iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Dirty windows...please help! (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/dirty-windows-please-help-15828.html)

carl1949 01-05-2007 03:43 AM

Last summer I cleaned the rubber roof on our fifth wheel. I used clorox along with soap. After it dried I had spots all over the windows. I have tried EVERYTHING and can't get them off. Windex, a solution of ammonia/water/baking powder, wax, black streak remover etc. The spots are still there. Do you think I have permanently spotted my glass? Your expert advice please!

carl1949 01-05-2007 03:43 AM

Last summer I cleaned the rubber roof on our fifth wheel. I used clorox along with soap. After it dried I had spots all over the windows. I have tried EVERYTHING and can't get them off. Windex, a solution of ammonia/water/baking powder, wax, black streak remover etc. The spots are still there. Do you think I have permanently spotted my glass? Your expert advice please!

RustyJC 01-05-2007 04:45 AM

I don't know if your glass is permanently etched or not. If the spots are from the dried clorox/soap solution you used to clean the roof, you might recall from chemistry class that many times the best solvent for a solution is the solution itself. In other words, try some clorox/soap solution on the windows and see if the spots come off. Rinse well, of course, or you'll have more spots when it dries.

Rusty

carl1949 01-05-2007 04:49 AM

Thanks Rusty, I will try that.

woodburner 01-05-2007 12:42 PM

try using Protect-All....cleans and protects everything and make the windows shine with no spots.

Ray,IN 01-06-2007 04:15 AM

Rusty's solution should work, but if it doesn't try RainX. Don't wipe it on like you're removing water though. RainX takes plenty of elbow-grease to apply correctly(follow directions). Rub firmly until it stops beading up, and forms a dull sheen. Allow to dry, then buff with a dry Cotton cloth to remove all the sheen.

N8XV 01-06-2007 04:17 AM

If all fails, try using very fine steel wool. Be very careful around the edge of the glass at the trim as it will scratch and dull the trim.

xc-mark 01-06-2007 04:28 PM

glass polish or very fine polishing compound used for auto paint

Hoverbug 01-07-2007 10:57 AM

Carl I would agree with Mark. A product I have used with great sucess is 'CookTop' by Wieman (www.wieman.com) Available at Sears,Walmart ect. It does'nt scratch and has removed soils and water spots nothing else I tried has. Happy Trails!!

xc-mark 01-07-2007 05:00 PM

one more thing all you should be useing on your rubber roof is mild soap and water.... Did you have a moss / mold problem? if you do you could park it in the sun to stop this problem.

Hoverbug 01-09-2007 10:15 AM

Oops! I misspelled the link to Cooktop above. It should be www.weiman.com

TJones 01-23-2007 07:10 AM

Along with the other suggestions you can try detailers clay. It comes in several grits/grades. Use the finest you can get. The clay can be found on line at Meguiar's or in an auto parts store.

Tony