iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   Battery fun 2013 Red 38 QRA (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/battery-fun-2013-red-38-qra-183623.html)

mymyst 11-16-2013 05:54 PM

Battery fun 2013 Red 38 QRA

2013 Allegro Red 38QRA battery problem; main disconnects off at both start and house battery banks. Motorhome stored inside for 2 months, went to fire bus up today and house bank was depleted, showing 6.2 volts on the main voltage monitor and house lights would not turn on. I believed the disconnect to do just that; disconnect the bank from any external source drain. What have I done wrong? Main start bank seemed fine.

Are the house batteries now toast? I would like to understand what happened and what I did wrong......

Ed_G 11-22-2013 10:41 AM

It is my view and past work experience that any time you seriously deplete a battery such as has been done in your case, you have permanently lost some, if not most, of the capacity of that battery and it cannot be recovered. That is the usual case.

However, also in my past experience, I have had this happen on relatively new AGM batteries and after I had fully recharged those batteries and done a battery capacity test with sophisticated equipment at my disposal, I found I still had the factory specified capacity. I do not know if AGM batteries are more robust than your wet cell type SLA batteries are but I would suggest you simply recharge them fully and hope for the best. If serious loss of capacity occurs then new ones will need be purchased.

Meanwhile, I can't offer any suggestions why your batteries became depleted in the first place. If it were me, I'd first make sure the batteries were properly maintained and exteriors clean....with appropriate water levels in the cells.... and then I'd be looking for any wiring connected prior to the cutoff switch that could draw current from the batteries.

Good luck on resolving this.

wa8yxm 11-22-2013 02:14 PM

Are the main house batteries toast?

Depends. IF they are Golf Car (GC-2 Six volt pairs in series) they may well recover, at least a significant portion of their capacity, if properly recharged.

If they are Marine/Deep cycle.. Again they MIGHT recover, but the odds are way lower.

Recommendation: Charge them up and test 'em.

RED2010 12-03-2013 12:09 AM

Check to make sure your inverter was turned off. Neither the 12 volt switch by the front door nor the switch in the battery compartment, disconnect the inverter and it continues to draw power. Even turned off, there is still some minor draw from the batteries. Best way for long-term storage is to remove the negative battery terminal if no shore power for charging is available.

McRvnut 12-07-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RED2010 (Post 1830345)
Check to make sure your inverter was turned off. Neither the 12 volt switch by the front door nor the switch in the battery compartment, disconnect the inverter and it continues to draw power. Even turned off, there is still some minor draw from the batteries. Best way for long-term storage is to remove the negative battery terminal if no shore power for charging is available.

yes this is the correct answer.Tiffin really should have put a shut off switch inline that cuts all 12V power to the inverter for storage,.I have a 08 bus with the same system and batterys will go dead if left in storage without removing the neg house batt post connection.bad management on tiffins part
however in regards to op Just because your new house batteys ran dead does not hurt them at all.

mymyst 12-18-2013 06:54 PM

Update to battery fun and frolic

Ok, time to update status. Coach batteries were definitely dead, murdered by me. Once I got to checking things out, I found I left both input and output breakers to the inverter on. Apparently drained from this and the lp/co2 detectors, all even with disconnect switch rotated off.

Checked with local CW location as they have done some ok work for me in the past and they are close. They quoted me (4) new Excide GC135 6v installed for the super-duper, good Sam member price on "only $750 installed including tax. Hmmmm.... I thought.....

I booked an appointment for the next day as they could get me right in and I was getting desperate and short on time.

Slept on it over night and couldn't get away from that $750 price tag. Got up the next morning and called a local Trojan dealer that I have used to buy big boat batteries from over the years. Quoted $535 for (4) Trojan t105's, in stock, and they could swap them out for me if I could pop in before lunch.

Needless to say, I jumped on the Trojans post haste. Feel like I dodged a bullet on this one. New batts in and hot, happy coach, happy campers.....but really; over $200 price difference from an installed Trojan to an Excide? "Best price"' deep good Sam discount, etc, etc,,....shame, shame, shame!!