iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Coachmen UFO (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/coachmen-ufo-17967.html)

neverno 08-23-2007 06:28 PM

thanks for GB link. I'm really interested in this UFO thing. I was surprised to see 228 inch wheelbase under a 37+ house? Can that be rite?

Bagman57 08-24-2007 01:15 AM

This is a total dissapointment for me! 228" wheel base on a 37'4" class A is absolutely riciculous! My 2004 Allegro Bay is also 37'4" long and it sits on a 246" wheel base. This is just another example of Coachman industries getting cheap on the size of the chassis. So far no "UFO" offering from any RV manufacturer has impressed me.

edgray 08-29-2007 08:23 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is a total dissapointment for me! 228" wheel base on a 37'4" class A is absolutely riciculous! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Chuck! I agree, at first glance, the WB seems way too short. Then I realized this is a traditional pusher style floor plan with the entry door out in front of the tires. So, I wondered if the WB is typically "shorter" on pushers because the WB does not need to span the entry door width.

While the info below is certainly not claimed to be all-inclusive, a brief check of other manufacturer websites for WB info yielded the following:

Monaco Roadmaster DP chassis under two 34 footers has a 192" WB, two 36 footers have 216" WB, and the two 38 foot floor plans Monaco has for the gas UFO, namely LaPalma 38PLT and 38SDD, use the Workhorse 242" WB.

Newmar "Ventana" RDP uses Spartan chassis 190" WB under two 33'-10" long coaches, and the two 36'-9" long Kountry Star RDP floor plans costing over $225,000.00 use a Spartan 228" WB chassis.

I'm not trying to defend Coachmen/Georgie Boy for using the WB they chose. However, I'll bet there was some careful consideration and engineering calculations used to determine the WB choice. They have their choice of WB when ordering the UFO, which is available in 208", 228", 242" and 262" WB standard. JMO, but I don't think there is a huge difference in the price they pay for a chassis simply due to length of WB, since the "expensive" components are outside the WB measurments.

Like you, I continue to watch for additional coach choices on the UFO http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/love.gif. The second Lapalma and the GB are welcome additions. http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/luxhello.gif ED

Bagman57 08-29-2007 02:53 PM

Hi Ed, I appreciate your contribution to this thread. The 39'6" Georgetown "UFO" has the 262" wheel base Workhorse chassis. But with respect to the Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3740, I would have liked to see at least the 242" "UFO" version. Unless someone comes out with a "UFO" I really like, I will probably either get an Allegro Bay "FRED" 35TSB or 37QDP and both are built on a 254" wheel base Freightliner chassis. The 35TSB is 35'1" long and the 37QDP is 37'8" long. Both have excellent wb to L ratios. Looking at the HR and La Palma 38PLT "UFO", they have two seats and a table in the back bedroom. What is that all about? A full wall closet wardrobe should be in place of the chairs. I only go to the bedroom for two reasons and one is to sleep. I'm certainly not going to sit back there in a chair and play cards with my wife. Other than that Monaco mistake, I like the rest of the PLT floor plan. Chuck.

Easyrider 08-29-2007 04:17 PM

Yep, I'm with you Chuck! With the limited space in RVs I can't see the sense in having chairs and a table in the bedroom instead of closet space! But some people must like it or they wouldn't be making them that way.

Bagman57 08-29-2007 05:01 PM

Hey Steve, maybe so or maybe not! I know a ton of guys that own class A's and they pretty much feel the same as I do, that more storage space for our wives clothes is more important than two chairs and a table. Also, Tiffin had a very similar floor plan on their 38' Allegro Bay (gas) in 2006 & 2007, but that floor plan has been discontinued for 2008 for lack of sales. My guess is the person that came up with this floor plan with the table & chairs is probably not an RV'er.

DriVer 08-29-2007 05:03 PM

http://www.georgieboy.com/images/cruisemaster-home.jpg
2008 GBM UFO Cruise Master

It sure is a nice looking rig and MikeT visited the plant when he was up in Middlebury, IN. He said the interior was very nicely done and I know Mike's opinion is based on his many visits that he has made in his most recent trip to "RV Alley" in Indiana.

Regardless of the WB on paper a test drive is in order to rule out if perception and reality do coincide. http://irv2.infopop.cc/groupee_commo...on_biggrin.gif

DriVer 08-29-2007 05:06 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikeT:
As far as the SSC, one manufacturer uses ONLY the SSC chassis --- also at one of the factory tours -- we took five tours, and I forgot who used the SSC.

If I had a choice, Georgie Boy is the UFO for me. Nice paint, good construction, nice interior. Full wall slide driver side, front door entry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I know that Coachmen does use the SSC Chassis option in the product lineup. I saw one at the SuperShow in Tampa in 2007. Just not sure if their entire lineup is exclusive to the SSC package.

Bagman57 08-29-2007 05:08 PM

Driver, if you read my earlier posts that pertain to the the 2008 Georgie Boy 3740, I spoke how attractive I thought it is! No question about it. I just want more wb! Chuck.

edgray 08-29-2007 05:47 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Allegro Bay "FRED" 35TSB or 37QDP and both are built on a 254" wheel base Freightliner chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
CHUCK: Your statement above is correct. "ONE" of the things that has me confused is that Tiffin builds their 37DB floorplan (which we really like) on a 246" WB chassis. So, I don't even pretend to understand how these OEMs decide which WB is best for what floorplan. Why 254" for the 35TSB & only 246" for one of the two 37 footers? I'm sure some engineer knows, but not me.

FWIW, the FCCC website specs for the FRED does not list a 254" WB, only 228,242,246,250,252,& 260, so I wonder if Tiffin modifies one of the above, to give them the 254" advertised for the 35TSB & 37QDB.

Also FWIW, I agree the Tiffin coaches are among the prettiest and best built out there for the price, and factory support directly to the owner is legendary. I've been there and seen it with my own eyes. ED

Bagman57 08-30-2007 12:56 AM

Ed, they do stretch these chassis from the various suppliers like Ford (Detroit Chassic LLC), Workhorse, and Freightliner. You don't know how much I wish Bob Tiffin would start building on the "UFO"! For me, it would be a no brainer. Problem is, Tiffin is running at full capacity and at the same time selling "FREDS" on either the Allegro or Allegro Bay like hotcakes. I don't think there is any motivation there. But getting back to the wheel base issue, when I purchased our 2004 Allegro Bay 37DB with the 246" wb, there was a new Pace Arrow in the dealer's lot that was 37'10" long if my memory serves me well. And this PA had a wb of 228". The overhang on that PA was unbelievable. In my mind, it just didn't make any sense to buy a class A that was set up like that. And the funny thing is, Fleetwood could have ordered a stock 242" wb Workhorse W-22 chassis, instead of the stock 228" edition. I remember well back in 2003 that Newmar's 37' Kountry Star #KSCA3651 and the 37' Mountain Aire both came on a 242" W-22 chassis. I just think sometimes motor home manufacturers order the shorter wb chassis as a means of cutting production cost. Therefore, if I can't get the "UFO" I want, I'll just get the next best thing and get the "FRED", but I do feel that the "UFO" when comparing apples to apples, is the better choice! Chuck.