iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Travel Trailer Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Bathroom door not staying shut (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/bathroom-door-not-staying-shut-174833.html)

ehstrojette 09-01-2013 02:26 PM

Bathroom door not staying shut

We have had a problem this weekend while camping which is driving us nuts. The Camper is as leveled as we can get it and with 3 kids running around it never stays perfectly leveled so I know it has to do with it not being 100 percent leveled but..

The door keeps popping open and we are having to use a towel end which is handing on the bathroom door to keep it closed. I don't want to drill into the door to ass some kind of latch system but what do you do when this happens?

Ramblin 09-01-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehstrojette (Post 1709666)
We have had a problem this weekend while camping which is driving us nuts. The Camper is as leveled as we can get it and with 3 kids running around it never stays perfectly leveled so I know it has to do with it not being 100 percent leveled but..

The door keeps popping open and we are having to use a towel end which is handing on the bathroom door to keep it closed. I don't want to drill into the door to ass some kind of latch system but what do you do when this happens?

I would tilt my coach slightly in the direction necessary to keep the door from swinging open.

Clark Savage Jr 09-01-2013 02:44 PM

Agree. We level our coach using a level on the kitchen counter - but the final test is whether the bathroom door and the fridge doors stay where they are put.

Or - when assigning "time out" to the ankle biters, keep one of them on doorstop duty. :)

jesilvas 09-01-2013 02:48 PM

I would actually fix the door latch and catch as opposed to just leaning one way to mask the issue.

Ramblin 09-01-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesilvas (Post 1709704)
I would actually fix the door latch and catch as opposed to just leaning one way to mask the issue.

I did not detect any sort of problem with the latch and catch in the OP's post, though on second reading it can certainly be inferred. In that case, I agree; fix the catch.

But still, if doors aren't staying where I leave them, some leveling adjustment is required.

fletch460 09-01-2013 03:22 PM

Striker plate is off a tad. Take two screws out and move down or up as required. make two new holes for screws. Just had to do. Plate was not recessed so no problem.

slick60 09-01-2013 04:07 PM

It is not the striker plate or the latch. The door is not hung properly. :thumb:

slick60 09-01-2013 04:09 PM

Also, if the door frame is not vertically correct the door will swing open. In an RV this is very likely.

jesilvas 09-01-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick60 (Post 1709801)
It is not the striker plate or the latch. The door is not hung properly. :thumb:

I've had plenty where I just adjuster the catch plate and it worked. :thumb:

ChileRick 09-01-2013 05:58 PM

We have had this problem. It was a leveling problem for us. We leveled the coach to a perfect level ( where we put the bubble leveler) but that doesn't mean it's level by the bathroom door. As a previous poster mentioned we test it by ensuring the bathroom door when opened stays put. When we do that, the latch catches.

AFChap 09-01-2013 06:09 PM

Our coach had the same problem when new ...door would swing open when driving. Dealer removed striker plate and added washers around the screws behind the plate. It still works flawlessly 10 years and 80k miles later.

ehstrojette 09-02-2013 09:13 PM

I will try the washer trick the next time we are out. with kids it seems like whenever we think we are level it goes unlevel after thy are jumping around and such