iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Alpine Coach Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   shocks, tires and other observations (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/shocks-tires-and-other-observations-18238.html)

Beagle RC Air 08-08-2007 03:44 PM

Today finally got around to pulling the front wheels off of our MH. About 63,000 miles and the shocks seemed to be kind of sloppy. They turned out to be really bad and I am sure the new Koni's will make a big difference. Paid $135. each with free shipping. The brake pads measured about 5/8" thick and they look like they will be good for a long time. I have concerns about the front brake hydraulic hoses, they look really wimpy and don't seem to be supported very well. I borrowed a Makita 3/4" electric impact wrench and it did the job removing the wheels and shock bolts. The Toyo tires are orginal I believe, they look to have 60% tread remaining. No check, cuts or wear patterns. I am off to Les Schwab's tomorrow to have a nephew who is manager there to confirm my evaluation of the tires. Next, lube the front suspension and steering gear and on to the rear axle next week. Will finish up by measuring the ride height when all this pm is completed.

Beagle RC Air 08-08-2007 03:44 PM

Today finally got around to pulling the front wheels off of our MH. About 63,000 miles and the shocks seemed to be kind of sloppy. They turned out to be really bad and I am sure the new Koni's will make a big difference. Paid $135. each with free shipping. The brake pads measured about 5/8" thick and they look like they will be good for a long time. I have concerns about the front brake hydraulic hoses, they look really wimpy and don't seem to be supported very well. I borrowed a Makita 3/4" electric impact wrench and it did the job removing the wheels and shock bolts. The Toyo tires are orginal I believe, they look to have 60% tread remaining. No check, cuts or wear patterns. I am off to Les Schwab's tomorrow to have a nephew who is manager there to confirm my evaluation of the tires. Next, lube the front suspension and steering gear and on to the rear axle next week. Will finish up by measuring the ride height when all this pm is completed.

rmmpe 08-09-2007 12:52 AM

Regarding the Brake hoses:
I'd urge caution when thinking about adding support. They must remain flexible throughout the limits of the suspension's travel. Adding support could be a set-up for catastrophic failure.

Regarding the Tires:
Appearance is only part of the story. To get a more precise feel of their suitability for continued use, I suggest you find an inexpensive Durometer having the Shore A scale (your tire dealer may have one). Check the reading of a new tire and compare it against the readings you get from your tires. Especially the sidewalls. Rubber/Synthetic Elastomer is funny stuff and often loses resiliency over time. A tire may look great but have been damaged by prolonged exposure to UV and weather. You may see some difference in the readings you get from the inside and outside sidewalls of a tire. The tread is also important because as rubber ages over time alone, a tire's ability to sustain traction in the wet may be compromised.

A simple example of this is an old pencil eraser, which, as you've probably noticed, has become harder. It doesn't work as well as a new eraser, does it?