just like off a VCR, DVD player, or bat wing antenna. These are routed into the Winegard selector switch so that your TVs can select them. The signal off the dish is microwave band and is not viewable on a TV until it goes through the SATV receiver. If you were to connect a dish to this basement compartment jack, you would then have to disconnect the other end from the selector and route it to the dish inputs on your SATV receiver. This is going to be a hassle. As long as you are going to run a second coax line for the second LNB anyway, I'd just run two new RG-6 lines for the dish inputs and leave the existing CATV line alone rather than have to fiddle with it at the switcher every time. That's what I did on my coach.

Actually, on my coach I use a DVR (Digital Video Recorder), which is basically a SATV receiver with a hard drive added to let TIVO record programs for me. The DVRs use dual inputs so that you can watch one channel while recording another. This means they need dual coax feeds and a dual LNB dish as well. I have mine set up to allow two DVRs - one in the front and one in the bedroom. This requires 4 coax lines - two for each DVR. I installed a 2x4 multi-switch on my coax lines and ran two outputs to the front DVR and the other two to the second DVR, located in the rear bedroom. If you are considering going with the TIVO setup (it's great) I'd put those ideas into your planning.

I have a Kingdome on the roof but I still have the two basement connections for a remote dish for when trees preclude the use of the roof dome. I installed two A/B switches by my Winegard switch so that I can select from either the dome or the remote dish.

Anyway, that's what I did. It's probably more than you need to do but it should give you some ideas.

jeeprubi 10-06-2005 07:14 AM

Cruzer and tmitchell, thank you very much for the info. It is exactly what I was looking for.

Ben

10-11-2005 05:02 AM

tmitchell
Tom do you mean that you have a single LNB but then split it at the cabinet above the drivers seat? There you have the two receivers that you have split the cable coming in giving you the option of watching two different programs on two tv's? I'm a little? confused.

Cruzer,
Where did you run all the coax for the runs to the bedroom? Where is the termination point for all the coax where it meets the receivers? I like your system layout, just trying to visualize how the cables where run down the coach and up to where the receivers are plus the cables for the outsude dish hook-up.

Derek

Cruzer 10-11-2005 05:30 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mindcandies:

Cruzer,
Where did you run all the coax for the runs to the bedroom? Where is the termination point for all the coax where it meets the receivers? I like your system layout, just trying to visualize how the cables where run down the coach and up to where the receivers are plus the cables for the outsude dish hook-up.

Derek </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I anticipated going this way before I bought the coach. When I ordered it I had Tiffin run a pair of RG-6 coax from the front overhead cabinet (by the SATV receiver) to the rear bedroom TV. They ran them through the roof so it was all in place for me when I picked up the coach. All I had to do was connect everything. If I had to run them myself I would go down through the cabinets and underneath the coach, then up the front but I knew that would be work so I asked them to do it and they did, at no extra charge. http://irv2.infopop.cc/groupee_commo.../icon_cool.gif

The extra two coax lines that I added for a portable dish I ran from the basement electrical supply cabinet. I basically mounted them next to the OEM cable TV jack, then fished the wire through the frame rails, then through the basement storage area, out to the front frame rails again, up through the floor to the dash area, then ran them up the corner windshield pillar behind the plastic trim to get to the upper cabinets. I then ran the OEM feeds from the KingDome to one side of a pair of A/B switches and connected the other side to mny new "remote dish" feeds. By flipping the switches I could then switch between wish dish I wanted to use. The outputs from these two A/B switches then went to the inputs of a 2x4 multiswitch. So, now I had 4 available "LNB" feeds to supply the receivers. Two of these went to the front DVR (TIVO - dual channel), while the other two connected to the coax pair that Tiffin was nice enough to install for me. I then connect the second DVR (located right under the bedroom TV) to them and feed component video and stereo audio out of the bedroom DVR up into the TV.

If we only bring one DVR along, then I just utilize the front DVR's "RF OUT" (which is connected to the WineGard selector switch) to feed it to the rear TV. I use a pair of pyramids to convert the infrared remote signals to RF so that I can control the front DVR while watching TV in bed.

Now, if I could only get a small nuclear reactor to power this stuff while boondocking, I'd be all set. http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/laugh.gif

tmitchell 10-11-2005 02:20 PM

Derek,
I have a dual LNB with 2 cables coming down from the satellite dome into the cabinet. Each cable is connected to a separate receiver. The receivers are stacked in the same cabinet as the surround sound and DVD players at the front above the passenger seat. The RF system allows us to change channels on the aux. sat. rec. while we are in the bedroom. Another plus is we can watch either rec. on the front or rear TV by switching between sat. and aux. at the control box.
See you guys at Bay Bayou.

timz61 10-14-2005 07:22 PM

We also have two sat receivers in our DS. The front unit is a Tivo receiver. I use a 3 X 4 Multswitch with two sat leads connected on the input side. Two of the output leads go to the Tivo, and one to a diplexer. I connected a short jumper from the winegard selector box to the 2nd diplexer input using the output to the second TV on the switch. This allows us to switch to antenna or park cable connection for the second TV. The out put side of the diplexer is connected to the coax (only one to the back TV) that goes to the rear TV. Back at the TV, I use another diplexer to separate the signal. The sat output and antenna output go to the back of the receiver. The receiver is connected to the TV with an S video cable and two regular stereo cables. This allows switching from antenna or cable to sat signal using the remote at the back of the bus.