iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Operating 2 slides at same time (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/operating-2-slides-at-same-time-193472.html)

shortboxer 02-17-2014 07:05 PM

Operating 2 slides at same time

Just curious. I would never try it but does anyone ever operate 2 slides at the same time? Either both out at same time or back in at same time? I would imagine it's not a good idea.

KJD 02-17-2014 07:17 PM

On my 2005 Suncruiser you cant on account one button is up in the front for the living room slide. The Bedroom slide in naturally in the bedroom in the back. Now I suspose if the wife would hold in one buttom and myself the other one..............Naw that's not gonna happen anyways......................KJD

wnytaxman 02-17-2014 07:18 PM

We have done that more often than once with no ill effects. We have four slides and have moved both on one side or one on each side and never had any issues.

PushedAround 02-17-2014 07:20 PM

On bedroom slides the DS is electric while the PS (much longer) is hydraulic & I have done both at the same time.

Koop 02-17-2014 07:25 PM

I won't do it. Slide operation requires focus. I check and double check that I have the necessary clearances. Then, when I activate the slide I stay focused and ready to abort the operation at the first sign of trouble.

If you always operate your slides as if you expect trouble, it'll probably never happen. That's my approach.

NRF 02-17-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koop (Post 1932264)
I won't do it. Slide operation requires focus. I check and double check that I have the necessary clearances. Then, when I activate the slide I stay focused and ready to abort the operation at the first sign of trouble.

If you always operate your slides as if you expect trouble, it'll probably never happen. That's my approach.

This is very good advice. You have to watch and maybe more importantly "listen" to the sound of each slide so you know if there are any odd sounds that may be particular to each individual slide

vsheetz 02-17-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koop (Post 1932264)
I won't do it. Slide operation requires focus. I check and double check that I have the necessary clearances. Then, when I activate the slide I stay focused and ready to abort the operation at the first sign of trouble. If you always operate your slides as if you expect trouble, it'll probably never happen. That's my approach.

Excellent response.

dons2346 02-17-2014 09:16 PM

I see no reason to operate more than one slide at a time. Operating the slides is a strain on the batteries and I try to not put any more strain on them than necessary, especially if dry camping.

hawgguy 02-17-2014 09:21 PM

I'm too paranoid. I like to listen; I know what odd sounds emanate (especially with my full-wall slide) and which are normal. Plus, we're talkin' 30 seconds - what's the rush?

fastcat 02-17-2014 09:56 PM

On mine only one at a time will work.

Doesn't matter 'cause it's a really BAD idea anyway. :facepalm::facepalm:

"007" 02-17-2014 10:13 PM

Its not advisable because of thoughts mention but advisable, have your shore line plugged in as to not put a strain on your house batteries or chassis if that is used.
Do not want the slides stopping in middle of operation.

JohnRR 02-17-2014 10:19 PM

I've never given it a thought nor have I attempted it and doubt I ever will.

JFXG 02-17-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortboxer (Post 1932214)
.......anyone ever operate 2 slides at the same time? .....

Even 1 slide puts a heavy draw on the batteries. If possible, I run my slides while plugged in, and one at a time so we can pay attention.

Alan_Hepburn 02-17-2014 11:48 PM

In our Bounder there are two switches for the slides: one lets us select the living room slide or the bedroom slide, the other lets us select extend or retract. Unless I pull the switches out and bypass them there is no way to operate both slides simultaneously.

At one time we had a 5th wheel with 3 hydraulic slides, and it had a single switch labeled In and Out - to extend the slides you held it in the Out position and the main living room slide would extend, then the kitchen slide, then the bedroom slide. Coming back in was the same: the living room, then the entertainment center, then the bedroom. If I only wanted to extend or retract a single slide I had to go outside to where the hydraulic manifold was installed and shut off the valves to the slides I didn't want to move.