iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Humidity (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/humidity-195396.html)

Lakeman1 03-06-2014 07:52 PM

Humidity

We are staying in Myrtle Beach, SC for the month of March. Got here Monday and it has been cold and raining the whole week and will tomorrow also. I just noticed that the interior of the exterior walls are sweating. I first noticed it in the medicine cabinet and started checking and it's around all three slides. I have heard of this but never had the problem. This is a 38' Pace Arrow. The humidity is over 70%. Anyone have a solution?

bluegrassrv 03-06-2014 08:42 PM

Open your cabinets and run a small fan to keep the air circulating. Gas heat is good at keeping the moisture down. Hang in there, Saturday and Sunday are suppose to be nice.

tedgard01 03-06-2014 08:55 PM

Go to Wal-Mart and get a few of the DampRid buckets. They are very cheep. Put one or two in the front portion of the RV and one or two in the rear portion of the RV. You will be surprised at how fast it sucks the moisture out of the coach. I have a 33' coach and when ever I have a moisture issue, it is totally controlled when I open one or two DampRid buckets.

Lakeman1 03-06-2014 09:04 PM

Actually gas heat (open flame) puts moisture into the air. But I don't think you were talking open flame. I am running an electric heater with the furnace as supplemental. You are right about this weekend. When we go out I will run both ACs on high fan, that should do it. This unit has double pane windows otherwise it would be a lot worse than it is. Thanks for the encouragement.

Lakeman1 03-06-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1957151)
Go to Wal-Mart and get a few of the DampRid buckets. They are very cheep. Put one or two in the front portion of the RV and one or two in the rear portion of the RV. You will be surprised at how fast it sucks the moisture out of the coach. I have a 33' coach and when ever I have a moisture issue, it is totally controlled when I open one or two DampRid buckets.

Cool, thanks will do tomorrow.

GPWayne 03-07-2014 12:35 AM

Sorry you are damp and cold. I store the MH next to the house and have it powered. Ran the heat pump every few days to keep it sort of dry. Sure runs up the power bill.

So I got a small dehumidifier from Wal-Mart. Should have done that years ago.
Work great. Dropped the humidity from near 80% to 60% in two days and holds it there while running on low auto. Uses less then 300 watts. No more wet window etc.

Hope your spring gets there soon.....Good Luck.

Pepper2 03-07-2014 06:07 AM

Open some vents a crack and run the fans, especially after showering and using the cook top.

Lakeman1 03-07-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPWayne (Post 1957366)
Sorry you are damp and cold. I store the MH next to the house and have it powered. Ran the heat pump every few days to keep it sort of dry. Sure runs up the power bill.

So I got a small dehumidifier from Wal-Mart. Should have done that years ago.
Work great. Dropped the humidity from near 80% to 60% in two days and holds it there while running on low auto. Uses less then 300 watts. No more wet window etc.

Hope your spring gets there soon.....Good Luck.

I was looking online at some small dehumidifiers but they would say kike would take 8oz out a day and I didn't think that would make a difference, will it? Do you know the model and brand of yours and the spec's? Does it have a compressor? Thanks

336muffin 03-07-2014 08:26 AM

Air movement is critical, a electric heater will help. We're in snow and ice with two electric heater's and a small fan with no problems.

Pepper2 03-07-2014 08:53 AM

[QUOTE=GPWayne;19573
So I got a small dehumidifier from Wal-Mart. Should have done that years ago..[/QUOTE]

Did you get the Eva Dry portable or a more substantial unit? Thanks

Lakeman1 03-07-2014 08:55 AM

I do have two fans running now. With the dual pane windows the windows are not sweating (except the windshield) but the window frames are sweating. I am online looking at dehumidifiers and the small less expensive ones use a Peltier system not a compressor. Anyone know anything about this system? Some say they will remove 8oz a day, is this a lot? Talking a 38' HotorHome. Thanks for everyone's input.

mcshanks 03-07-2014 09:21 AM

I bought a Soleus gl 70 from Lowes, it removes 70 pints a day.(Got 10% off Retired Navy)
No more full page ice displays on the windshield and the window frames are drip free.
DW says she no longer feels like she is underwater (COPD).
WE live in our 37ft unit near the Tn. river right now, fairly high humidity.

Rodneykrantz 03-07-2014 09:39 AM

Next week looks nice hang in there On a different note be sure a eat at Prossers they have a great buffet at a good price
Prosser's Bar-B-Que - Murrells Inlet, SC | Yelp

Lakeman1 03-07-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz (Post 1957738)
Next week looks nice hang in there On a different note be sure a eat at Prossers they have a great buffet at a good price
Prosser's Bar-B-Que - Murrells Inlet, SC | Yelp

First place we went, go there all the time. On their evening buffet for $11.95 a good selection of seafood, flounder, fried shrimp, deviled crab, oysters, clam strips and scallops and all the other like chicken and BBQ, hard to beat. It's good home cooking. You need to try Greg's Cabana Bar, HWY 17 in front of Wal mart. We will be here about five months this year, not all at once.