iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Alpine Coach Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Electric Toilet Seal (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/electric-toilet-seal-189643.html)

Koop 01-14-2014 06:17 PM

Electric Toilet Seal

Our new (to us) 2003 40MDTS is equipped with a electrically operated toilet. It's a large porcelain toilet, much like a residential toilet. The seal leaks and the toilet doesn't hold water. I need to find a new seal. I've looked all over the toilet and cannot find a manufacturer or model number anywhere on it.

Does anyone know who Western RV used as a supplier for electric toilets in 2003?

chawkins99 01-14-2014 06:26 PM

A picture would help.

Koop 01-14-2014 06:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here it is (pics from from my Samsung galaxy S4)

Old Scout 01-14-2014 06:52 PM

Not to challenge you on the obvious but are you sure its electric? I am asking this because, to my knowledge, WRV never put "electric" toilets in as std equip--it must be after market????? Normally, electic toilets are incorporated with a mancerator to pump "stuff" forward or aft from a remote toilet to the holding tank?????

Old Scout 01-14-2014 06:56 PM

My bad--it sure looks "electric" I am sure another owner will correct me if I am wrong but again, dont think it is OEM. However, owners dont often invite other owners into check out their "throne rooms"--just saying.....

Dr4Film 01-14-2014 07:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
That is an Aria II Thetford toilet.

Unfortunately, they are a POS and the best use of them if you have a boat is for a boat anchor.

But to answer your question, you need to purchase the combination seal and motor, part number 19613.

Thetford Aria RV Toilet Mechanism Part 19613 | eBay

I have attached the instructions to accomplish that task.

Once you do that a few times over the next few years you will most likely get tired of it and then it WILL become a Boat Anchor for you or someone.

If it were me, I would take the $150+ money and put it towards the purchase of a toilet that really works. My suggestion is the Sealand Concerto toilet which is a full ceramic electric toilet that won't sound like a thrashing machine each time you push the button to flush it like the Aira II does.

Also, what is interesting is that the toilet is Bone color but the seat is white. Looks like someones after thought.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Dr4Film 01-14-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Scout (Post 1884545)

Normally, electric toilets are incorporated with a macerator to pump "stuff" forward or aft from a remote toilet to the holding tank?????

You are partially correct. It only needs to be a macerator toilet if it is mounted in the rear of the coach so the crap can flow 15-20 feet into the black tank usually mounted mid-ship someplace.

The Aria II is not a macerator toilet and normally sits directly over the black tank.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Koop 01-14-2014 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info Dr4Film. That's what I needed to know.

Old Scout 01-14-2014 07:22 PM

WOW--now I have to ask---exactly what does an "electric" toilet do for you [the macerator/remote pumping issues not with standing]??????

Algoma 01-14-2014 07:38 PM

Western did not fit these as standard. An owner installed it and replaced the seat at some time with the wrong color.
I have an Aria II in my coach and it works fine. You need to go to the Thetford site and download the manual for it. You don't need a new seal you just need to clean it. Press both buttons twice and the slide will stay open to allow you to clean it with a round toilet brush. You may have to do this several times if it has not been cleaned for a while. Push the flush button and it will close. We have one because my wife is paraplegic and cannot operate those stupid foot pedals.

Koop 01-14-2014 08:09 PM

Thanks Algoma, but I don't think cleaning will help. The seal is deformed, presumably from having paper caught in the valve. I need a new seal.

EngineerMike 01-14-2014 10:20 PM

I can't think why electric flush would be good. Now a heated seat- there's a brilliant idea. I checked with AquaHot & I'm ordering their hydronically heated seat & the replacement motherboard with the throne "zone" (in addition to the standard heat zones).

Refuse1 01-15-2014 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EngineerMike (Post 1884804)
I can't think why electric flush would be good. Now a heated seat- there's a brilliant idea. I checked with AquaHot & I'm ordering their hydronically heated seat & the replacement motherboard with the throne "zone" (in addition to the standard heat zones).

Mike,

Make sure to order the RF wireless remote. Also, if you add a dash "H" after the part number, the remote will be heated too. All my remotes are heated and it sure is nice on a cold winter morning !

Jeff

tom chelbana 01-15-2014 11:21 AM

We don't have a Alpine but our 04 Essex has a AriaII toilet and we have had it since new. Some people have had a lot of problems with theirs but we have not. I would recommend using a small screw driver and clean the area were the blade slide under the seal to get paper out of that area. If you hold both buttons down the slide will open and stay open to work on slide seal. Spray a little WD-40 around seal area when cleaned and maybe once a month. Have spend over 1200 days with toilet in our coach. Tom