iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   New Water Filter System (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/new-water-filter-system-19513.html)

JerryKelly 04-07-2007 12:39 PM

I am looking into an improved whole coach filter system that will maximize filtering and flow. I am looking at 3M's WV-B3 filter system which flows at 3.5 gpm. I believe the Newmar standard canister filter is 2.5 gpm. Not sure if it is worth the cost of upgrading but tired of constantly refilling the water tank. I am also looking a a few external marine water softeners. Any feedback?

JerryKelly 04-07-2007 12:39 PM

I am looking into an improved whole coach filter system that will maximize filtering and flow. I am looking at 3M's WV-B3 filter system which flows at 3.5 gpm. I believe the Newmar standard canister filter is 2.5 gpm. Not sure if it is worth the cost of upgrading but tired of constantly refilling the water tank. I am also looking a a few external marine water softeners. Any feedback?

hondo122 04-07-2007 02:10 PM

Jerry, it's not just Newmar, I'm looking to do something similar. Softened water is appealing on lots of levels. Keep us posted. If I come up with a system I'll post it.
Mike http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/sun_smiley.gif

JerryKelly 04-07-2007 02:39 PM

I am looking at a filter system made by 3M and a marine water softener that I can leave at my summer site in Michigan. The water softener is made by Boji. Boji Filters

Brigadoon 04-08-2007 04:24 PM

Here is a site that has lots of info, it might help you:

RV Water Filter Store

I have a system that goes through a 1 micron sediment filter, then a 1 micron carbon block filter prior to going through the pressure regulator. The regulator is one of the better Watts models. I have good water flow.

"007" 04-08-2007 06:25 PM

Couple of links of interest http://irv2.infopop.cc/images/nod.gif

Filter installation

ROMOS

PhxJack 04-11-2007 09:09 PM

This won't help your soft water situation, but if you are looking for good, safe drinking water I would recommend installing a Reverse Osmosis (RO) system. I have been using them in my homes for the last 20 years or so and I put one in my 2003 Dutch Star as soon as I got it. With all the different water sources one utilizes while travelling and having water sitting in a tank, who knows what kind of potentially dangerous things are in your drinking water. With an RO system you not only eliminate virtually all of the bad stuff, but the water tastes great too.
I installed a "Zero Water Loss" unit from Watts in mine and also just last month in a friend's Mountain Aire as well. It uses a pump (either 12 volt or 110 volt- I use the 110 volt) which not only pumps the excess water (RO systems typically put 4 gallons of water down the drain for every 1 gallon that goes in the tank) back into the fresh water tank, but it also helps to insure that there is sufficient system pressure for the RO unit to function.
Incidentally, I researched soft water systems for my coach also, but I couldn't find a fully automatic one like you have in a home and I decided it wasn't worth the trouble to do the rather time consuming recharging procedures just to have soft water for our 2 minute showers.

Dav5942 04-12-2007 05:38 AM

PhxJack, I thought the "Zero loss" was zero loss. Have tried to contact Watts to verify, but 4 to 1 going back to the tank would work fine. Dave

hoosier1 04-12-2007 08:40 AM

A water softener you should look at is one by Water King. I have this system and have used it for 18 months. I liked it so much I'm now selling it while I travel. Their web site is www.waterkingusa.com. It requires no salt and no maintenance. Just plug it in and go. I built mine into my water bay. If you send me your email address, I will send you some pictures of my installation. I will have some at rally in Gillette.

John Pilkington
2007 MADP 4523

JerryKelly 04-13-2007 07:45 PM

I have decided to buy the Mark 8000 water softener (Flowpur), add a pre-sediment filter canister and change out the whole coach filter from a .5 micron to a 5 micron to increase flow. I have been told that the 5 micron will protect against most things except cysts, which should only be of concern if traveling in Canada or Mexico.

KarenEK 04-15-2007 06:58 PM

Cysts in Canada? What are you referring to? The quality of our water in most Provinces is very good. Please advise as to where your information comes from? Thanks.

JerryKelly 04-15-2007 07:27 PM

I was told by several water filter suppliers that I should use a .5 micron filter when traveling in Canada and Mexico. Not sure if it is fact or fiction.

PhxJack 04-16-2007 06:54 AM

Dav5942, The "zero water loss" simply means that the excess water is not flushed down the drain. In home units it is pumped into the hot water line and when I installed it in my DS I ran it into the fresh water fill line, hence back into the fresh water tank. If you want more info you might want to contact Mark Henss at Watts- his direct number is 623-505-1531.

Dav5942 04-16-2007 07:20 AM

Thanks Jack, Dave