iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Another Michelin Tire question (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/another-michelin-tire-question-191721.html)

adonh 02-01-2014 05:25 PM

Another Michelin Tire question

My 39' single rear axle coach has Michelin 225/75/70R 22.5 XZA2 Energy tires and I am looking to replace all 6 very soon. In looking at the Welcome to Michelin North America RV Website site I see they have other versions listed as well. Are there other Michelin tires that I should also consider as a replacement over the XZA2 Energy tires. Thanks

Doggy Daddy 02-01-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adonh (Post 1909380)
My 39' single rear axle coach has Michelin 225/75/70R 22.5 XZA2 Energy tires and I am looking to replace all 6 very soon. In looking at the Welcome to Michelin North America RV Website site I see they have other versions listed as well. Are there other Michelin tires that I should also consider as a replacement over the XZA2 Energy tires. Thanks

I believe your tire has a low profile which may be required for your chassis suspension and wheel well.
I have the Michelin 235/80R 22.5 XRV which is very popular BUT Michelin makes a variety of tires for RV's.
Michelin North America RV Tires Page You'll have to do the comparisons of features and price.

adonh 02-01-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy (Post 1909415)
I believe your tire has a low profile which may be required for your chassis suspension and wheel well.
I have the Michelin 235/80R 22.5 XRV which is very popular BUT Michelin makes a variety of tires for RV's.
Michelin North America RV Tires Page You'll have to do the comparisons of features and price.

It looks like the XZA2 Energy tires come in my 225/75/70R J configuration. I am off the the Michelin shop first of the week to get details and confirm FMCA pricing discount.Thanks

GaryKD 02-01-2014 07:14 PM

If they fit your coach, consider staying with the XZA2. I have these tires. Same size and load rating as you need. They are performing outstandingly. I would make the same purchase again. Check the date codes of the dealer you will purchase from. If you are in the south, this is a good time to purchase tires. Dealers are stocked because of all the snow birds about to go north.

dans1999f-53 02-03-2014 08:10 PM

Don't buy Michelin period. No uv additives and they will sidewall rot very quickly. I just changed Goodyears that were made in 1999 with no sidewall cracks!!!

adonh 02-04-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dans1999f-53 (Post 1912419)
Don't buy Michelin period. No uv additives and they will sidewall rot very quickly. I just changed Goodyears that were made in 1999 with no sidewall cracks!!!

tell us more

Muddypaws 02-04-2014 09:15 AM

If you must

If I were looking for tires now I'd look at Toyo first.

If you must have Michelins you might want to join the FMCA just to get the discount.

4 of the 6 tires I've had explode on me were Goodyears. GY is not on my list.

1ciderdog 02-04-2014 11:16 AM

As something to think about you might consider the revolutions per mile of the replacement tires. I recently changed from Michelin XRV to Michelin XZE (same size tire 255/70/22.5) but there is 23 revolutions per mile difference. That works out to be about 5% which results in about 5% speedometer and odometer error.

rhusak 02-04-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryKD (Post 1909514)
If they fit your coach, consider staying with the XZA2. I have these tires. Same size and load rating as you need. They are performing outstandingly. I would make the same purchase again. Check the date codes of the dealer you will purchase from. If you are in the south, this is a good time to purchase tires. Dealers are stocked because of all the snow birds about to go north.

Hi All..
I bought my coach last year with 3 year old Michelin's on it.. This season while taking it out of it's winter sleep I was shocked to find "micro" cracking on all 4 visible tires.. I went to a Michelin dealer an
d he said.. Naw not a problem just cosmetic! P said so is a flat.. It is still round on 3 sides!
I will NEVER buy another Michelin on anything I own. I will never buy another one on anything I own! My 97 Eagle had Goodyears that were 6 years old and had about 60K on them... Yeah, One had slight rivering on it but rotated it to the rear and they always rode well and no checking air loose just good service..
Just my .02
Ron

adonh 02-04-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhusak (Post 1913270)
Hi All..
I bought my coach last year with 3 year old Michelin's on it.. This season while taking it out of it's winter sleep I was shocked to find "micro" cracking on all 4 visible tires.. I went to a Michelin dealer an
d he said.. Naw not a problem just cosmetic! P said so is a flat.. It is still round on 3 sides!
I will NEVER buy another Michelin on anything I own. I will never buy another one on anything I own! My 97 Eagle had Goodyears that were 6 years old and had about 60K on them... Yeah, One had slight rivering on it but rotated it to the rear and they always rode well and no checking air loose just good service..
Just my .02
Ron

The Michelin's on the coach now are over 5 yrs old, nothing like this at all. Even ware no problems. Anyone else experienced this with newer Michelin's. Maybe has something to do with where they were mad. Mine have stamped on the side made in Spain.

C350AMG 02-04-2014 06:33 PM

Guys, I am by far not a tire expert but here are my 2 cents.

My rig is a 98 on 19.5 Michelin XRV and I currently have to change the tires in May because of age. They are 10years old no cracks and based on the dept of tread could be good for still a long time. I have 188000 km and this rig had 2 sets of tires so you could say 90000km on this set.

For me it's a no brainer Michelin XRV will go there again

Quinlan1112 02-04-2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C350AMG (Post 1913719)
Guys, I am by far not a tire expert but here are my 2 cents. My rig is a 98 on 19.5 Michelin XRV and I currently have to change the tires in May because of age. They are 10years old no cracks and based on the dept of tread could be good for still a long time. I have 188000 km and this rig had 2 sets of tires so you could say 90000km on this set. For me it's a no brainer Michelin XRV will go there again

I've been running 255/80r22.5 xze. No problems.