iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/)
-   -   Journey Power Steering Reservoir Vent (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/journey-power-steering-reservoir-vent-19026.html)

Sammie 03-12-2007 05:58 PM

I just returned from my break in trip of 950 miles to Prescott Arizona. No major problems except one. While accending a pretty steep winding grade my powering steering reservoir cap sprayed a fine mist of fluid out of the vent on top of the cap. This in turn had covered my toad with a spray of fluid and dirt. I think the reservoir may have been overfilled so I removed some fluid down to the minimum level and had no more problems the rest of the trip. Has anyone else ever have this happen. Also I am assuming the fluid level should be checked when the engine is running.

Sammie 03-12-2007 05:58 PM

I just returned from my break in trip of 950 miles to Prescott Arizona. No major problems except one. While accending a pretty steep winding grade my powering steering reservoir cap sprayed a fine mist of fluid out of the vent on top of the cap. This in turn had covered my toad with a spray of fluid and dirt. I think the reservoir may have been overfilled so I removed some fluid down to the minimum level and had no more problems the rest of the trip. Has anyone else ever have this happen. Also I am assuming the fluid level should be checked when the engine is running.

Sammie 03-14-2007 02:20 PM

Does anyone think that this may have been caused by the reservoir being overfilled?

smlranger 03-14-2007 03:09 PM

Sammie:

Sorry you haven't gotten a response. I will copy this post to the Freightliner forum to see if that gets some responses.

I looked at my power steering reservoir today while the engine was running and, sure nuff, you can see the fluid churning in the reservoir. I would think if it was overfilled, it could certainly splash out of that vent.

Sammie 03-14-2007 03:55 PM

Thank you smlranger. I didn't even think of posting on the freightliner forum.

bdpreece 03-15-2007 07:25 PM

Sammie, my initial thoughts are the oil film on the toad is not from the power steering. I am not familiar with the Winnebago but assume if it is a C7 on a Freightliner you have a rear radiator coach. If so you basically have two problems. The first thing is you need to have the oil dipstick calibrated as most C7's come with too much oil in the crankcase and with the new style side mounted crankcase breather (Slobber Tube) will throw a fine mist of oil which will cover your toad. The second part of the problem is that if you do have a rear radiator since the slobber tube dumps straight down this oil film will mix with dirt and eventually plug your radiator and aftercooler and cause overheating problems. I have pictures somewhere what I designed to re-route my slobber tube if you are interested. Recalibrating the dipstick requires an oil change and putting new marks on the dipstick.