iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (http://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   Prospective New Tiffin Owner (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/prospective-new-tiffin-owner-195730.html)

jsfare 03-09-2014 06:56 PM

Prospective New Tiffin Owner

Greetings All:

My husband and I are in serious pursuit of our first Class A MH and have narrowed our search to Tiffin, or possibly Newmar. We live in the northeast and I was wondering if any of you had recommendations or comments on Tiffin Dealers in this part of the country, pro or con, that we might consider. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. FYI, we have zeroed in on the Allegro 31SA model as the best fit for our needs.

In addition, any thoughts on Tiffin vs. Newmar are also welcomed.

Thank you!

bobandshaz 03-09-2014 07:29 PM

:dance:Good choices for sure......:welcome:

Both good MHs.

Steve N Sal 03-09-2014 07:41 PM

They're both good coaches but we opted for the Newmar. Hard to beat their quality fit and finish. JMHO

Ramets 03-10-2014 09:05 AM

After looking and reading everything I could on both name brands for quite awhile, I settled on a Newmar. I almost pulled the trigger on a Tiffin more than once, but I kept reading about owners yearly treks to Red Bay, Al. where they are built to get things fixed. I know Tiffin has a great reputation of taking care of owners, but I don't want to go to Red Bay for maint. I just read recently that the Tiffin campground was full, and the overflow campground was full also of owners getting repairs. That's not what I bought my Motorhome for. My Dutch Star has never seen Nappanee where it was built.

iHoliday 03-10-2014 09:24 AM

My GF and I just bought a 2004 Tiffin 30' Open Road. We looked at other brands of similar vintage. It was an easy decision. I'm sure Tiffin makes the top 5 list. Good luck with your purchase. :)

itgeekgal 03-10-2014 09:43 AM

We have been very pleased with our Tiffin Phaeton, although towing uphill we do get pretty slow. We've also heard wonderful things about Newmar and thoroughly enjoyed the test drive of the Comfort Drive system. The Tiffin factory has an open door policy like none I've seen anywhere, that said I understand Newmar is very open to the owner experience also and is the most flexible when it comes to customizing a new purchase.

We plan to check out the Newmar Factory and our 2nd coach will either be another Tiffin or a Newmar.

tanstaafl 03-10-2014 09:59 AM

We just bought a 2014 36LA and are very pleased with it. The reports of people having to go to Red Bay for repairs are over exaggerated in my opinion. Any repairs we needed were taken care of at a local repair shop.

We wound up buying ours in Memphis because they beat any of the local dealers prices by $10,000.

becks 03-10-2014 10:19 AM

For great Tiffin info hop over to tiffinrvnetwork.com

Prouser 03-10-2014 08:43 PM

We looked very closely at both coaches but we ordered and purchased a Tiffin 34TGA. We live in CA but flew to Florida (three weeks ago) to Lazydays in Tampa. What a great experience! We shopped the country and received our best deal from Lazydays and even saved enough to fund a two week vacation driving home. Only a couple very minor issues that were taken care of by Lazydays prior to our departure while staying (for free) in there beautiful campgrounds! Give Phillip Collie a call, he is a terrific gentlemen and delivered on every commitment. We have now driven approximately 3,000 miles and spent 16 nights in the coach without a single issue!! :thumb:

jsfare 03-11-2014 08:16 AM

This is very interesting. We did the same thing with our current motorhome (2010 Unity 24MB by Leisure Travel Vans) only we drove to Florida from NY to turn in our old one. The dealership we dealt with was anything but great, so it is good to know there are good ones out there! If you don't mind my asking, how do you handle service (warranty or otherwise) when you are so far from where you made the purchase?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prouser (Post 1962606)
We looked very closely at both coaches but we ordered and purchased a Tiffin 34TGA. We live in CA but flew to Florida (three weeks ago) to Lazydays in Tampa. What a great experience! We shopped the country and received our best deal from Lazydays and even saved enough to fund a two week vacation driving home. Only a couple very minor issues that were taken care of by Lazydays prior to our departure while staying (for free) in there beautiful campgrounds! Give Phillip Collie a call, he is a terrific gentlemen and delivered on every commitment. We have now driven approximately 3,000 miles and spent 16 nights in the coach without a single issue!! :thumb:

tanstaafl 03-11-2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsfare (Post 1963037)
If you don't mind my asking, how do you handle service (warranty or otherwise) when you are so far from where you made the purchase?

Tiffin will authorize a repair facility of your choosing to perform warranty work.

jsfare 03-11-2014 08:24 AM

Thank you all very much for your replies. Any and all information is appreciated. It's a big decision for us and not one we take lightly, so it is great to hear from people who actually have had experience, either with this brand or specific dealers.

jsfare 03-11-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanstaafl (Post 1963042)
Tiffin will authorize a repair facility of your choosing to perform warranty work.

I did not know this. Thanks so much!

tanstaafl 03-11-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsfare (Post 1963046)
I did not know this. Thanks so much!

I had to talk to several repair shops before I found one willing to do the warranty work. Several of the ones I called would only work on RV's that were purchased from them. Fortunately for me the one I wound up using was also the closest one to where I live.