iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Black Ant issue (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/black-ant-issue-161986.html)

gatekeeper 05-21-2013 09:08 AM

Black Ant issue

Having a Black. Ant infestation in the water heater. I know the propane use is the the attraction. What I don't know is how to keep them out. I've used black pepper, which has slowed them down. Any other suggestions?

Sagamore 05-21-2013 09:15 AM

I would try an ant bait station, if you can't find the source. Lay it near the travel area and they will find it.

gatekeeper 05-21-2013 09:26 AM

Trying that now. Is there any product or device for the water heater itself? I have the mud dobber screen, not small enough screen.

Sagamore 05-21-2013 09:37 AM

I wouldn't know of any. But someone will on this forum for sure

gatekeeper 05-21-2013 09:51 AM

Thanks, my RV dealer suggested a flea collar. Not sure about that in the water heater door and the heat generated.

burfurd 05-21-2013 10:01 AM

Try sprinkling some Comet in the water heater area. If you can find the path they are traveling up to the heater, you can sprinkle it around the tire, jack, ac cable, or water hose. :thumb:

burfurd

pitbull 05-21-2013 12:34 PM

Ant Problem

We have used ant bait traps in past---but---have not had a problem ever since I make it a habit of spraying tires--hoses--electrical cables or steps with Home Defence every 2 weeks. This has also got rid of red ants on our outdoor mats. I spray whenever we move to a new location.

Just be aware if you have pets

Pitbull

GreatWhite 05-24-2013 09:53 AM

I've heard of mini spiders being attracted to the smell of propane and building fine webs that cause the gas to burn to lean (yellow flame). Never ants.. but, I've not heard of everything... yet in my short life :)

That said.. If I have a problem with ants, I make a small tray out of alum foil and dump in a mix of honey and borax (boraxo) The honey attracts them and they bring the mix back to the nest.. feet the babies.. and within a day, two at the most.. they magically disappear.

PyrateSilly 05-24-2013 11:01 AM

Try Terro. You can find it at stores like Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, etc. Not expensive but they eat it and take it back to the nest to feed the others and very soon you have no more. We keep some on hand always. You never know when you might have ants at the next site.

Tugboat 05-24-2013 11:35 AM

Put a flea collor just inside the heator door keeps out spiders. Do not use Conet because when it gets damp it will corode the metal. A bug spray and bait station will work as the ants take it back to the nest and kill them. To Keep ants from getting in put Cinnamon around all points that touch the ground including water,power and sewer lines. I buy it at the dollor store and put it down were ever i camp. Were i keep the trailer i also put a ant guard granules on the ground.

here is a link for som info:Video: How Does Cinnamon Repel Ants? | eHow

Can't say that this works but it can't hurt. The wood blocking that i use when camping is Ceder and I soak it in a Cinnamon and water for about a week and let it dry.

Airstreamer6 05-27-2013 08:03 AM

For the water heater and refrigerator I use cut-up flea collars and, when in storage, moth balls in a container with holes in it.

I don't know if they work, but so far no problems with insects...except... wasps in the refrigerator compartment. For them, I've started blocking-up the vent holes in the back access panel when in storage.

Frank P. Martin 05-27-2013 09:42 AM

Make a trip to the local drug store and ask the druggist for boric acid. Then dust the areas where you're seeing ants travel. You won't see immediate results but the ants track through it, ingest it, then pass it to other ants and eventually die.

Whenever I see ants in the RV, I usually find them coming in from places like the electric line or anyplace else where the RV touches the ground. Even tree branches touching your roof or sides can bring ants into your rig. I once even discovered ants getting in from climbing up weeds that were growing underneath the RV and touching the undercarriage.

If I do find ants on the electric line or other hose/cable, for immediate relief, I wrap a portion of it using duct tape with the sticky side out, then use a piece duct tape at each end to hold it in place. This works best for the large ants- like carpenter ants. Then I dust the cable/hose as best as I can with the boric acid. Usually, I have to replace the duct tape every day or so because dust and debris blowing around outside sticks to the tape, thus reducing its effectiveness.

Use damp paper towels to wipe up and remove the boric acid when protection is no longer needed.

While boric acid is generally safe around humans (it's sometimes used as an eye wash solution), I can't vouch for it's safety around pets or wildlife. You don't want to put down boric acid any place where they could walk in it or lick it off.

To prevent critters (like spiders) from making a home in to your HWH compartment, our dealer recommended tossing a few moth balls in the bottom of the compartment and replenish as needed.

Some posters have suggested using Boraxo and Terro, which works because it contains boric acid as one of its ingredients.