iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Kansas wants to take over COE parks (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/kansas-wants-to-take-over-coe-parks-182624.html)

richvkansas 11-06-2013 08:00 PM

Kansas wants to take over COE parks

There was an item in the KC Star last week that Kansas wants to take over the COE camping areas. Reducing costs is cited as the reason saying there are duplications where there is a state park on one side and a COE at the same lake. The regional COE office was not real warm on the proposal so the governor has asked for the issue to be moved "up". And what would change? Now, at Melvern Lake for example, COE full hook up, $20 (full price). At Eisenhower State park across the lake: daily vehicle fee $5 (that's $10 for MH and towed), camping fee $8, prime site (no idea) $2, electric add $7.50, W/E, 9.50, W/E/S 10.50 and a transaction fee $3.00 (a thanks for letting us take your money). So state fees with full hookups, $31.50 non-prime site (186 elect, 81 W/E, 36 W/E/S).

To be fair, we have stayed at KS state parks and they are not bad but not as nice as COE. For residents, there are annual camping permits and vehicle permits which are much cheaper than daily for someone who camps at state parks a lot. Casual and out-of-state campers are not so lucky. Maybe it's when the KDWPT staff looks and sees the COE across the lake booked and think maybe they want a piece of that action.
[ moderator edit ]

Doggy Daddy 11-06-2013 10:16 PM

Sounds like the state wants to eliminate the competition so it can jack up the rates.

JMonroe 11-07-2013 08:50 AM

I'd be curious as to how they feel taking over the federal park would be more efficient (or less expensive) for the state. I suspect Doggy Daddy is on to something. Eliminate the competition, and/or take over a much nicer facility with greater revenue potential.

KSCRUDE 11-07-2013 09:06 AM

Hope this takeover never happens. A lot of Kansas lakes have both parks. We always stay at the COE parks. At the state parks every vehicle has to have a pass and they alway seemed higher priced time you paid everything. They want you to buy a pass just to drive in and visit someone staying there. Not that way at the COE parks.:thumb:

missourijan 11-07-2013 04:36 PM

Doggy Daddy surely is right. We park host in CA where they charge $40 for dry camping. It's right on the ocean so it's a beautiful view. $40 is on the low side of CA state parks, many have higher prices. "reducing costs", HA! Many state parks are jacking up their prices, they used to be a good value, not so much now.

John How 11-09-2013 09:07 AM

We just stayed several nights at an Oregon state park. Harris a beach state park in Brookings. Actually we stayed in several on our trip. They all seem to be very well kept and most offer sites with full hookups. In November of course it is easy to get a site so we had our pick. The last one we stayed at in Brookings, was $21.00 per day with full hookups plus $1 for cable TV. I don't know how they do it but I sure wish more states including my own, California, would take a lesson.