iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Why I live in California (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/why-i-live-in-california-190365.html)

Arch Hoagland 01-21-2014 12:39 AM

Why I live in California

When I see people on here leaving California complaining about the high cost of living and our taxes I think of this.

The People vs Winter - YouTube

mohamer 01-21-2014 02:34 AM

kalifornia

I decided I did not need to be in kalifornia when I was pulled over on the interstate for excessive smoke emmissions from my diesel pickup.
The truck was tagged in Missouri, did not get a ticket, just got harrassed.:cool:

njs42 01-21-2014 05:08 AM

I once played in the snow and went surfing on the same day

I decided I did not need to be in kalifornia when I was pulled over on the interstate for excessive smoke emmissions from my diesel pickup.
The truck was tagged in Missouri, did not get a ticket, just got harrassed.

I have lived in a lot of places, California for many years was one of them. I still have a lot of family and friends there, in fact most because my days there were my formative years. They are all living decent enjoyable lives as do most people in California.

The fact is most people every where live decent and enjoyable lives and adapt to the situation they live in quite well. That is here in the United States.

I remember well in the late fifties and early sixties literally not being able to breath the air in the Los Angeles basin cities. It made your throat hurt it was clogged with so much pollution. Had something not been done LA would not be habitable now I am quite sure. Same would be true of many cities in our country.

When driving the length of California last year as we have done twice in each of the past ten years I wrote down my thoughts as we traveled. It reminded me that California is a beautiful and majestic place. We should treat it well and do our best to rectify what ever it is there that does not work well.

I would not return to California for many reasons and some of them having to do with regulations etc; mostly however it is because I have set my roots down elsewhere. I enjoy the life I have where I am.

And the OP is right soaking up the Southern California sun whilst the remainder of the country is in a deep freeze makes you thankful to be somewhere else. And California in that regard will do nicely.

Dog Folks 01-21-2014 06:04 AM

Thanks for the video.

I prefer Florida, but then again, I am prejudiced.

Mr. Hipster 01-21-2014 06:07 AM

I'll remember that when the Santa Ana's fan the flames, and the earth trembles.

Clayobx 01-21-2014 06:45 AM

I also prefer FL. but I am also prejudice being a native. As a young man several buds and I traveled the coast of CA catching great waves and enjoying the country side. These memories will remain very special. CA. is a great state with wonderful diversified small towns and tremendous cities. My son lived in southern CA for twelve years only work took him away. I am sure he will return again. Thanks for the video I'll watch it again tonight as we cover our outside plants for the umpteenth time and the temp falls bellowing freezing once again! :nonono:

offshore 01-21-2014 08:36 AM

I'll take my hurricanes any day, at lease I can run from them.

SeeTheUSA 01-21-2014 08:58 AM

I think California is a wonderful place to visit. :thumb:

dons2346 01-21-2014 09:05 AM

I love the roads leading out of Taxifornia

wnytaxman 01-21-2014 09:35 AM

A client of mine moved to California and she had a great expression about California. She said "California is like breakfast cereal. Once you take out the fruit and the nuts all you have left are the flakes." What I have seen in my visits to the Golden State have done nothing to change that statement.

vincee 01-21-2014 10:36 AM

Meet a client through work who "moved and retired" in Western New York (Buffalo to some) from Carson City, CA. His reasoning was that CA was too expensive to live in for retired folks and that it was fast becoming a young person only state. He sold his quaint 3br 11/2bath cape cod for 800K and moved to one of Buffalo's wealthier sub-burbs and bought what he called a palace for just over 300K.

I realize that the geography of the state is breath taking beautiful. However, IMHO the politics and taxes that exist there would prevent me from ever wanting to move there. Had a job interview one time and I was asked if there is one place I would not accept a transfer to, and of course I answered California.:facepalm:

milasman 01-21-2014 10:50 AM

All the "Flakes" in California migrated here, hardly any are native.

milasman 01-21-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offshore (Post 1893274)
I'll take my hurricanes any day, at lease I can run from them.

Hurricanes much worse in dollar damage and lives lost than earthquakes.

milasman 01-21-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dons2346 (Post 1893319)
I love the roads leading out of Taxifornia

You must love roads that are in need of serious repairs.