iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   AC Failure - Capacitor (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/ac-failure-capacitor-15357.html)

JerryKelly 03-26-2007 03:34 AM

My #1 AC unit failed as we pulled into Pelican Lake on Saturday. Called Lew Farber - Master Tech Mobile RV Service and had it repaired by Sunday evening. The problem was a burned up capacitor. According to Lew, this is very common problem in high heat and humidity. We are not sure what caused the problem, but he reminded me that these things tend to happen at power switch over. Going forward, he suggested that we turn off the AC using the thermostat, then turn the thermostat off. When we have full power, then turn on the thermostat and then the AC. This should protect the units at power switch over. Although the #1 AC draws 17 amps, at start up, it may draw 2X the power which could cause the capacitor to burn up. The repair was completed in less than 15 minutes. Lew had the part, which will be added to my parts inventory as well. Thanks to Newmar's overhead ducting design, we were able to keep the entire MH cool by running the #1 fan and drawing cool air from theh #2 unit.

Lew is also repairing our damaged rock guard...had to cut it off using power saw. He will attempt to bend it back into shape and remount using stainless quick links. He did not suggest a stronger angle iron. Better to sacrifice the rock gaurd then drag the debris down the road.

JerryKelly 03-26-2007 03:34 AM

My #1 AC unit failed as we pulled into Pelican Lake on Saturday. Called Lew Farber - Master Tech Mobile RV Service and had it repaired by Sunday evening. The problem was a burned up capacitor. According to Lew, this is very common problem in high heat and humidity. We are not sure what caused the problem, but he reminded me that these things tend to happen at power switch over. Going forward, he suggested that we turn off the AC using the thermostat, then turn the thermostat off. When we have full power, then turn on the thermostat and then the AC. This should protect the units at power switch over. Although the #1 AC draws 17 amps, at start up, it may draw 2X the power which could cause the capacitor to burn up. The repair was completed in less than 15 minutes. Lew had the part, which will be added to my parts inventory as well. Thanks to Newmar's overhead ducting design, we were able to keep the entire MH cool by running the #1 fan and drawing cool air from theh #2 unit.

Lew is also repairing our damaged rock guard...had to cut it off using power saw. He will attempt to bend it back into shape and remount using stainless quick links. He did not suggest a stronger angle iron. Better to sacrifice the rock gaurd then drag the debris down the road.

footdoc 03-26-2007 03:38 AM

good info...thanks

Jetsmania 03-27-2007 04:11 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">he reminded me that these things tend to happen at power switch over. Going forward, he suggested that we turn off the AC using the thermostat, then turn the thermostat off. When we have full power, then turn on the thermostat and then the AC. This should protect the units at power switch over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Jerry! Great Tip. How long are you at Pelican Lake for? What site are you on. Paul

rebelsbeach 03-27-2007 04:39 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lew is also repairing our damaged rock guard...had to cut it off using power saw. He will attempt to bend it back into shape and remount using stainless quick links. He did not suggest a stronger angle iron. Better to sacrifice the rock gaurd then drag the debris down the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure whether you saw I had a successful "bend and remount" of my rock guard...
There's a little dimple in the lettering,but all in all it's fine...

I concur with the "sacrifice the guard" mentality...

JerryKelly 03-29-2007 06:27 PM

Bob, Lew did a pretty good job straightening the rock guard but the sales person at North Trail destroyed the angle iron and re-bent the SS cut out when she put my MH in the ditch near the entrance. Scott put a new angle iron on the rock guard and repaired the SS cutout. Read my other posting about how she put the MH in the ditch. The lot coordinator and I could not believe what she did. By he way, we removed the steel mounting bolts on the rock guard and replaced them with stainless steel shackles. If it get's damaged again, we should be able to remove it without having to saw off the chains.

Paul, I left Pelican Lake yesterday. We had a great stay but were attacked by ants on the last day. The ants must have come from the trees...they were all over the roof and side of the MH. It has taken us 2 days to get rid of them. Sorry we missed you.

Jetsmania 03-31-2007 05:54 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">attacked by ants on the last day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Jerry! Sorry we missed you. We hope to be back the week of 4/16/07 Let us know next time you pass thru. When we stayed at our site (4913 Coach Lane) for the month of Feb. the ants were not really around. We left all kinds of outdoor traps for ants out when we were there. We had the same problem you did when we were at Fort Wilderness. http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/sign0082.gif Since then we have traps everywhere. Thanks for the heads up. Need to go buy more traps. http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/smash.gif Paul

JerryKelly 03-31-2007 06:25 PM

The ants came back again....at night. We were at the Villages near Ocala Wednesday evening and discovered ants crawling on the kitchen counter and in the coffee pot. They were all over the exterior drivers side A pillar and windshield. At approximately 2:00 am, I was outside hosing the ants off the motorhome. We continued to have a few straglers until today.

We won't be back to Pelican Lake until next year.

Jetsmania 04-01-2007 05:19 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The ants came back again....at night </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Jerry! Sorry to say but, if you have the same problem that started at Disney, with us, you need to buy poison things. We went to Lowes (anywhere has them) and purchased the small round silver things (about 6 to the pack). The ants are supposed to go in them and get the poison out and take it back to wherever they hang out. We put about 8 of them through out the coach. Under sinks, in cabinets, closets, basement, etc. We had ants with us for about a week and a half. We have not seen another one since then. I hate to say it but, there are more that you can't see, then you can. http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/scared.gif We also sprayed around the jacks and plumbing areas with a ant killer spray. http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/smash.gif They also sell stuff you can leave around your tires when parked on grass. Good Luck!! Paul